non-denominational Christian
Dec 17, 2016
Houston, TX
✟1,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was baptized the catholic way, but I was told it is no good. It has got to be done the right way, a full immersion.

I wan't to recieve the spirit of the Lord but I don't know anyone who can baptize me that way. Should I do the catholic sacrament of confirmation (I think), I have the 1st communion.

What should I do. I feel I in stuck in a rut.

Thanks.

I think if you're a relatively good person God is not going to put you in the gutter. When I was just a kid I just didn't do anything too bad. I was always listening to my parents and doing my homework going to school etc. When I got older it is when I went out on my own that I gained freedom and with freedom I ruined my life because I started to want instead of waiting. I started to take instead of asking for permission first.

When I became a non-denominational Christian officially in water and all the church people asked me if I wanted to be baptized. They said it was only the beginning.

If you have The Holy Bible I suggest you read it at least once in a while.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
for the OP, so long as you stay in this thread, you will get multiple levels of advice which in turn reflect the multiple choices of the poster's denomination.
However you were baptized in the Catholic church, so may i humbly suggest that you post your query in the Catholic forum, One Bread, One Body where you can get the information that you need to proceed?
here's the link:
One Bread, One Body - Catholic

• Winner
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Who told you it was no good?

If you go back to the very first Christians, and note the the faith was passed from the apostles by "paradosis" handing down, the new testament had yet to be compiled which was why St Paul said "hold true to the tradition we taught you by word of mouth and letter".
And see what the apostles taught them...

You clearly see what they did in such as the "didache" a first century document of prevalent Christian practice
"1. Concerning baptism, baptise thus: Having first rehearsed all these things, "baptise, in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost," in running water;
2. But if thou hast no running water, baptise in other water, and if thou canst not in cold, then in warm.
3. But if thou hast neither, pour water three times on the head "in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost."
4. And before the baptism let the baptiser and him who is to be baptised fast, and any others who are able. And thou shalt bid him who is to be baptised to fast one or two days before."

Also consider the teaching authority of the church.
" the foundation and pillar of truth" is the "Household of God" which we know from the OT is the physical Church.If you disregard that teaching authority, neither can you accept the new testament as inspired.

So Your baptism is valid, no doubt about it.

I suggest you read such as "surprised by truth" Madrid, and see how the apostasy took place at the time of the reformation, that as Newman said "to be deep in history is to cease to be protestant!" The "essay on the development of Christian doctrine" is well worth a read.

I was baptized the catholic way, but I was told it is no good. It has got to be done the right way, a full immersion.

I wan't to recieve the spirit of the Lord but I don't know anyone who can baptize me that way. Should I do the catholic sacrament of confirmation (I think), I have the 1st communion.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The difficulty you have is that the Nicene - Constantinople creed 381
Clearly says "one baptism for the forgiveness of sins"
Which says baptism is one, and also efficacious.
And since that is only a decade away from the council eg hippo 393 that finalised the new testament
You will find it hard to ignore councils and still believe the new testament inspired.
You either keep the lot or lose the lot!

It was largely the same people at the councils.
Who also believed polar opposites to baptist theology...eg real presence in a sacramental eucharist - but on that point even those taught by the apostles believed in a sacramental real presence that needed succession bishops or their appointees to perform it. Read ignatius letter to smyrneans.

We should always distinguish the different baptisms. Water baptism is not the baptism of the Holy Spirit. If you were baptized in a Catholic church that believes their official doctrine of salvation, then you should be baptized again if you have truly come to christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks.

HAHA.. laughing in a good way. Its HIS way not mans. And.. YOU ASKED "I want to receive".. thats ALL it takes.. you HAVE IT! He said..ASK..and HE the Father will give. And..if you wish to be fully baptized.. then find some CHURCH and ask them. If they say no or some other reason..FIND ANOTHER ONE! Praise GOD! No RUT! GOD IS ALL OVER YOU!.. where ..WHERE Do you think this DESIRE came from? HIM!

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
But I feel the need to confess my sins also. I'm desperate. What should one do? I have asked for the spirit but I find nothing but fear and travail.

Confession does not require an intermediary. You have as direct a line to God as anyone wearing robes, a white collar or stood addressing the pulpit.

"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

Not "No one comes to the Father but through Pastor Jim then Me".

By all means seek counsel from a Pastor, but don't feel like you can't repent and confess in prayer directly with the Lord Himself.

As far as baptism is concerned... it depends on whom you ask. Some sprinkle, some dip, some fully submerge. There are intelligent men arguing every side of the matter. Personally I believe in believer's Baptism to be what Scripture commands, but all I can suggest is read Scripture and pray on it.

• Winner
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have put non-denominational because I do not practice the catholic faith, although I'm baptized and have the 1st communion done as a child. My sins are very bad. I am also afraid. This is a very small community where I live, although the priest cannot divulge what is said.

You'd be shocked to know what priests have heard in the confessional... There is nothing new under the sun.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

Thanks.
There is nothing wrong with your Catholic baptism. It was done with water in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Baptists believe in full immersion, so they reject anything else. But they are simply mistaken in this.

If you have had your first communion, then YES absolutely, I think you should go to your local parish, begin attending weekly, and take the classes for Adult Confirmation.

Good luck to you!!! :)

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
But I feel the need to confess my sins also. I'm desperate. What should one do? I have asked for the spirit but I find nothing but fear and travail.
There is a unique healing that comes from confessing the exact nature of our sins to another living human being. Even non-Christians know this -- that's why 12 step programs have confession (Step 5).

In Christianity, the Epistle of James commands us to confess our sins one to another. That is because in the earliest days of the Church, confession was made aloud before the entire congregation. But there were so many problems with gossip and lives being ruined that the church switched to a private confession with the presbyter/priest.

Confession to God through a priest is one of the most beautiful and powerful things that Catholics have available to us. Go in happiness!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I have put non-denominational because I do not practice the catholic faith, although I'm baptized and have the 1st communion done as a child. My sins are very bad. I am also afraid. This is a very small community where I live, although the priest cannot divulge what is said.
I think it is absolutely wonderful that you are seeking to make things right with God again. Since your foundational church is Catholic, I see no reason for you to go elsewhere. We LOVE Catholics who return home.

And don't worry about how badly you've sinned -- priests have heard it all! For them it's kind of like being a surgeon and seeing blood on the operating table, it's just something they're used to.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Last time ... I appreciate some of the discussion but we have rules. There's a very good chance your posts will end up being deleted. Why don't you take it to General Theology and post a link here, if you must. This is a non-debate forum.

From the Statement of Purpose for Christian Advice ...

We would ask that members direct their responses to the member who started the thread and refrain from debating one another's theological beliefs and viewpoints. Do not use this forum to debate with other Christians as that is not the purpose of the Christian Advice forum. If members would like to discuss/debate specific Christian theological doctrines, they should do so in one of the Theology forums.

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You never too old to be baptised, my grandaunty was in the rest home, she was in her 80s when she was born again.

Im not sure how it was done as I wasnt there but generally you go under water or water gets poured over you or both. Its not just a drop or sprinkle. You need to get totally wet..baptism means to dip or immerse.

Check out ezekiel 47 about the water rising...

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
ADMIN HAT ON

I did a big clean up because some of you have trouble following the OP and listening to Ambassadors. So instead of issuing a bunch of warnings, I just deleted a lot of posts.

Christian Advice is not only non-debate, you are not allowed to respond to anyone other than the OP, directly or indirectly. If you feel the need to respond, respond to the OP, answer any questions they follow up with, and move on.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums