can you tithe to missionaries instead of church

Status
Not open for further replies.

danibethb

Jul 29, 2006
✟15,119.00
Faith
Christian
Our church is elder ruled, and the pastors and one elders make all financial decisions. They spend alot of money on paying themselves, but do not work at the church much or attend church activities. They don't allow missionaries to come to our church because "those people expect you to give them money". MY husband and I are deacons, tithe faithfully and lead a Wednesday night life group, where we study Christian books and pray for one another. None of the elders (two of which are the pastor and associate pastor) have ever attended our meetings. We support a wonderful father and son missionary team that visit our group a couple of times a year and inspire us with their testimonies of their mission work in the Amazon and Artic circle. In a congregation of 300 people, (all invited to attend our special nights of visits from these missionaries), no member, pastor, leader or member attend (other than the 8 people in our study group). We make announcements at church on Sunday , but no one shows up--even though they NEVER ask for money.Our church is a very giving church, and the Sunday morning offering is tremendous in size, but since our pastors and elder meet behind closed door about the budget, we never see where or how the money is spent. ( though we know through a family connection that they all make handsome salaries).
My question is this-- is it okay to tithe to the missionaries who live very frugally while ministering to the Arctic circle and Amazon for half our tithe? We feel we are sowing seed into the kingdon when we give to the missionaries, but have no idea where the money goes that we give to our church. (We do know that the elders, music and children;s ministry leaders fly several time a year to lavish conferences and stay at fine hotels, but our pastor has never visited our Wednesday group in the 3 and a half years that we have been meeting.
Quitting this church is not an option- we have too much invested in our Wednesday night group to leave. We are very dissapointed that we get so little interest or committment from the higher ups, and feel like we have no voice. (Everytime we try to express our feelings, they say we have a Jezebel spirit and they get very defensive) They are very elitist and unapproachable, our pastor often cuts off communication with anyone who complains, and avoids phone or physical contact if anyone ask for a conference with him,
We want to sow our tithe into fruiful seed, and know that it is going to further the message of Christ, rather than the travel arrangements of our aloof leadership-
Please advise and bless you ahead of time.
thanks

RonnyRulz

Oct 19, 2006
✟3,325.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I don't even believe in tithing, but that's irrelevant I guess.

It sounds like it's run by crappy pharisee-type people, but there's not much you can do.

Sometimes God puts us in places where He needs us, so leaving isn't an option, but men make it crappy.

Do you have a choice to not tithe at all in this church, but still lead the wednesday group? If you do, I'd immeditely stop tithing and if you want to tithe, do it on what YOU want and know will help others. If you have no choice, then do what you must to continue God's work in your wednesday group, and if you so desire to give extra than 10%, you should, but know that you don't have to unless God specifically tells you to.

Even if tithing is biblical (I could be wrong in my disbelief) it still would mean you only have to give 10%. If you have to tithe to keep your position of the wednesday group, then God wouldnt expect you to give anymore to anyone else unless He specifically asks.

And also, you don't "tithe" or give money to church, missionaries, or the like. You give, you tithe, to God alone. God is fully in the good missionaries as He is in good churches. Like I said, I don't even believe tithing is biblical, but if it is, or if you believe it is, it still doesn't mean you have to tithe to the church. Tithe to whatever you want, whatever God lays on your hearts. Cause remember, you tithe to God alone, and to no one else. God is not bound to only a church.

It sounds like these higher-ups in your church are stealing God's money and have wicked hearts. But there's not much you can do besides stick in their bravely and continue your good works in the wednesday group. My heart goes out to you though, it must be hard working under such evil men.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know this wasn't your question - but the books of the church should be open to tithe paying members, IMO. It seems you guys have two systems working within one church structure which seems "amiss" to me.

I've learned our family needs to attend church where the Lord wants us.

Where your tithes goes? don't see anything wrong with giving tithe money going straight to these missionaries since your church isn't. You would just doing it more directly - instead of it going through the church's bank account.

Upvote 0

CrazyforYeshua

Blessed by the Best!!
Dec 4, 2005
Ohio
✟11,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would have a problem with that type of attitude, and the fact that Pastors and Elders alone are making financial decisions.
As far as tithes, I believe they do go to your church, and then offerings are seperate, which is giving to other ministries. If you want to tithe to the missionaries, see what God will tell you. He is the only one you have to worry about, anyway, the rest is our opinion.

Upvote 0

JDIBe

Oct 3, 2006
Midland, TX
✟9,039.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You probably don't want to hear this, but there are so many red flags in your post, you might need to start thinking about a "backup plan".

