Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
What better place to start , for me at least , than in the Cathedral of my own diocese of Salford.

Salford Cathedral, dedicated to St John the Evangelist, was opened on 9th August 1848. Bishop George Brown sang the Solemn High Mass and Bishop Nicholas Wiseman gave a ninety-minute sermon. It was the first Catholic church in the country to be built in cruciform shape since the Reformation.

This is a video of the installation of our relatively new bishop , John Arnold , on 8th December last year .
Archbishop McMahon of Liverpool , who installs bishop Arnold , makes an amusing slip of the tongue at the beginning........

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
These photos are of the Cathedral of the Madeleine in Salt lake city Utah.

History of the Cathedral
5130160504_ce82176f22_c.jpg
Photo by Pedro SzekelyUnder the leadership of the Right Reverend Lawrence Scanlan (1843 - 1915), the first bishop of Salt Lake, the construction of The Cathedral of the Madeleine was begun in the year 1900 and completed in 1909. On August 15 of that year, the cathedral was dedicated by Cardinal James Gibbons of Baltimore. The architects were Carl M. Newhausen and Bernard O. Mecklenburg. The cathedral combines a predominately Romanesque exterior with a Gothic interior. The property on which the cathedral sits was purchased in 1890 for $35,000. The cost of the cathedral construction itself was $344,000.

The exterior of the cathedral remains substantially the same today as it was in 1909, except for the addition of a tympanum over the main doors and the double flight of steps leading to the main entrance. Renovations on the exterior took place between 1975 and 1980 under the leadership of The Most Reverend Joseph Lennox Federal, sixth bishop of Salt Lake City. These including putting a new copper roof on the building, protecting the porous Utah sandstone from further erosion and restoring the gargoyles.

The interior of the cathedral was largely created under the leadership of The Right Reverend Joseph S. Glass, who became Bishop of Salt Lake in 1915. A man of refined taste and strong artistic sensibility, Bishop Glass enlisted the aid of John Theodore Comes, one of the leading architects in America at the time, to undertake beautification of the original plain interior. The Comes interior, begun in 1917, was inspired in great part by the Spanish Gothic of the late Middle Ages. the colorful murals were added at that time, as was the dramatic polychrome evident throughout the building. The ornate reredos shrine of St. Mary Magdalen and the various shrines were notable features of the Comes renovation.

Under the leadership of The Most Reverend William K. Weigand, who was appointed bishop of Salt Lake City in 1980, a much needed restoration of the interior, which had suffered the effects of dirt and pollution in the intervening decades, was planned and executed. For this project, the services of the firm of Beyer Blinder Belle of New York were retained. This renovation and restoration, the most extensive in the cathedral's history, took place between 1991 and 1993 at a cost of $9.7 million and involved every aspect of the interior.

This included renovation of the liturgical elements of the cathedral to bring them into conformity with the liturgical reforms that followed the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965), chiefly building a new altar in a more prominent location in the midst of the congregation; giving a new centrality to the bishop's chair; providing a separate Blessed Sacrament chapel; and adding a more ample baptismal font.

Additional elements involved a seismic retrofit to strengthen the building against earthquake damage; the rebuilding of the lower level of the cathedral, including Scanlan Hall; the creation of a new annex entrance to the cathedral; and the construction of a new cathedral plaza.

The renewed building was formally rededicated on February 21, 1993. The cathedral is listed on the Utah Register of Historic Sites and the National Register of Historic Places.

th
th
th
th

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Cathedral of Reims! My grandfather was the architect who renovated it after the WW2. Considered as the most beautiful of the country!

grand_chevet.jpg
Cathedrale2_680.JPG
Reims%20cath%C3%A9drale%20int%C3%A9rieur%203.jpg
Reims%20cath%C3%A9drale%20int%C3%A9rieur%202.jpg

And Köln's cathedral, the most beautiful of Germa
ny:
koelner-dom_hl-12.jpg
pt34016.jpg

ALLEMAGNE_Cathedrale_Cologne.jpeg

And of course the italians ones! No need to say much concerning the one from Firenze..

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My own cathedral is quite ugly (Notre-Dame de Bonne Nouvelle in Nancy if you're interested) so I prefer to post some photographes of the church the Lorrains consider as their cathedral, the basilica Saint-Nicolas de Port. The Saint Nicolas is our most important day in Lorraine, with a big international pilgrimage and a lot of festivities. And the pilgrimage takes place in Saint Nicolas de Port!

280px-Saint_Nicolas_de_Port_BW_1.JPG
280px-54Basilique_Saint-Nicolas-de-port_facade.JPG
basilique-st-nicolas.jpg
basilique_1300278272.jpg

basilique-saint-nicolas-port-plus-beaux-edifices-religieux-france_310284.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Rheims ?

It's stunning - I've been there !

You're lucky! I never went back to Reims since my grandmother's funerals (in the cathedral, she had this right thanks to her late husband) so I have quite a nostalgic feeling concerning this cathedral. It was magic in my memories!

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If/when I move to New England (possibly Maine), I'd love to attend Mass in the Basilica of Ss Peter and Paul, it's one of the few left in the US that also does Mass in French. :D

vfiles29511.jpg

5061050199_db52c03a24.jpg

88420889.jpg

afc097f136badbb8c24a675d0281ac1f.jpg

Lewiston.SSPeterPaul.1938Casavant.VanPelt02.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I came across St Mel's Cathedral in Longford , Ireland , through the internet . They have a webcam in the cathedral linked to the website which shows the inside of churches live 24/7 .

St Mel's Cathedral prior to Christmas Day 2009.........
st_mel_interior.jpg

What was left of St Mel's Cathedral after it had been destroyed by a fire on Christmas Day 2009.........
st_mels_cathedral.jpg

Pictures of St Mel's Cathedral after it was rebuilt......
15899417380_8526a38eaf_b.jpg

STMELS.jpg

I say congratulations to the people of the Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnois for creating this Phoenix .

St Mel's Cathedral fire......
Mass at St. Mel's Cathedral - Christmas Day 2014

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Cathedral of Reims! My grandfather was the architect who renovated it after the WW2. Considered as the most beautiful of the country!

grand_chevet.jpg
Cathedrale2_680.JPG
Reims%20cath%C3%A9drale%20int%C3%A9rieur%203.jpg
Reims%20cath%C3%A9drale%20int%C3%A9rieur%202.jpg

And Köln's cathedral, the most beautiful of Germa
ny:
koelner-dom_hl-12.jpg
pt34016.jpg

ALLEMAGNE_Cathedrale_Cologne.jpeg

And of course the italians ones! No need to say much concerning the one from Firenze..
Wow, architect, eh?
Very impressive.
Gorgeous.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My grandfather helped build this Church [the one i grew up in]
Not a Cathedral - but has its beauty.

Before
f8206faa10a97f89be1f01defacd20ae.jpg

After
R112308d.JPG

They painted over the older art work on the walls.
Taking with it the Latin that was once written over the confessionals.
I do miss the older art i grew up with.

Here is a better view of behind the altar...

ressi_mural1.jpg

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I was at St. Patrick's in NYC one afternoon as a kid. It wasn't during a Mass, and I was wandering around, looking at the windows and looking for a candle to light. I spied a box in a corner, where they had thrown away the votive candles that had burned out. Except that they hadn't all burned out that day and the box caught fire. I went and found someone who was with the Cathedral and he put the fire out.
So, if you like St. Patrick's, you're welcome :)

Upvote 0