Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
The Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King, is the seat of the Archbishop of Liverpool and the mother church of the Archdiocese of Liverpool, England.

Liverpudlians affectionately call the cathedral "Paddy's Wigwam" because of the large number of Liverpool Catholics who are Irish or of Irish descent , and because of its general resemblance to a Native American teepee.

First Mass Celebrated In Liverpool Cathedral Crypt in 1937 by Archbishop Downey....

Designed by Sir Frederick Gibberd,the cathedral was finished in 1967 . You can see how much it had changed from the original design shown in the clip above . It was opened on the Feast of Pentecost , 1967 . The street which links the cathedral to the 1978 Liverpool Anglican Cathedral Church Of Christ , the 5th largest cathedral in the world , is aptly named Hope Street .

Consecration Of New Cathedral......

O Holy Night , sung during a televised Christmas Midnight Mass from the cathedral....

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Cité Saint-Pierre (Secours Catholique).....

This place of accommodating pilgrims was born from the idea of St Bernadette Soubirous that those who had little or no financial resources could come on pilgrimage to Lourdes . In 1955, Monseigneur Théas, the, then, Bishop of Tarbes and Lourdes, asked Monseigneur Rodhain, Secretary-General of Secours Catholique, to respond to the wish of Bernadette. He suggested that they acquire a property of several hectares, located beneath the Béout, only fifteen minutes, on foot, from the Grotto of the Apparitions. To be accepted in the Cité Saint-Pierre, it is necessary to come to Lourdes, on pilgrimage, to be considered to be living in a situation of material, moral and spiritual poverty, not to have the means to pay for a hotel. Application must be made to the diocesan delegation or national office of Caritas of one's country.

Mass is often celebrated there in the open air , hence the name Cathedral of the Trees .

A link to a Westminster Diocesan website showing the celebration of the Eucharist there during the Westminster Diocesan Pilgrimage.....https://www.flickr.com/photos/catholicwestminster/sets/72157646022073974/

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King, is the seat of the Archbishop of Liverpool and the mother church of the Archdiocese of Liverpool, England.

Liverpudlians affectionately call the cathedral "Paddy's Wigwam" because of the large number of Liverpool Catholics who are Irish or of Irish descent , and because of its general resemblance to a Native American teepee.

First Mass Celebrated In Liverpool Cathedral Crypt in 1937 by Archbishop Downey....

Designed by Sir Frederick Gibberd,the cathedral was finished in 1967 . You can see how much it had changed from the original design shown in the clip above . It was opened on the Feast of Pentecost , 1967 . The street which links the cathedral to the 1978 Liverpool Anglican Cathedral Church Of Christ , the 5th largest cathedral in the world , is aptly named Hope Street .

Consecration Of New Cathedral......

O Holy Night , sung during a televised Christmas Midnight Mass from the cathedral....

That was an ultra modern design for its time in Liverpool. The procession of Priests has quite a few Irish looking heads in it...;)

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
That was an ultra modern design for its time in Liverpool. The procession of Priests has quite a few Irish looking heads in it...;)

I wonder what "an Irish looking head" is like........I'm tempted.......No . I'd better not . :D

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
On a serious note, its a real shame that Dublin still has no formal Catholic cathedral.

We have two beautiful Anglican ones in Christchurch and St. Patrick's.

There is the Catholic St. Mary's Pro Cathedral. The Pro standing for provisional...

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
The big ears are a dead give away. I can speak from personal experience...:D
Yeah , I used to enjoy Big Ears and Noddy . ;)

article-0-0C5C7460000005DC-221_468x349.jpg

Reactions: S.ilvio
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
On a serious note, its a real shame that Dublin still has no formal Catholic cathedral.

We have two beautiful Anglican ones in Christchurch and St. Patrick's.

There is the Catholic St. Mary's Pro Cathedral. The Pro standing for provisional...

Why doesn't Dublin have a Catholic cathedral?.......seems odd

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why doesn't Dublin have a Catholic cathedral?.......seems odd
An excellent question that is answered here.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/ireland/dublin-st-mary-pro-cathedral

"St. Mary's is not an official cathedral, even though it functions as one. Why? Back when Christ Church Cathedral was built, the pope consecrated it as the Catholic cathedral of Dublin. Although Christ Church has been Protestant for centuries, no pope has ever revoked its original designation. Since a city can only have one Catholic cathedral, St. Mary's cannot enjoy that status until Christ Church's is revoked."

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I missed this thread, sorry. Before I was Catholic, I spent some quality vacation time in San Juan Puerto Rico. One of the first Masses I ever attended was in the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista in Old San Juan. The original Church was built in 1521. It was beautiful. The Mass was very solemn and possibly planted a seed......

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,156.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We're not overly gifted with Cathedrals in Australia, or at least not in the traditional European sense.
However in 2014, my wife and I had a holiday in Cairns in North Queensland, and I was stunned by the stained glass windows on the inside. The Cathedral isn't much to look at outside, but if you're ever in Cairns make a trip to St. Monica's Cathedral.

There are two themes for the stained glass windows - one is a Creation theme running right through from the primeval creation, the creation of man and women, the fall, and to the final vanishing. These windows extend down both sides of the Cathedral.

At the back of the Cathedral is another set of smaller windows commemorating the Battle of the Coral Sea. Servicemen stationed in Cairns and on the Atherton Tablelands behind Cairns could see the flashes of the explosions over the horizon.

Link refers - http://www.cairns.catholic.org.au/Places/StMonicasCathedral/

You can click on the individual windows, and it will come up with a larger picture and an explanation of what that window represents.

Upvote 0