Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This issue seems to come up particularly with Brits and just wondering if they paranoid about this in the way that americans are about guns and nuclear weapons.

Basically they really afraid of breathing out carbon dioxide or using too much carbon it seems so they may as well not do anything and stay home.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I mean..the way they write about it and talk about it all the time making themselves guilty for travelling and eating tomatoes out of season and basically anything to do with existence. But they got so much money, that an ordinary person would wonder why they so paranoid about it.

Theres also something called carbon credits, which they pay someone else who will plant a tree for them.

Not sure if this belongs in single forum..but it seems something that single people might come across.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This issue seems to come up particularly with Brits and just wondering if they paranoid about this in the way that americans are about guns and nuclear weapons.

Basically they really afraid of breathing out carbon dioxide or using too much carbon it seems so they may as well not do anything and stay home.
Oh that, yeah you have that here too. Don't dare to drive a big car because you ruin the ozone layer or some complain about aeroplanes and useless trips. They encourage it to take the train and the bus by paying the costs when you go to the office, but if you go with a car you get almost nothing, except when you carpool: drive with a few others so you have to use one car. They pay your bike if you decide to go to work on a bicycle.
Do you also have to divide your garbage in green and plastic and the rest? We have to here but I never do that.
Oh and we have green energy, from windmills and those solar panels on your roof. Some old cars you may not drive, it's bad for the ozone layer.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean..the way they write about it and talk about it all the time making themselves guilty for travelling and eating tomatoes out of season and basically anything to do with existence. But they got so much money, that an ordinary person would wonder why they so paranoid about it.

Theres also something called carbon credits, which they pay someone else who will plant a tree for them.

Not sure if this belongs in single forum..but it seems something that single people might come across.
They know that something needs to be saved but they don't know it's people so they save the planet. But don't you dare to say that. You're an environment polluter if you do and if you don't separate your tea bags.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Do you also have to divide your garbage in green and plastic and the rest? We have to here but I never do that.
You mean just normal recycling? I thought everyone did that. Like I said, I'll admit that I don't make an attempt to go above and beyond in going green, but I play my part. Recycling isn't difficult.

Reactions: Tess
Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You mean just normal recycling? I thought everyone did that. Like I said, I'll admit that I don't make an attempt to go above and beyond in going green, but I play my part. Recycling isn't difficult.
It's so filthy those smelling green buckets they take away once every two weeks especially in the summer and I don't have much. I never buy whole vegetables, just a small pot. Potatoes, a small ready to eat sack. Bread I keep in the fridge. Once a few months I forget it and we feed the ducks with it.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's so filthy those smelling green buckets they take away once every two weeks especially in the summer and I don't have much. I never buy whole vegetables, just a small pot. Potatoes, a small ready to eat sack. Bread I keep in the fridge. Once a few months I forget it and we feed the ducks with it.
Oh, you mean a compost program? That sounds cool. :) I don't think we have one here.

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

Tom Mix

May 31, 2015
Earth, for now.
✟11,536.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private

We are not paranoid about guns, we love guns. We also invented the nuclear bomb and love them also, who's been spreading these lies.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We have recycling plastic and cans and seperate that and do our own compost if we want.
But sometimes you have to chuck weeds in with the rest of the garbage cos if you compost most invasive weeds you just end up with weeds in your garden.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh that, yeah you have that here too. Don't dare to drive a big car because you ruin the ozone layer or some complain about aeroplanes and useless trips. They encourage it to take the train and the bus by paying the costs when you go to the office, but if you go with a car you get almost nothing, except when you carpool: drive with a few others so you have to use one car. They pay your bike if you decide to go to work on a bicycle.
Oh and we have green energy, from windmills and those solar panels on your roof. Some old cars you may not drive, it's bad for the ozone layer.
Its not always practical or convenient to take public transport esp in auckland and its even more expenisve than taking your own car and paying for parking at times.
But I do agree that some people drive bigger cars than necessary for just one person and they dont even live in the countryside. Those road blockers.

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The sad thing is that there's nothing much a regular person can do to save the environment.

We can do our best, that's true. And we should! But really, we can't do much.

Where I live there is no recycling program at all (there was when I was very little). I cannot recycle anything but metal here, so I save metal to bring to those places. No place accepts glass, paper, cardboard, plastic, etc. All of it goes in the trash, and, unfortunately, a landfill.

There is no public transportation here. There is one taxi (60 bucks just to go over the bridge, more depending on how far away past that), and a small bus system 45 minutes away (only servicing part of the town 45 minutes away). There are no sidewalks here, and combining that with the fact that all businesses are spaced out it is very difficult to walk anywhere instead of drive (spaced out from several blocks, to several miles away). Riding a bicycle or motorcycle can get you killed because people are awful drivers here.

My family has outfitted the house with energy efficient lightbulbs, which are clearly working because our electricity bill went down a bit after we did it. We've replaced appliances with more energy efficient ones, and I've replaced most all of my cleaning supplies with environmentally friendly alternatives (vinegar will clean just about anything and is very safe).

Now, someone with lots of money and power, they could definitely do a lot more to help the environment. I think this is why things like legal regulations are so important. It's unfortunate that a regular person has such little power over these things, but we still need to do our best too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
some people are more concerned about some vague concept of "nature" then they are about other human beings

I do not like smog
I do not like rivers filled with toxic sludge

so we should try and preserve the environment
but we have to remember that people come first

we have an environment to serve people
not people to serve the environment

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't see how regulation is a bad thing at all.

Either a business changes to meet the new regulations, or it goes out of business. That's the nature of a business: if it can't adapt to change, it dies.

A business isn't going to go out of its way to be cleaner. With very, very few exceptions, they're going to do everything the cheapest way possible, which may not be the most clean, environmentally friendly way. This is why we need regulations.

Upvote 0

William67

Sep 26, 2014
✟31,464.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trading in carbon credits is just another Ponzi scheme. Al Gore, a big proponent of MMGW and carbon credits, is a huge polluter. They found out that his home in Tennessee created a larger "carbon footprint" in one month than the average US household did in a year.

As for me, I walk to work each morning because my business is 400 feet from my home. And, according to the UN, cow flatulence damages the environment (through greenhouse gases) than all modern methods of transportation, combined. Methane from cow farts much, much worse than CO2. So, protect the environment, cork a cow.

Upvote 0