Although I don't believe in tithing per se, I don't think giving to the missionaries is wrong if that's where it will do the most good. HOWEVER... Going strictly on what you have said, what will most likely happen in the next few months is you will be issued an ultimatum by the church leadership. Give, or go somewhere else.

I believe finances ought to be open to all people, not just the members. You don't go around advertising what you did, but if anyone wants to know, it should be there. Acountability is important to ministers and church leaders, too. They fall into the same temptations as we do sometimes.

Upvote 0

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our church budget is posted every month, so we all know where all the money is going. We know how much all staff makes.
Personally, I'd have a problem giving to a church where you had no idea where any of the money was going. At least with the missionaries you'll know it's helping someone.

Reactions: rocklife
Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As others have stated, something sounds fishy about your church's financial situation.
Pray for the elders and for the church.
Pray about whether that is the group that the Lord wishes for you to be with.
Your tithing can be to anyone that the Lord leads you to tithe to.
I don't have the verses, so someone please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the 10% tithe is for the Lord - not for a particular local church or group. In the Old Testament, there was only one Temple so that is where the tithe went. Therefore, if the Lord leads you to support a missionary or a needy neighbor or whatever, I would imagine that would still be what God wants so it would be fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
W

woman.at.the.well

Our church is elder ruled, and the pastors and one elders make all financial decisions. They spend alot of money on paying themselves, but do not work at the church much or attend church activities. They don't allow missionaries to come to our church because "those people expect you to give them money". MY husband and I are deacons, tithe faithfully and lead a Wednesday night life group, where we study Christian books and pray for one another. None of the elders (two of which are the pastor and associate pastor) have ever attended our meetings. We support a wonderful father and son missionary team that visit our group a couple of times a year and inspire us with their testimonies of their mission work in the Amazon and Artic circle. In a congregation of 300 people, (all invited to attend our special nights of visits from these missionaries), no member, pastor, leader or member attend (other than the 8 people in our study group). We make announcements at church on Sunday , but no one shows up--even though they NEVER ask for money.Our church is a very giving church, and the Sunday morning offering is tremendous in size, but since our pastors and elder meet behind closed door about the budget, we never see where or how the money is spent. ( though we know through a family connection that they all make handsome salaries).
My question is this-- is it okay to tithe to the missionaries who live very frugally while ministering to the Arctic circle and Amazon for half our tithe? We feel we are sowing seed into the kingdon when we give to the missionaries, but have no idea where the money goes that we give to our church. (We do know that the elders, music and children;s ministry leaders fly several time a year to lavish conferences and stay at fine hotels, but our pastor has never visited our Wednesday group in the 3 and a half years that we have been meeting.
Quitting this church is not an option- we have too much invested in our Wednesday night group to leave. We are very dissapointed that we get so little interest or committment from the higher ups, and feel like we have no voice. (Everytime we try to express our feelings, they say we have a Jezebel spirit and they get very defensive) They are very elitist and unapproachable, our pastor often cuts off communication with anyone who complains, and avoids phone or physical contact if anyone ask for a conference with him,
We want to sow our tithe into fruiful seed, and know that it is going to further the message of Christ, rather than the travel arrangements of our aloof leadership-

thanks

You know I've wondered about this too. There are things that I am doubting about how our church spends its money too and honestly I have stopped tithing to them. I'm glad you asked this question because I am wondering where to send my tithes too as well.

My instincts tell me to send it to organizations who take care of the people our Lord & Savior commanded us to before He was taken up to heaven. The people I'm referring to is: the needy, the fatherless, and the widows, ect.

Good question!

Upvote 0

liveandlove

Legend
Feb 26, 2006
USA
✟44,117.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
thanks
Pray and if God leads you to leave that congregation, do so. A lot of the time, following the way of God is not comfortable/ easy and takes faith. Why don't you explain to your Wednesday group your stand and maybe you can all go to another congregation?

Most of all, pray for God's will. God bless,
a.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
thanks
I would say long as you tithing into the kingdom of God you will be fine but not completely sure about it:)

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
They spend alot of money on paying themselves
Some churchs pay their pastor a huge amount of money. $80,000 can be common with benefits including health care and retirement putting the real amount up to $120,000 a year.

If you look in the secular world though, a two year degree can earn someone as much as $60,000 and year and a Phd can get someone $80,000. So they feel that the pastors should be earning what they would be making if they were our working a secular job.

