Catholic... But Not

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One cow-orker of mine makes a habit of talking about religion on a semi-regular basis. I confess this would be more annoying but my other cow-orkers make conversation frequently about politics. So I ask what it's worth? I'm sincerely not sure which is more off-putting.

But in the plus column Donald Trump and Pope Francis (and my hat is off) have both done amazing jobs with messaging because it seems like pretty much everybody in my office knows where they stand. Whether or not they like those things is... well, as always there's no accounting for taste.

So as I say my cow-orker makes a relatively annoying habit of talking about religion on the job. She made a big deal last week over the fact that her son's Confirmation was this past Saturday. I figured she was Catholic by the way she talked about her religious life but, as I overheard today while minding my own business and trying to do some work, she confirmed for a different cow-orker that she's a convert. I wish I didn't know any of this stuff. But now I do.

So anyway, she mentioned she was a lifelong Baptist but apparently swam the Tiber because her (second!) husband was Catholic and insisted. But she was careful to emphasize that she's "Catholic" rather than Catholic.

That is to say she's received her sacraments but she'd be the first to tell you (trust me) that she doesn't believe everything the Church teaches.

Now, up to this point what we had was a fairly aggravating cow-orker who doesn't understand you're supposed to avoid subjects like that. But when she mentioned that, I must tell you, folks, it just filled me with curiosity.

Don't get me wrong, the last thing I would ever do is encourage this type of behavior by probing for additional details. Don't feed the animals, you know? But when I dabbled with RCIA, I encountered quite a few people (mostly women, oddly enough) who were only joining the Church to appease their fiancee/spouse.

Now, obviously I'm a convert myself. But I converted because I believe the Church to be right. I would never in a million years (I'm not kidding; Satan would need a parka and heating pad before I would) have converted just to keep someone else happy. It would never happen!

That isn't hypothetical. When I was a kid, I dated several Catholic school girls (I went to public school) and each tried getting me to join the Church and I, being the angry young man that I was, told them maybe less politely than I could've thanks but no thanks, I'm never joining their religion.

Incidentally, God has a sense of humor.

But like I was saying, I was filled with curiosity over all this. The chatterbox cow-orker was not specific (and gosh I know too much about her personal life as it is because of her big blabbermouth so I wasn't about to ask for additional details, you dig?) so I couldn't be sure about which issues precisely she disagreed with the Church.

She doesn't buy into the Sunday obligation, for one thing. This I know for sure. So she misses Mass pretty much every Sunday. And it's not like she doesn't know what the Church teaches on this one. She knows and she openly disagrees and contradicts the Church. So I don't think Invincible Ignorance can apply to this (but who knows, right?).

Anyway, all of this is a (very long) way of asking how Catholic is my cow-orker really? Because it looks like the best anybody can say is she picks and chooses what she obeys and what she doesn't. The worst might be that she converted under false pretenses.

I'm not ordained or anything but I'm not sure if it's really accurate at all to call this woman a Catholic.

And guys, just to put this in perspective, if I miss Mass, either I have something contagious or I have a dispensation; one of the two. I receive the Body and the Blood as often as I can. These days I hit up Confession once per week. I pray several times per day. I'm not saying I'm perfect (actually, I'm saying I'm not perfect, hence Confession every seven days) but dang it I'm trying my best here.

I think an unbiased outsider might say "Colors is a really crappy Catholic.. but he is recognizably Catholic. That cow-orker of his though, I dunno about her."

I won't bother her with this (because people aren't supposed to talk about this stuff at work for crying out loud!!), I'm just asking from input from people who probably know more about this type of thing than I do.

Is someone Catholic if they've received their sacraments but rarely (if ever) attend Mass and they disagree with Church dogmas??

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
good questions. from all accounts her formation in the faith as a Catholic was never finished, but she has the necessary documents to prove that at one time she was on the pathway to becomming one.

sort of like a half-baked potato; still recognizeable as a potato, but could use more time in the oven.;)

• Agree
Reactions: xTx
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Lots of speculation about her individual faith journey and marital and family relationships. My advice is to let go and let God.
My "speculation" is based on her own words. I'm simply curious about how accurate it even is to call her Catholic.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My "speculation" is based on her own words. I'm simply curious about how accurate it even is to call her Catholic.
Well... It is my understanding that since the Church accepted her that she is Catholic. Maybe not a practicing one but Catholic none the less. As far as converts... since I am one myself, I think only she would know. Why did she join? When she publically declared her promises to the Church did she mean it? Was it just to get from point A to B? Did she ever have any intention of following the Church? Who knows. But many convert because of marriage with not much interest in anything past the wedding. That could change of course. If she has any religious background she actually practiced, that can be causing confusion as well. Conversion is a long struggle and process for some of us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,418.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I also think it's positive that she decided to become a Catholic so that her children and family would all practice the same faith. She may not have had her heart completely in it--but she did it for the sake of her children and family, and that's a good thing.

