Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If a leader in church does these things are they a good shepherd or a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Wants every thing to go through them
Wont let others do good works in the church or tries to dictate what they do
Refuses gifts given in kind with no expectation of return
Speaks disparagingly of church members but continues in their position in church
Treats others as if they are a nuisance
Gets paid for what they do but has no compassion for those who arent being paid
Doesnt want bibles in church
Stickler for rules...but rules they made up that only make sense to them
Thinks they own the church, buildings and grounds

I mean it could be just an issue with their personality or is it really they have another agenda. How can you tell??

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
doesn't want Bibles in church?
He said we didnt need any in the library.
Yea I dont understand. People had been asking for them. Unless Im mistaken and he meant something else. Thats the whole reason we have a library...

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
hi The pastor is the one at the pulpit! And the deacon is with him; go on and listen to the deacon; which you were doing all ready .
The deacon...? I dont know which deacon, we dont really have deacons in our church.
We have elders but no deacons. Or maybe we do but which one?

This one is the associate pastor or the youth pastor. Sometimes he is in the pulpit.
Im confused now.

Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟97,216.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
You don't know someone's heart. And no one here can read someone else's heart just based on a one sided post meant to present the problems and the negative b/c you aren't getting your way. so, instead of spreading gossip about your church and it's leaders online, you should sit down with them and discuss what is bothering you. Read Matthew 18:15-17.

No offense, but you seem to have some issues, so maybe he's just trying to protect the church by limiting you trying to have your way in all things. That doesn't make him not a Christian or a bad Christian or stingy. If that is how he is perceiving you, then you both need to sit down and talk to one another in a non accusatory manor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My minsitry partner has gone away on holiday maybe i just wait till she comes back. Shes elder than me and been in the church for many years.

The youth pastor has only recently returned to this church he grew up in it though.

I have decided to take a break as well. We both agreed theres too much friction and drama over little things and it was taking up all our time. Im just going to let God handle it.

Upvote 0

JudyH

Supporter
May 6, 2009
Maryland, U.S.
✟25,213.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ouch, some pretty harsh answers on here. :|

It's hard to tell whether someone is a wolf in sheep's clothing or just has character defects. This pastor sounds like a control freak. It doesn't sound like anything he's doing is an effort to destroy the sheep, just that he wants to be in control of everything. I'm scratching my head over why he wouldn't want Bibles in church. Afraid people will misinterpret them maybe? That would indicate more desire to control.

In any case, your job is to keep the focus on your relationship with God, and as long as the pastor's desire to control doesn't come between you and God, you probably don't need to worry about it except that I'm sure it's very annoying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmm well the last scripture seemed to apply to this situation.

I guess I will mark them and avoid them. It seems an awful lot of pastors are like this cos they are the ones that get up and speak all the time with their fair speeches.

If people arent able to access bibles, whats the point in them coming to church??

Upvote 0

Thir7ySev3n

Psalm 139
Sep 13, 2009
✟58,397.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with Ellie, and unless he is presenting obstacles to the reception of Christ or sound doctrine, the verse in Romans 16 would not apply to him. We in this culture tend to have a powerful distaste for strong leadership, which I am convinced is an effect of the anti-authoritarian nature of the spirit of western society, often conflated with "independence". Certainly being a good leader involves being attentive to sound advice and wisdom when it is offered, and certainly there is leadership that is "lording over" rather than being examples to the flock (1 Peter 5:3). But I find many people simply become frustrated by their desire to be co-leaders of the church they're involved in being stifled by the proper order of hierarchy that is Scripturally established. Ironically, it is rather their desire to control everything that rouses their anger against the one who rightly does, as has been assigned them to do.

A situation like this can not be objectively analyzed online by people unfamiliar with the church, it's leadership, or the issues they are confronting. As long as the church leadership is not behaving or teaching contrary to sound doctrine, there is no reason to deny them the respect of their authority that God, in His providence, has given them. (Acts 23:5, 1 Peter 5:5)

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmm well the last scripture seemed to apply to this situation.

I guess I will mark them and avoid them. It seems an awful lot of pastors are like this cos they are the ones that get up and speak all the time with their fair speeches.

If people arent able to access bibles, whats the point in them coming to church??

Goodbook: two or three scriptures need to establish a thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
say you cleaning for the church. Someone doesn't have to lord it over you to tell you exactly how you clean. Plus, if you want a good job done you can at least provide cleaning materials. Why should you need to bring your own. But if you do, you use them and the person who is not cleaning shouldn't be telling you not to use them. That kind of thing. Or they might as well do it themselves. Or pay someone.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Don't know what culture you are from. But this is a baptist church. We go by the bible. (you would think)
Highest authority is God and delegated authority to Jesus and his saints. Pastors are responsible for pastoral care they are not supposed to tell people how to do their jobs.

Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟97,216.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
That still doesn't mean he's not a Christian or is leading others astray or is a "wolf". You really do need to sit down and talk to him if it's bothering you so much. That's what the Bible suggests if you feel a brother has sinned.

Volunteering for the church is not a "job" unless you are getting paid for it. Even if it's your ministry or you are getting paid, you still have to submit to the people in authority at your church. Just because you are annoyed or think it is wrong, doesn't mean that it actually is wrong or that you don't have to listen. I am a member of a Baptist church and I've never heard of a member or an attender just wanting to put things in the church without checking with the pastor or children's pastor first. Or just going rouge and putting things up on the walls. The leaders have a responsibility to make sure that the Word and Christ are not being mis-represented and that the church building is not being built around just one person's ideas. One lady at my church said she was putting Bibles in the foyer and it was really like Mormon Bibles. So, yes pastors have a responsibility to control things like that from happening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Romans 16 sounds like it applies. All scripture applies...all scripture is profitable and useful. Its not like you can chop and change what is in the bible and say well this bit doesn't count. God knows what He's doing and He is not the author of confusion.

In prayer I was given Isaiah 10. I'm quite shocked by this. That's why I'm keeping out of it.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Goodbook: two or three scriptures need to establish a thing.

I know. I'm just thinking on the thorns. I hate thorns.
I was told to keep out of the disabled parking when I was only like 2 seconds unloading things. Its like... gimme a break. On my case all the time!!

Upvote 0