Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Here is an excellent article by a well respected and published climate scientist, John Abraham, presenting a Christian argument for climate action.

What he describes is a recent book by a Faith-Science duo. That duo is Paul Douglas, respected meteorologist, entrepreneur, Republican, and Christian, and his writing partner Mitch Hescox who leads the Evangelical Environmental Network (the largest evangelical group devoted to creation care). Their book, entitled Caring for Creation, provides a masterful balance of science, faith, and personal journey.

Here's a link to the book: http://caringforcreationbook.com/
And a link to Skeptical Sciences' article by John Abraham: http://www.skepticalscience.com/caring-for-creation-book.html

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... the Evangelical Environmental Network ...
Interesting.

QV please:
Evangelical environmentalists are committed to the authority of the Bible. Drawing from Genesis 2:15, humans are seen as caretakers (stewards) of God's Creation. Genesis 2:15 states: "And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it."

SOURCE

Didn't you say this at one time?

Wrong, you are assuming man's fallible written word over physical evidence that is overwhelming. Genesis 1 & 2 are horribly incorrect with known science.

Genesis can take a hike.

What gives here, Rick?

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting.

QV please:

SOURCE

Didn't you say this at one time?

What gives here, Rick?
Just making a simple point AV. Scientists want to be good stewards with respect to the earth and its environment. Do you approve of that "hike"?

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Scientists want to be good stewards with respect to the earth and its environment.
Good for them: they can have it.

Just don't threaten me to take "climate action."

I spent my time sweating out Y2K.

I don't need to be taken in with any more Malthusian catastrophe scams.

Those days are over.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Scientists want to be good stewards with respect to the earth and its environment.
Maybe,
but remember "SILENT SPRING"
and the sequel?

The MASSIVE FISH KILLS, bird kills, bees, lady bugs, praying mantis, frogs, whales, and hundreds of species the last 100 years ?

Most all getting worse ever since wwI. Every day. With no let up.

As for climate...... well....
it is fulfilling prophesy.

I reckon the loss of trees and species of animals (land and water) and the poisoning of the oceans is fulfilling prophesy too, come to think of it.....

And the super rich don't care.

And whoever is put in office won't make a difference of any magnitude....
It's just a figurehead like the head of england....

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most all getting worse ever since wwI. Every day. With no let up.
Scientists created CFCs, then blamed us for buying them when they supposedly punched a hole in the ozone layer.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Scientists created CFCs, then blamed us for buying them when they supposedly punched a hole in the ozone layer.
Yes. As YHWH said long ago: whoever trusts in mankind(flesh/men)
I (YHWH) curse.
And they lied and continue to lie about them and what's causing the problem, but it is way to long to go there...... suffice it to say, as the BIBLE says, love of money (greed) runs all the corporations,
and they continually lie, all the time, every day, whenever they want to, and when they tell something factual , it i still deceptive (to get more or keep power or control or position - all as SCRIPTURE clearly delineates thru and thru about these days and about society completely) (in Galatians key word about society : pernicious).

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What's G2:15?
It's a passage from a book (Genesis) that Rick says can take a hike, yet whose buddy comes from an organization that is based on said passage, and wrote his own book that Rick is endorsing in the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's a passage from a book (Genesis) that Rick says can take a hike, yet whose buddy comes from an organization that is based on said passage, and wrote his own book that Rick is endorsing in the OP.
You seem surprised that people can have differing opinions.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You seem surprised that people can have differing opinions.
It's clear to me that the author of that book disagrees with Rick's assessment of the book of Genesis.

And it's clear to me that Rick is willing to set that disagreement aside in order to promote that author's propaganda.

But that author is (I assume) calling for Christians to wake up to Genesis 2:15 and take some responsibility for the earth's climate.

[Staff edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's clear to me that the author of that book disagrees with Rick's assessment of the book of Genesis.

And it's clear to me that Rick is willing to set that disagreement aside in order to promote that author's propaganda.

But that author is (I assume) calling for Christians to wake up to Genesis 2:15 and take some responsibility for the earth's climate.
Do you think humans should take some responsibility for our earth's climate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think humans should take some responsibility for our earth's climate?
Only if they're ruining it.

I'm not convinced we could ruin it if we tried.

Remember the oil fields of Kuwait?

We were told that if Saddam set those oil fields on fire, the resultant smoke would travel around the earth, blotting out the sun and doing who-knows-what to our environment.

Well ... guess what?

Saddam set fire to the oil fields and guess what?

Some guy got rich putting them out ... and that was that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You don't think that 7 billion humans couldn't have a negative effect on the environment?
Maybe if they all leaped into the air at the same time, the result might register slightly on a seismograph.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

We were told that if Saddam set those oil fields on fire, the resultant smoke would travel around the earth, blotting out the sun and doing who-knows-what to our environment.

Well ... guess what?

Saddam set fire to the oil fields and guess what?

Some guy got rich putting them out ... and that was that.

You need to ask yourself who made that claim. If it was just a new report without any references to the work of actual scientists then you should blame the media for getting it wrong. When it comes to AGW the verdict is in as far as the experts are concerned, and so far AGW has been following the middle of the road projections very closely.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You need to ask yourself who made that claim. If it was just a new report without any references to the work of actual scientists then you should blame the media for getting it wrong. When it comes to AGW the verdict is in as far as the experts are concerned, and so far AGW has been following the middle of the road projections very closely.
That's all fine and dandy, but I did my time with Y2K and it's not going to happen again.

You guys are going to have to come up with something a lot more convincing than climate change or Genesis 2:15 to motivate me to start taking the bus everywhere.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

So their were peer-reviewed scientific papers expressing the consensus of the scientific community that this would happen? I was honestly not aware of it at the time--all I knew about was speculation in the media. So link us to some of those journal articles and you really will have made your case.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Good for them: they can have it.

Just don't threaten me to take "climate action."

I spent my time sweating out Y2K.

I don't need to be taken in with any more Malthusian catastrophe scams.

Those days are over.
Pardon me for holding out a Christian hand.

Upvote 0