Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bishop immediately condemns statement

By Kathleen Gilbert

GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan, October 28, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) -

Catholic Governor Jennifer Granholm urged Michigan Democrats on Sunday to support Proposal 2, a ballot measure that would allow embryonic stem cell (ESC) researchers to destroy human embryos, and asserted that such a measure is in accord with the Catholic Church's pro-life teaching.

"As a Catholic, I can say to be pro-cure is to be pro-life," she said.

The governor issued the remark at a Grand Rapids Obama rally, part of a tour across the western half of the state.

Bishop Earl Boyea of Lansing immediately criticized Granholm's statement for radically misrepresenting her Catholic faith. "Of course, Catholics and all other responsible citizens will continue to seek cures for disease and injury," said the bishop. "But to imply that Proposal 2 is a valid expression of Catholic principles is shocking. Nothing could be further from the truth."

Bishop Boyea emphasized the Church's unequivocal condemnation of the disregard for human life shown by those who consider human embryos expendable, noting that "the Catholic Bishops of Michigan have taken a strong position in opposition to this well-funded assault on human life.

"Saint Paul reminds us that we must preach the Truth in season and out of season. The Truth will never go unspoken. To be in favor of Proposal 2 is not to be pro-life. A well-formed Catholic conscience would never lead a person to support Proposal 2 'as a Catholic.'"

According to a Michigan Live article, supporters of ESC research have taken to the "pro-life" label, claiming that the destruction of embryos is justified for its potential to save other lives that may benefit from the research.

Catholic and pro-life organizations in Michigan have headed the effort to stop the ballot initiative, including the Michigan Catholic Conference, Right to Life Michigan, Democrats for Life of Michigan and the Family Research Council.

Michigan Live reports that polls show Proposal 2 in the lead among voters.
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ld...02808.html

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,339.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There oughta be a law that propositions and ballot initiatives can only be voted on in separate elections.

To me, they are primarily ploys to get a particular group's vote out (often the religious right's, but in this case people who would benefit from stem cell research, or whose families would benefit from stem cell research.)

John Kerry lost in 2004 because of all the gay marriage initiatives littering the ballots. The religious right wasn't all that enthused about George W. Bush, but the gay marriage initiatives brought them out in droves.

In the case of Michigan, this proposition may be bringing out the Obama voters (is it payback time?)

We have a bunch of propositions on our ballot designed to bring out the Focus on the Family crowd...

As far as the representative in question goes, it is wrong for her to misrepresent the Church's position. If she has a different position, she should mention it as being her position, adding that she has prayed over it and has come to this individual, personal conclusion as a matter of conscience.

Yes, she'll still be castigated in the Catholic media, but a lot of people will say to themselves, "Yes, that's what I do, too," and not think any less of her for it.

I know Eucharistic ministers with desperately ill children who will say that if stem cell research would restore their children's health, they would jump on the bandwagon. And no, other Catholics don't jump on them and say, "Sinners!" They think to themselves, "If I were faced with the terrible situation they are faced with, I could understand how they feel."

Upvote 0

MrStain

Nobody likes to be the Newbie
Dec 22, 2007
✟9,132.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There oughta be a law that propositions and ballot initiatives can only be voted on in separate elections.

To me, they are primarily ploys to get a particular group's vote out (often the religious right's, but in this case people who would benefit from stem cell research, or whose families would benefit from stem cell research.)

John Kerry lost in 2004 because of all the gay marriage initiatives littering the ballots. The religious right wasn't all that enthused about George W. Bush, but the gay marriage initiatives brought them out in droves.

In the case of Michigan, this proposition may be bringing out the Obama voters (is it payback time?)

We have a bunch of propositions on our ballot designed to bring out the Focus on the Family crowd...

As far as the representative in question goes, it is wrong for her to misrepresent the Church's position. If she has a different position, she should mention it as being her position, adding that she has prayed over it and has come to this individual, personal conclusion as a matter of conscience.

Yes, she'll still be castigated in the Catholic media, but a lot of people will say to themselves, "Yes, that's what I do, too," and not think any less of her for it.

I know Eucharistic ministers with desperately ill children who will say that if stem cell research would restore their children's health, they would jump on the bandwagon. And no, other Catholics don't jump on them and say, "Sinners!" They think to themselves, "If I were faced with the terrible situation they are faced with, I could understand how they feel."

Just to clarify. The Church does not have a problem with adult stem cell research. As a matter of fact, the Church has vigorously supported efforts to find cures & develop new therapies using adult stem cells. However, embryonic stem cell research is a whole different matter since it involves the destruction of innocent human life. That must be opposed.

Another thing worth mentioning is that adult stem cells have proven over and over again to be effective in human therapy while embryonic stem cells have produced nothing, but deceptive arguments for the pro-death crowd.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Another thing worth mentioning is that adult stem cells have proven over and over again to be effective in human therapy while embryonic stem cells have produced nothing, but deceptive arguments for the pro-death crowd.

True.

Upvote 0

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
in this week's National Catholic Register:

Vote ’o8: Clone and Kill
2 Candidates for Embryo Research, Only 1 for Cloning

BY Nicole Ficere Callahan

[...]

Human Cloning
While the candidates have both expressed the belief that “surplus” frozen embryos from in vitrofertilization clinics should be made available for federally funded research, McCain and Obama diverge on the issue of so-called “therapeutic cloning,” also known as somatic cell nuclear transfer. McCain is a co-sponsor of the human cloning ban introduced by Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., for which the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has voiced its support.

“McCain opposes, and Obama supports, legislation to authorize and fund the creation of human embryos by cloning for purposes of research and the production of stem-cell lines,” said Robert George, McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence at Princeton University and member of the President’s Council on Bioethics. “If this legislation passes, the number of embryos created and destroyed using taxpayer money would be massive.”

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.