The Carnivorous Plant Evangelist
Aug 11, 2003
Kentucky
✟6,488.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Carnivorous Plants are defined as plants that lure, capture, and digest prey. These unique plants can be found worldwide. It is interesting to know that the United States has the highest diversity of carnivorous plants, and the South East being the heart of them. The South East is home to almost all genus of CPs found in the USA, besides Darlingtonia. The South has Sarracenias (American pitcher plants), Dionaea musipula (Venus flytrap), Drosera ( sundews), Pinguicula (butterworts), and Utricularia (bladderwort). So being the CP enthusiast that I am, I think I’ll share with you some more reasons why we should be happy we live in the Southeast. So here are, by state, the carnivorous plants of the South…(click on the names and see a pic)

Virginia-S. Purpurea, S. Flava, D. Rotundifolia, D. intermedia, D. capillaries, D. brevifolia, Utricularia (10 species)

Kentucky-Utricularia(4 species)

Arkansas-Utricularia (6 species)

Tennessee-D. intermedia, D. capillaries, D. brevifolia, Utricularia(5 species)

North Carolina-S. Purpurea, S. Flava, S. Rubra ssp. Rubra, S. Rubra ssp. Jonesii, S. Minor , Dionaea musipula, D. Rotundifolia, D. intermedia, D. Filiformis ssp. Filliformis, D. capillaries, D. brevifolia, P. lutea, P. caeralea, P. Pumila, Utricularia(13 species)

South Carolina-S. Purpurea, S. Flava, S. Rubra ssp. Rubra, S. Rubra ssp. Jonesii, S. Minor , Dionaea musipula, D. Rotundifolia, D. intermedia, D. capillaries, D. brevifolia,P. lutea, P. caeralea, P. Pumila, Utricularia ( 10 species)

Louisiana-D. intermedia, D. capillaries, D. brevifolia, P. lutea, P. Pumila, Utricularia (8 species)

Mississippi-S. Purpurea,S. Alata, S. Lecophylla, S. Psisttacina, D. intermedia, D. capillaries,D. brevifolia, P. lutea, P. Pumila, P. primuliflora, Utricularia(8 species)

Alabama-S. Purpurea, S. Flava, S. Rubra ssp. Alabanesis, S. Rubra ssp. Wherryi,S. Alata, S. Lecophylla, S. Psisttacina, S. Oreophila(rare), D. intermedia, D. Filiformis ssp. Tracyi, D. capillaries, D. brevifolia,P. lutea, P. Pumila, P. primuliflora, P. planfolia, Utricularia (9 species)

Georgia-S. Purpurea, S. Purpurea var. Montana(extremely rare), S. Flava, S. Rubra ssp. Rubra, S. Minor , S. Lecophylla, S. Psisttacina,D. intermedia, D. Filiformis ssp. Tracyi, D. capillaries, D. brevifolia, P. lutea, P. caeralea, P. Pumila, Utricularia (12 species)

Florida-S. Flava, S. Rubra ssp. Gulfensis, S. Minor , S. Minor “okefenokee giant”, S. Lecophylla, S. Psisttacina, D. intermedia, D. Filiformis ssp. Filliformis, D. Filiformis ssp. Tracyi, D. capillaries, D. brevifolia, P. lutea,P. caeralea, P. Pumila,P. primuliflora, P. planfolia, P. ionantha, Utricularia(14 species)

So I hope that you enjoy, and learn that we southerners have lot more to be proud of. My source of this information is Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada by Donald E. Schnell, and all the pics came from Galleria Carnivora . So enjoy :)

CPman2004

Aug 11, 2003
Kentucky
✟6,488.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
RED that's ME said:
WOW CPman this took a lot of work for you to put together. There is a lot of cool looking CP's in my area. Thanks!! :angel:

Yeah it is surprising how many things are just in your backyard. I hope to vist a few CP bogs in the South, before they dissappear.

Upvote 0

Kyōgen

Jun 2, 2004
✟120.00
Faith
Christian
CPman2004 said:
Welcome to CF Kyogen :wave:

If you ever need information or anything on CPs, PM me. I'll be happy to help.
Thank you for the welcome! :wave:
I have LOTS of questions! And once I figure out how to get around more:o I'll definitely take you up on that offer!

But until then I have one burning question that just can't wait: Where do you find the plants? I've been looking all over and have never run into them-any of them! I'm guessing that I'll have to special order them?

And thanks for all those links! I'm going through them, slowly but surely! :bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CPman2004

Aug 11, 2003
Kentucky
✟6,488.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the welcome! :wave:
I have LOTS of questions! And once I figure out how to get around more:o I'll definitely take you up on that offer!

But until then I have one burning question that just can't wait: Where do you find the plants? I've been looking all over and have never run into them-any of them! I'm guessing that I'll have to special order them?

And thanks for all those links! I'm going through them, slowly but surely! :bow:

I have ordered from California Carnivores. They have great plants and is owned by one of the leading CP gerus, Peter D' Amato. However, it is a bit pricey. That is the only online store I have bought from. My other plants were from local stores. There are many online nurseries that specialize in CPs. Here is a list of a few http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6280.html.

Yet I don't want you to go into the CP hobby blind, so I'll surggest a book that you should get. It is "The Savage Garden" by Peter D' Amato (advailable at pretty much any online book store. I like Books A Million). This book is considered by some to be the CP growing bible. However there is a TON of resorces on the net. So explore, read, and enjoy these wonders of God's creation. :)

Upvote 0

Kyōgen

Jun 2, 2004
✟120.00
Faith
Christian
CPman2004 said:
I have ordered from xxxxxx. They have great plants and is owned by one of the leading CP gerus, Peter D' Amato. However, it is a bit pricey. That is the only online store I have bought from. My other plants were from local stores. There are many online nurseries that specialize in CPs. Here is a list of a few xxxxxxx.

Yet I don't want you to go into the CP hobby blind, so I'll surggest a book that you should get. It is "The Savage Garden" by Peter D' Amato (advailable at pretty much any online book store. I like Books A Million). This book is considered by some to be the CP growing bible. However there is a TON of resorces on the net. So explore, read, and enjoy these wonders of God's creation. :)
I never realized how many carnivorous plant's are out there! It's a whole new world! :eek:
I'll look for the book - thanks! I'm not planning to make it a hobby, I'd like just one. But then again, it is fascinating and any gardening always seems to start with just one! ^_^
If you don't mind me getting personal; how long have you been interested in the CP world? How did you get started in it and how many plants do you have?
(sorry, had to remove the links.... my newbie status wouldn't let me quote them)

Upvote 0

CPman2004

Aug 11, 2003
Kentucky
✟6,488.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I never realized how many carnivorous plant's are out there! It's a whole new world! :eek:
I'll look for the book - thanks! I'm not planning to make it a hobby, I'd like just one. But then again, it is fascinating and any gardening always seems to start with just one! ^_^
If you don't mind me getting personal; how long have you been interested in the CP world? How did you get started in it and how many plants do you have?
(sorry, had to remove the links.... my newbie status wouldn't let me quote them)

I think I really into them around 2000. I just bought a few CPs from a store and read up on them. However, I lost my first collection due to me being stupid. :sigh: I soon replaced almost all the lost ones and I continued to buy more and I learned from my mistakes. At last count I have at least 30 plants in my collection. It'll be hard for me to leave them for college.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crossrunner

Serving the Lord joyfully since 1981!
Aug 8, 2004
Raleigh, North Carolina
✟24,117.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where I used to live (Southeastern NC...in between Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC) Venus flytraps grow wild. I never did get the opportunity to see them wild. From what I understand, it was illegal to pick them.

Upvote 0