Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos: The goal was to heal a schism not to support anti-Semitism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vatican City, Feb 10, 2009 / 11:12 am (CNA).-
Colombian Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos, President of the pontifical commission charged with reconciling the St. Pius X Society, said on Monday that the lifting of the excommunications from the four Lefebvrist bishops was aimed at healing a schism in the Catholic Church, and was in no way meant to provide any support for the controversial remarks of Bishop Richard Williamson.

Speaking to the Colombian network "Radio Cadena Nacional" (RCN), Cardinal Castrillon, who has been blamed by several Italian media for precipitating the storm that followed the lifting of the excommunication to Bishop Williamson, said that "the Holy Father completely rejects what was done in Germany to the Jewish people. He does not accept any offense aimed at the Jewish people. All we have for them is love. We never forget that Jesus was a Jew, Mary was a Jew and the Apostles were Jews."

Asked if he took into consideration bishop Williamson's theories about the Holocaust into account before bringing the decree to the attention of the Holy Father, Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos responded:

"I have always had truth as a norm. The Holy Father knows this. We are moving forward, trying to rebuild the unity of the Church, and put an end completely to this schism."

The Cardinal said that "as a Christian, I completely reject the atrocities of the Holocaust," and said the true Catholic position on the issue of the Shoah is "to always remember, to make sure that humanity never repeats a similar atrocity again."

Continued- http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=15040

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
I understand what you guys are doing, and I'm studying to convert to Judaism. I understand the bad first reaction when you heard what the one guy said, but all it takes is a basic reading of the acts that followed and all to understand this isn't the Catholic Church embracing what the guy said.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People's heads might explode?

Anyhow, the evangelicals would probably just step up their end-times prophesies and rhetoric...

^_^

Yea, there would be a whole new "7 Churches" paranoia.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.