U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
General : what are some things you have had hot/cold relationships with in your life?

Specific : How has your music taste changed over the years?
Movies?
Books?
Art?
Clothing?
Fads?
Hobbies?
Food?
Etc.

What did you like yesterday, that you don't like today? And vice versa.
What do you think was the largest driving factor to your change?

I used to be the biggest A Day To Remember fangirl. Now I can't stand but maybe two songs.
I also used to be very into the hippy lifestyle. I mean, perfect portrayal.
I think the biggest reason for that change was.. I realized there were a multitude of more important things than what others thought about me. I'd say the mindset is still there, but I wash my hair now.

And ADTR kind of blows.

In recent years, I have gained a great respect for jazz and blues that I never had bothered with before.

Go wild!

tell us about your guilty pleasures :p

Last edited:
Reactions: timewerx

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Movies? I'm going crazy at classical movies (or classic-themed movies) lately. 50's to 80's usually, regardless of rating.

Books? I used to read war novels but recently I have an unnatural desire to go over my calculus book and an old 60's encyclopedia

Art? I've always been into photography

Clothing? I used to not care about it, like just a few years ago, but recently, I'm beginning to be quite conscious of how I look. I've already done it in my adolescence almost twenty years ago and I feel like I'm undergoing the same stage in life again, it's strange, I know!

Fads? I used to be a gamer, but not recently

Hobbies? Tramping in the woods, kayaking, cycling if I have the opportunity. I also used to fly RC helicopters but not anymore

Food? Been more veggy and eating a lot less lately due to much lower metabolism
Etc.

Music? I used to love modern rock music of all kinds. Now, I don't listen to them. I still listen to a great variety of songs from jazz to electronic to pop from the oldies to the year 2014 (I did not like 2015 season)

What did you like yesterday? Everything, especially the 50's

What do you think was the largest driving factor to your change? Got no clue

Reactions: MotherFirefly
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
christian people. coffee. games.
driving factor? heck if I know. reality is too complex to try to figure it all out.

guilty pleasure? if I can stop eating sweets it will be a freakin miracle. I justify eating most of the ice cream I have by the logic of " i'm gon eat it all in a week so might as well eat a lot of it at once". as long as it's not around I don't have a problem.

I have been a no-lifer for most of my life and so I can tend to take pleasure in whatever it is that I like til it hurts. in the past I could play games til i feel sick. one time I played "tibia" for about 30 hours straight. 0_0

I can drink so much coffee that after a while I start to get 2 day long headaches. p.s. don't drink chamomile tea if you have been drinking lots of coffee for a while. it might do the opposite to the brain that coffee does (coffee suppresses the sleepy-sleepy chemical in the brain). ~shrugs~ oh well headaches are a good way to change perspective and activate the humble part of me for a while. i'm guessing that being up during the night most of the time does not help either. opps i'm rambling. /meow

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Music?: I used to listen to a lot more rap then I used to, I can't stand most of it now. For this, I'd say the reason is because I have lived and seen how artificial and fake the "gangster" likestyle is. A lot of rap is based on ego, and, ego is nothing. I've lost a lot of ego I once had, and bragging and such.
Movies?: I used to watch a lot more serious movies then I do now. Serious movies, or movies that have twists, or dark movies, or psychological mind benders and things like that don't appeal to me anymore for the most part. I don't like to do things that don't make me feel good anymore, I avoid non-positive things.
Books?: Well I'll replace books with reading in general. I used to read online Wikipedia articles and stuff like that all the time. I was on a pursuit for truth in all areas in life. Now, having believed I've found truth, I don't have the same drive anymore. I miss it in some ways.
Art?: I used to be very artistic and free in those area, had a great taste for art. Now I don't really anymore, probably because I had to face a lot of terrible things since those carefree days which caused my life as a whole to be more serious. That's my theory anyway.
Clothing?: I now understand what quality clothing means, I pay more attention to clothing now then I ever did. I don't obsess though, and my style is still similar.
Fads?: I've always steered away from fads.
Hobbies?: I used to workout and run more then I do now. Trying to get back on the ball, but have medical reasons for not being on it sadly. Still trying though.
Food?: I eat less healthy, mostly due to not being able to afford the things I used to eat while living at home.

But the biggest change of all is God. I used to be an agnostic thinking atheist, searching for truth. Then one day, God gave me answers. Many, many things have changed since then.

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Art? I've always been into photography
Do you have a specific subject? :)

guilty pleasure? if I can stop eating sweets it will be a freakin miracle. I justify eating most of the ice cream I have by the logic of " i'm gon eat it all in a week so might as well eat a lot of it at once". as long as it's not around I don't have a problem.
^_^ I understand the struggle. I had to sound proof my freezer because my ice cream wouldn't stop calling for me.

Music?: I used to listen to a lot more rap then I used to, I can't stand most of it now. For this, I'd say the reason is because I have lived and seen how artificial and fake the "gangster" likestyle is. A lot of rap is based on ego, and, ego is nothing. I've lost a lot of ego I once had, and bragging and such.
Perfect description of why most rap is just awful.
Also, many artists accept the darkness they have seen and use it as inspiration to create some of the most beautiful depictions of life. Perhaps there is a chance to use your own darkness as a source for something beautiful you can be passionate about?
How would that be for conquering your own mind? :)

You guys are cool for being so in depth with your responses.

One thing I used to despise was black pepper. For some reason, I now throw it in everything. It is odd.

