Catholic Group Urges Boycott of Miller Brewing Co Over San Francisco Fair Sponsorship

Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I must've missed the part where charades and boycotts meant the same thing.

My most sincere apologies.
I'm not following. You did say the Catholic boycott was a charade didn't you? Like we've been pulling for almost 2,000 years.

Upvote 0

clarksided

Veteran
Sep 13, 2007
New Orleans
✟17,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not following. You did say the Catholic boycott was a charade didn't you? Like we've been pulling for almost 2,000 years.

Yes, I called it a charade. I didn't say it was the only sort of charade. The sale of indulgences, the Spanish inquisition, etc.

I mean the list of charades (and atrocities, for that matter) that we can credit to the Catholic church is nothing short of extraordinary.

Upvote 0

Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes, I called it a charade. I didn't say it was the only sort of charade. The sale of indulgences, the Spanish inquisition, etc.

I mean the list of charades (and atrocities, for that matter) that we can credit to the Catholic church is nothing short of extraordinary.
Yeah, but we're feeling much better now. ;)

Upvote 0

Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
True, you have evolved with time, and you're no where near as annoying as evangelicals/fundamentalists, but you still have your moments.
Nah. At the moment we are not nutjobs. Cool with evolution, science in general, but... we've still got to get past the 'gay is evil' thing. Most Catholics have. but the Vatican hasn't caught up. yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
San Francisco, Sep 27, 2007 / 11:25 am (CNA).- Following an uproar over its sponsorship of the annual homosexual event known as the Folsom Street Fair, Miller Brewing Company has pulled its support from the event.

The scuffle over the brewer’s sponsorship is over a poster for the fair that portrays half-naked sado-masochists as Christ and his disciples at the Last Supper.

After several groups voiced their opposition and outrage—among them Americans for Truth, The Catholic League and the Family Research Council—Miller withdrew their support saying, "While Miller has supported the Folsom Street Fair for several years, we take exception to the poster the organizing committee developed this year. We understand some individuals may find the imagery offensive and we have asked the organizers to remove our logo from the poster effective immediately," according to Cybercast News Service.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=10510

Alright, looks like you all can stop your silly boycott now. ;)

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
According to the article:

"Miller wants its logo removed from the poster"

If Miller takes steps to get the logo taken off, then why boycott Miller?

There are plenty of logos on that poster. Here is a link to it if anyone dares to look:
http://folsomstreetfair.org/images/fsf_posters/FSF2007_poster_print_800px.jpg
I think if the company removes their support,then it should not be boycotted.(of course, If you boycott it because of the taste then it won't matter)

I thought this poster was Miller's ad campaign. I guess its just advertsig for this "special event"?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Companies are usually eager to advertise in the gay market, because gays are among the most affluent demographic groups in the U.S.

Even in terms of numbers, I believe the US is about 25% Catholic, and, perhaps, 10% gay? (This does not take into consideration that some people may belong to both demographic categories.)

Finally, of those 25% Catholics, how many will stop drinking Miller Beer because of the ad?

I do believe that the ad is offensive, but I doubt if the Catholic League's boycott will carry enough clout to dissuade companies from advertising to the most affluent demographic group in America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SteveAtheist

Jun 28, 2007
✟8,812.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think if the company removes their support,then it should not be boycotted.(of course, If you boycott it because of the taste then it won't matter)

I thought this poster was Miller's ad campaign. I guess its just advertsig for this "special event"?

It seems as if the poster was created by the organizers of the event and the logos of the sponsors were just slapped on at the bottom. I don't think any of the sponsors had anything to do with the content of the poster.

Upvote 0