1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholics Joining The Episcopal Church

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by Franny50, May 9, 2011.

1. Franny50

Franny50 franny50

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    How common is it for catholics to join the episcopal church.My maternal grandparents were episcopalian and I attended both churches growing up,but do not follow all of the catholic teachings.Would I have to be reconfirmed?

2. New_Found_Faith

New_Found_Faith Senior Veteran Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    A lot of Catholics join TEC. I was a Catholic who did so, as was my parish priest. You would not have to be reconfirmed. At most, you would be allowed to be formally "recieved" into TEC when the Bishop came to your parish at some point during the year if you would like to be. :)

3. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    About half of our large church are former Roman Catholics. My GUESS is that this is a very large part of new membership in Episcopal and Anglican churches in many parts of the US.

Our family came from the Catholic to the TEC 2 1/2 years ago.

Maid Marie likes this.
  4. Franny50

Franny50 franny50

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I was wondering what the difference is between a "high church" and a "low church",and whether or not some episcopal churches still offer private confession?

5. Araceli

Araceli Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    The Low church is more evangelical than liturgical and they also let women be ordained. As for the High Church, it varies. The High Churches commonly tend to disagree with women ordination. Some High Anglican Churches believe in the transubstantiation. Many of them also have private confession available. Some High Churches also honor Mary and pray to her and the saints. I'm Catholic, but I occasionally attend the local High Anglican church to pray along during their rosary hour. In a lot of ways, it's like Catholic-lite.

6. EricOntario

EricOntario Guest

I'm also a former Catholic who joined the Anglican Church. I go to a somewhat "high" church but there is no veneration of Mary or private confession in general. A church that makes those things part of everyday importance would have to be very high, I think, as it's not very common and not of great importance to most Anglicans (at least around here).

7. ContraMundum

ContraMundum Messianic Jewish Christian Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Not always. In fact, the most "Low church/evangelical" diocese I know of on the planet (Sydney) does not, nor does the REC/FCofE either.

8. Franny50

Franny50 franny50

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Are catholics who are not yet formally received into tec allowed to receive communion?

9. MKJ

MKJ Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-Greens
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Yes, normally any baptized Christian who would receive in his own church would be allowed to.

Mot priests will do private confession - they should - but often you will have to ask and make an appointment. It is more common in high churches. A few very Romish ones even have confessional booths.

10. PaladinValer

PaladinValer Traditional Orthodox Anglican

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    There are many Vatican Catholics who convert to the Anglican Communion. I do not know how exactly "common" it is, although my mother was an extremely nominal Roman Catholic who converted officially last Advent and I know of many Episcopalians and other Anglicans, both in the Communion and of the Continuing Churches, who came from the Vatican Catholic Church.

As for Reconfirmation, that would not be necessary. We accept the validity and licity of all the sacraments of the Vatican Catholic Church. You need only be given a Rite of Reception whenever the Diocesan Bishop or an assisting or suffragen bishop were to given an official visit.

They relate to one's churchship; how they prefer the liturgy. High churches such as myself enjoy a more traditional and elaborate liturgy, with smells, bells, and all the options. Low churches tend to have a more basic but still meaningful and even beautiful liturgy, which just the required parts. There is also the broad church, which is basically a meeting in the middle of the two extremes (and which most parishes and missions tend to be).

Private confession is considered at the option of the individual, and a priest or bishop is, if he or she is worth his or her salt, happy to hear the private confessions of a Christian. We consider it a sacrament, and the priest or bishop is under canon law to be absolutely confidential about whatever is said.

All people who have been 1) given the Sacrament of Holy Baptist in 2) Trinitarian formula and 3) in Nicene Trinitarian dogma, 4) and are Nicene Christians are welcome to come forth to the altar and receive the Body and Blood.

11. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Greens
    Faith:
    Anglican
    PV: why do you use "Vatican Catholic" rather than "Roman Catholic"?

12. Franny50

Franny50 franny50

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    What are the major differences between The Lutheran and Episcopal churches,in terms of beliefs and liturgy

13. PaladinValer

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    1) It is in Vatican City, not truly Rome, in which that particular Communion is based in.
    2) Not all Vatican Catholics are Roman/Latin; there are still the Eastern Rites which are as much Vatican Catholics as the Roman Riters.
    3) Vatican City isn't targeted by that utterly ridiculous Fundamentalist idea of the "City of Seven Hills" nonsense.
    4) Anglicanism, Eastern Orthodoxy, etc, are just as Catholic as the Vatican Catholics are.

Lutherans are largely confessional traditionally, whereas Anglicans adhere to lex credendi lex oranti.

Lutherans have a very unique view of soteriology which is largely particular to them whereas Anglican soteriology is usually very vague. There are plenty of agreements, but we can and do have disagreements.

Really, there is more that is the same or similar than there is different, although IMO, we are more traditional than some forms of Lutheranism.

14. TomUK

TomUK What would Costanza do? Supporter

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    UK-Conservative
    Faith:
    Anglican
    As was revealed in Parliament a couple of months ago, at least 14 Roman Catholic priests (in reality higher) have converted from the Roman Catholic the Church of England in the past few years. In England the media have got a little obsessed with the ordinariate but failed to recognise that the flow of traffic goes both ways.

Maid Marie likes this.
  15. Franny50

Franny50 franny50

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    How can one find out whether a church is "High",or "Low",before attending services.I noticed no designation outside of the churches on the bulletin.Is there an episcopal directory?

16. PaladinValer

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    It is really hard to tell from the outside.

In the end, while everyone has a preference, attending liturgy is most important.

17. sbvd

sbvd Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    I feel happy there's only one priest in my island. That way I don't have to worry about high, low or middle

18. freezerman2000

freezerman2000 What a long,strange trip it's been! CF Ambassador Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    I was going to answer some questions, but the ones that I am sure of the answers, have already been addressed.:thumbsup:

19. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    There are usually clues on the church website. Holy Eucharist at every service is sort of a start. Cathedral churches in central cities tend be more high church and perhaps seem Anglo-Catholic. Consider Trinity in Boston. The most asked question is whether this is a Catholic or Episcopal Church. One would think that the female rector might give folks their answer.

Some churches have many different services to serve those who prefer various styles of worship. For example, we have four services (soon to be five), all very different.

But in reality, it is not as if we have separate denominations called "high" and "low" church.

20. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Greens
    Faith:
    Anglican
    1. But the Communion's symbol of unity is not the place but the person, and the person is the Bishop of Rome.
    2. The idea that Roman in RCC refers to the rite seems to be an invention of Catholics looking for an objection. "Roman Catholic" most sensibly refers to Catholics in full communion with the Bishop of Rome (and that's how Benedict uses the term along with Vatican documents).
    3. Hmm
    4. Arguable but not relevant to the point
    5. Roman Catholic is a self designation used by the Catholic Church occasionally and the current Pope. To the best of my knowledge "Vatican Catholic" is not.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
    Diane_Windsor likes this.