Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee." (Matthew 11:21-24)

"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works hade been done in Tyre and Sidon, which had been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.
But it shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgement, than for you." (Luke 10:13-14)

We are as much as told that had Tyre and Sidon seen the same witness that Bethsaida had received, the people would have repented. If Sodom had seen the same witness as Capernaum, enough of its inhabitants (presumably at least ten) would have repented that the city would have been spared.

The question left then, is why weren't these miracles performed in Tyre or Sidon or Sodom, if they would have led people to repentance. Why was this witness given to those who would reject it, while it was withheld from those who would have believed, had they seen it?

ittarter

Non-Metaphysical Christian Critic
Apr 14, 2009
Oklahoma, United States
✟10,047.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are as much as told that had Tyre and Sidon seen the same witness that Bethsaida had received, the people would have repented. If Sodom had seen the same witness as Capernaum, enough of its inhabitants (presumably at least ten) would have repented that the city would have been spared.

The question left then, is why weren't these miracles performed in Tyre or Sidon or Sodom, if they would have led people to repentance. Why was this witness given to those who would reject it, while it was withheld from those who would have believed, had they seen it?

The Bible doesn't say, so we can only speculate.

Here's some food for thought: Why doesn't God just show up so that this whole mysterious game of faith can be avoided and everyone can go to heaven?

For your personal reflection, read 1 Peter 1:1-12.

Upvote 0

ConqueredbyLove

Jul 8, 2008
Northern California
✟803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee." (Matthew 11:21-24)

"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works hade been done in Tyre and Sidon, which had been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.
But it shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgement, than for you." (Luke 10:13-14)

The reasons the miracles were performed in those three cities was their location. If you look at a map of those days, all three of those cities were at the northern end of the Sea of Galilee.

The Father had Jesus spend most of His time in that area and perform His mighty works for at least several reasons.

First of all that is where most of the common people dwelt. That is where the Apostles were from and they were unlearned fishermen, remember?

It was also a place an area where many people traveled through both north and south and so many more people would have heard of this Jesus of Nazareth :prayer: by Him residing there alot.

Here is a link to a great map:

Map of Ancient Israel - Chorazin

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
ittarter said:
Here's some food for thought: Why doesn't God just show up so that this whole mysterious game of faith can be avoided and everyone can go to heaven?

Actually, God did show up about 2000 years ago, and the "game" of faith didn't end. I think that was a point raised by the verses that I quoted.

Upvote 0

ittarter

Non-Metaphysical Christian Critic
Apr 14, 2009
Oklahoma, United States
✟10,047.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, God did show up about 2000 years ago, and the "game" of faith didn't end. I think that was a point raised by the verses that I quoted.

"Actually," I'm talking about something a little less covert.

Upvote 0