Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Out of hiding, some Kosovars embrace Christianity
By Fatos Bytyci

KLINA, Kosovo (Reuters) - Hundreds of Kosovar Albanians gather on Sundays to attend religious services in a still unfinished red-brick church in the Kosovo town of Klina . . .

"We have been living a dual life. In our homes we were Catholics but in public we were good Muslims," said Ismet Sopi. "We don't call this converting. It is the continuity of the family's belief."

The majority of ethnic Albanians were forcibly converted to Islam, mostly through the imposition of high taxes on Catholics, when the Ottoman Empire ruled the Balkans.

For centuries, many remembered their Christian roots and lived as what they call "Catholics in hiding". . .

http://theusdaily.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=531472&type=home

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
:prayer: May the will of Our Most High Lord God be done; May all of the Kosovars turn away from the false-unbelief of Mohammedanism unto the One True Holy Catholic and Apostolic faith.:crossrc:

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This doesn't surprise me. I worked in Kosovo in the winter of 1998 and one of my Albanian Translators, muslim, wore a Crucifix around his neck.

Also, all of the Albanians I met, Christian and Muslim, were very proud of the fact that their ancestors had been first Christian and that they had first received the Gospel in the first century.

They were simply unfortunate to have been forced to live under the Ottoman Empire for 600 years. Otherwise they would have all remained Roman Catholic to this day.

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Out of hiding, some Kosovars embrace Christianity
By Fatos Bytyci

KLINA, Kosovo (Reuters) - Hundreds of Kosovar Albanians gather on Sundays to attend religious services in a still unfinished red-brick church in the Kosovo town of Klina . . .
I was able to attend a service at that Church and receive the Eucharist in Dec, 1998. I also had supper with the Priest and the Nuns who served that Church. At the time, the Church was destroyed, having been blown up by the Serbian Gov't. The Government at that time refused to let them rebuild (They were Catholic in an Orthodox land after all).

In 1998 they had a small building next to the destroyed Church where they conducted the service. It was standing room only with scores of people outside, looking in the windows. The priest was unable to serve everybody the Eucharist, but he went out of his way to ensure that I did receive. I will remember that forever.

I am very happy to read here that they are finally getting to rebuild their church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

Mikeb85

not a fan of the orange revolution?
Every body wants to be in NATO, Russia needs to get over itself

Less than 20% of Ukrainians want to be in NATO, with most Ukrainians strongly opposing the idea... Their 'Orange' coalition in parliament recently fell apart. And the Orange revolution was a joke in the first place - an illegal movement sponsored by western money and NGOs, which never really enjoyed the support they claimed, but was helped along by the western propaganda machine. (and before you accuse me of being anti-Ukrainian or something, keep in mind that I'm ethnically Ukrainian)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Mike
Less than 20% of Ukrainians want to be in NATO, with most Ukrainians strongly opposing the idea... Their 'Orange' coalition in parliament recently fell apart. And the Orange revolution was a joke in the first place - an illegal movement sponsored by western money and NGOs, which never really enjoyed the support they claimed, but was helped along by the western propaganda machine. (and before you accuse me of being anti-Ukrainian or something, keep in mind that I'm ethnically Ukrainian
I am sorry if my post was to harsh, I am just worried about Russia,
I can understand why you would not want the Ukraine under the control of western powers, but really, if you are going to have a puppet government who would you rather have pulling the strings? The US or Russia? I am not going to presume to tell you about history, but other people here might not be familiar with history, they might now know that Russia starved at least 2 million ukrainians to death in order to pacify the the people there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Upvote 0
M

Mikeb85

I am sorry if my post was to harsh, I am just worried about Russia,
I can understand why you would not want the Ukraine under the control of western powers, but really, if you are going to have a puppet government who would you rather have pulling the strings? The US or Russia? I am not going to presume to tell you about history, but other people here might not be familiar with history, they might now know that Russia starved at least 2 million ukrainians to death in order to pacify the the people there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Russia today is not the Soviet Union. Plenty of Russians suffered under the Soviet Union as well. Keep in mind the Soviet Union was an athiest, communist state. Russia today is neither. People seem to forget this.

Not to mention, Ukraine's future is brighter as a friend and neighbor of Russia, not an enemy. And most of it's population would agree - as evidenced by recent public opinion polls and politics.

Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Mike
Not to mention, Ukraine's future is brighter as a friend and neighbor of Russia,
Ukraines future is brighter being a friend to the EU and not a nation that is inching back to being totolitarian under the skillfull hands of a former KGB agent

Upvote 0
M

Mikeb85

Ukraines future is brighter being a friend to the EU and not a nation that is inching back to being totolitarian under the skillfull hands of a former KGB agent

Think what you want of Putin, the fact remains that he has an 80% approval rating among his people. Compare that to Bush, or any other western politician.

Anyhow, we've hijacked this thread enough. The topic is Kosovo.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Mike
Think what you want of Putin, the fact remains that he has an 80% approval rating among his people.
I wrote out a long and thought out reply to this. But you are right we should not high jack the thread.
just remember Hitler was popular too

Upvote 0

Imperiuz

Liberty will prevail
May 22, 2007
Stockholm
✟21,093.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
+1
Kosovo is part of Serbia.

While they're at it, the US can also stop interfering in the affairs of the Ukraine and Georgia.
:amen: The United States should be dissolved, it does not have any right to exist.

I repost:

soka3.png

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.