It seems to me that many converts retain some of the ideas and practices of their childhood faiths. There is still a lot of Baptist in my formerly-Baptist friends who have converted.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I also think it's positive that she decided to become a Catholic so that her children and family would all practice the same faith. She may not have had her heart completely in it--but she did it for the sake of her children and family, and that's a good thing.

It seems to me that many converts retain some of the ideas and practices of their childhood faiths. There is still a lot of Baptist in my formerly-Baptist friends who have converted.
agreed, converts have a rough road to travel in the Church.
even those that want to be there have an ongoing struggle to be accepted.

it feels like there's this sign hung around your neck that says
"wild vine, grafted in".

doing it for the children?
absolutely.
because the children will have the grace and good taste to be born
Cradle Catholics, of course!

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
According to the Catechism

Those Who Are Not Members Of The Church

Hence there are but three classes of persons excluded from the Church's pale: infidels, heretics and schismatics, and excommunicated persons. Infidels are outside the Church because they never belonged to, and never knew the Church, and were never made partakers of any of her Sacraments. Heretics and schismatics are excluded from the Church, because they have separated from her and belong to her only as deserters belong to the army from which they have deserted. It is not, however, to be denied that they are still subject to the jurisdiction of the Church, inasmuch as they may be called before her tribunals, punished and anathematised. Finally, excommunicated persons are not members of the Church, because they have been cut off by her sentence from the number of her children and belong not to her communion until they repent.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Too speculative to say.
It's what is in her heart... however; she isn't 'practicing' and that's all we can know.
Nominal Catholic, I suppose.
Maybe once she gets passed this disagreement.
My advice - pray for her full conversion in heart to be open fully.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I searched the Catechism of the Catholic Church for the wording of this paragraph at the K of C site, and, as I suspected, it wasn't there.

Could you please list the source of this quote and the name of this catechism?
It's from the Catechism of the Council of Trent.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll quote the Baltimore Catechism since it is in question and answer format and easier to understand.

Q. 554. Could a person who denies only one article of our faith be a Catholic?
A. A person who denies even one article of our faith could not be a Catholic; for truth is one and we must accept it whole and entire or not at all.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,794.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And I personally think we should stop deciding whether or not this lady is a member of the Church - that is something that her priest should be dealing with - not a crowd of people on a message board who do not know her.

I'm not saying that 'thecolorsblend' is wrong - but he still only sees what she wants him to see.

In years past people were expected to join the Church to be able to have a Church wedding - so they did - but I wonder just how good their catechesis was - and did they really practice ?

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And I personally think we should stop deciding whether or not this lady is a member of the Church - that is something that her priest should be dealing with

The Church has already spoken on the matter.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Being a bad Catholic doesn't make you un-Catholic.

However, there is a genuine question whether the rite of entry into the Church was valid, given her deception. That's a whole other ball of wax. I'm sure it's problematic because she received the Sacrament of Confirmation in a Catholic church, whether she lied or not. You'd have to ask a priest.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I'll quote the Baltimore Catechism since it is in question and answer format and easier to understand.

Q. 554. Could a person who denies only one article of our faith be a Catholic?
A. A person who denies even one article of our faith could not be a Catholic; for truth is one and we must accept it whole and entire or not at all.
The Baltimore Catechism also taught Limbo.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
According to the Catechism

Those Who Are Not Members Of The Church

Hence there are but three classes of persons excluded from the Church's pale: infidels, heretics and schismatics, and excommunicated persons. Infidels are outside the Church because they never belonged to, and never knew the Church, and were never made partakers of any of her Sacraments. Heretics and schismatics are excluded from the Church, because they have separated from her and belong to her only as deserters belong to the army from which they have deserted. It is not, however, to be denied that they are still subject to the jurisdiction of the Church, inasmuch as they may be called before her tribunals, punished and anathematised. Finally, excommunicated persons are not members of the Church, because they have been cut off by her sentence from the number of her children and belong not to her communion until they repent.
For many many years ,I have been Afraid to finally cut the cordon of fear which kept me half way in the RCC , but I am now, a truly happy well versed Christian, without fear, at last .

Upvote 0