Some churchs like the Methodist only pays about half that amount. That can make it hard for the pastors when they are offered twice the amount they make if they go to work in a secular job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RonnyRulz

Oct 19, 2006
✟3,325.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Some churchs like the Methodist only pays about half that amount. That can make it hard for the pastors when they are offered twice the amount they make if they go to work in a secular job.

If it's hard, they suck. One is a pastor because it's God's Will, not because one wants to be one. If it's hard to do God's Will because you are tempted by money, you probably don't have what it takes to be a real Pastor. That should be the easy temptation to fight. The hard stuff should be fighting the temptation of pride and self-righteousness, which all Christians struggle with.

There's been plenty of ministers though, that leave God's Will to go to a different church, out of God's Will, solely because they get paid better. So sad, some people listen to money more than they do God.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I believe that the tithe goes to your local church, but I also believe that you are in the WRONG CHURCH, from what you say. I don't understand how leaving is not an option. I could not remain under the type of leaders you are describing, and I understand why you don't want to tithe to them. I say take your Wednesday night group, meet in one of your homes, and start your own church. I hardly ever suggest such a thing, but this is ridiculous.

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

TommyStrand

Nov 16, 2006
Sandnes
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, tithing was very strict in the old covenant, as can be read in the last book in NT. However, in the new covenant, according to

Gal 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

and Matt 16:24-25 to mention a few verses, we live for ONE reason only; to live for Jesus, (let Jesus live through us if you will).

Please do not misunderstand:

EVERY day, we wake up is a day God chose to NOT take us home because he wanted us working for HIM one more day.

Whatever he tells us to do, we are supposed to do.

John 15:14
"Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you."

Matt 24:42+ tells of the servant, constantly busy working.

This includes money. There is no such thing as "our" money. Along with our lives, all the time God gives us, so also is the money God gives us to handle, really His. Matt 25 tells of servants and how they chose to care for the Masters money until He returned.

So tithing (giving 10%) to God is not in effect anymore. Now, he wants it all - 100% of it. Another great thing in this new covenant is that Gods spirit is in us, the holy Spirit, who helps us, guides us and teaches us everyday. How you spend the money God allows you to handle for Him is between you and God. When God tells you to bless a missionary with 40% of your income, do it. When God tells you to bless another thing, do it. If God doesn't specifically tell you to do something with your money, surely there is a need you are aware of you can help fill.

Upvote 0

Joshua Howard

Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit of Happiness
Jan 13, 2004
Tacoma, WA
✟7,951.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I personally don't tithe. I do, however, give. To most of the people who know me personally I don't discuss it unless it were to come up as I suppose they'd all put me on a band wagon down under if they knew... The Bible says we should give out of the abundance of our hearts and do so cheerfully... that's what I try to do, and for me it just doesn't include a cut and dry 10%.

If I feel led to give, I'll give... if I don't, I won't... to whoever the recipient might be. And really, God has more than 10%. If He really wants it, He can have everything I've got... I'm not going to be picky. What's better-- 10% in the offering plate because of duty, or 50% (Or even 100%) once in a while to a worthy cause because you feel like God would have it?

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, your church sounds familiar - we just found out that our tithes at our church were being abused in a serious way. Since we lost all trust in how our hard earned money was being used, WE LEFT and are currently looking for a new home church.

I truly believe the CHURCH is under heavy attack today - and our Pastors/Shepherds need our prayers more than our judgments. They are continually under heavy assault.

I don't take it lightly to suggest just leaving a church, but when you see MONEY ISSUES being mishandled or out of line, rest assured, there are probably OTHER spiritual issues already brewing that you may not even be aware of yet. (I've been at 2 churches this has happened to).

I'm seeing a big trend right now in churches being exposed for 'private sins' across the board - I think maybe God has decided to clean up the CHURCH first, so that we can be the LIGHT we need to be to our communities.:cry:
1Pe 4:17 For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God?

ANYWAYS -- I personally think we should give the majority of our offering (whether you tithe or not) to the local church because we need Christian churches in our communities for the lost!! They are vital.
Either give a portion or a sacrificial amount just to SIDE ministries... (ie. tv, radio, missions, charity)...

If you know your church is misusing your $, then I'd leave it rather than contiue to FEED THEIR GREEDS - where less is used for God's service. If enough left the church and the income went down drastically, they'd get the message and hopefully be brought to repentance.
In the meantime, you can find a GOOD church that is properly using your money FOR THE CAUSE OF CHRIST and serve the Lord there, where they get the blessings of your hard earned money and it's put to better use for the Lord :amen: :clap:

Just my 2 cents. =) peace

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.