I was such a slob as a teen. Now, I have an obsession with things being clean and organized. I am talking straight up OCD.
I straighten curtains and pillows, ensure my shoes are all straight and facing the right way, (notice I used the word 'right') heck I can spot a cheeto-kid-fingerprint a mile away in a blizzard.
^_^

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not sure, I know I liked the sound of metal music a lot when I was 3-4. Aggressive angry, liberating. Sadly I grew up in a very Christian household and such music was banned. It wasn't until I had a walkman that I was able to listen to a few metal programs on public access radio. The cool thing is they'd actually play black metal music uncensored.

On that front my music preference has changed very little..

Film.. I like what I like and don't stick to any particular genre. Although many films were banned in my house as well especially horror. Even to this day I find most horror films off-putting.

Books.. I don't read books.

Food.. I don't know.. my sense of taste is poor so whatever.. :rolleyes:

Fads.. aww please.. I don't follow fads.. I set my own trends.. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

alsughasoughaiuyfygh

Site Supporter
Aug 26, 2015
Unknown
✟681,328.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't change very much as it's my nature to be resistant to change. The things I have managed to change were...

Music - I've always had a very diverse taste in music so whatever music comes that I like, I listen to. Recently I started getting into German metal and Bollywood music.
Art - Since last year I've taken a liking to anthropomorphic animal artwork. We are all just glorified animals.
Clothing - I used to wear a trench coat but stopped wearing it in recent years due to all the unwanted attention I got. Now I wear a jean jacket.
Hobbies - I've lost interest in video games. I used to spend great deals of time playing them but I can't find myself playing them anymore.

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Music - I've always had a very diverse taste in music so whatever music comes that I like, I listen to. Recently I started getting into German metal and Bollywood music.
Dude. Rammstein is a great german metal band. :D

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah love Rammstein.

My German teacher used to play him all the time, and we even had to learn lyrics for some of his songs.

That is so neat. xD I can't think of a better way to learn a language!

My music tastes went
Punk/emo -> metal/punk -> Indie/r&b -> metal/rock -> metal/rock/punk/instrumental/blues/jazz/indie/bluegrass/everything but rap and modern country.
:p

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is so neat. xD I can't think of a better way to learn a language!

My music tastes went
Punk/emo -> metal/punk -> Indie/r&b -> metal/rock -> metal/rock/punk/instrumental/blues/jazz/indie/bluegrass/everything but rap and modern country.
:p

Yeah, he was a great teacher. Clearly loved the language and would take many trips to Germany and knew the culture/pop culture well.

Upvote 0

alsughasoughaiuyfygh

Site Supporter
Aug 26, 2015
Unknown
✟681,328.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dude. Rammstein is a great german metal band. :D

So is Megaherz and In Extremo. I'm going to explore more of their music when I get the time.

Metal music and the German language were made for each other. :)

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So is Megaherz and In Extremo. I'm going to explore more of their music when I get the time.

Metal music and the German language were made for each other. :)

Totally. A good language for angry people in general. :p

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Relationships
In the past I had many friends and one day something told me that there would be a day where they will all fall away. I knew this in my heart and it did come to pass. Yes, I was still hurt, but not as much as I it could have hurt. The reason being is I believe God told me this both to ease my pain and a warning not to follow them.
God was working in my life and doing some gardening to clear the way.

Movies
Nothing has really changed here.
53053702-368-k99752.jpg

This movie was and still is among my favourites growing up. To this day I still stay clear from things like Saw.

Books
I used to read fiction books like
P9780345384461.JPG
series.
I really enjoyed her writing style (and still do), but I tend to stay away from cliches as I found I was reading the same things over and over.
It seems I have moved from reading stories to reading books that make me think, books that God leads me to read and learn from.

Art
Still enjoy anime, though the thing that has changed is that I will not watch just "any" anime. It must be tasteful and have an actual plot.
I do have a few foil pictures on the wall :)

Clothing
I used to care a little bit of what I wore and I have since outgrown that.

Hobbies
I've always been a "gamer" as many of you know, but that has declined since growing up means more responsibility! :p But less is good too as I don't like to play games for hours and days on end. I need and want my time with God, too, but that doesn't mean I don't include Him even in that. I test everything of what I see and hear.

I have changed my music since childhood. I used to listen/sing to a lot of Pop, but now it's more "game music" (and I have posted some before!) and Christian music. Today's mainstream has gotten to be very ... tasteless.

Food
Hmm... Not much has changed except the fact that I have eaten more since living on my own. I have recently made a budget for that so I don't over indulge.

The largest factor of change in my life is most definitely God. I've gone through all the ups and downs imaginable to know that He is the only way to life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Do you have a specific subject? :)

Nature, animals, still life, and self portraits. I get uneasy around other people so I rarely took human subjects. If I did, they are mostly candid pictures.

In reality, I rarely got the opportunity to do the hobby. I spend a lot more time photoshopping than taking pictures so my pictures are quite few.

Reminds me of my current favorite movie: Carol (2015) because I'm quite like one of the lead characters, the coincidences are uncanny.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In most things my taste has not changed as much as expanded. Simon and Garfunkel were my favorite 45 years ago and still are today. But I have added other groups I like and have found at least one or 2 songs in pretty much every genre that I like.

The biggest changes over the years is food. Once upon a time I liked bacon barely cooked, now I like it crisp. I like vegetables much more than I did when I was younger. Perhaps that is because they are no longer cooked to almost mush. When I cook vegies they are al dente.

Upvote 0

alsughasoughaiuyfygh

Site Supporter
Aug 26, 2015
Unknown
✟681,328.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Totally. A good language for angry people in general. :p

Arabic is an angry sounding one too. It's a very hard spoken language and every time my Arabic co-workers talk to each other their native language, they sound like they're having an argument.

"Yella, Wayholka, Yella!"

Upvote 0

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟96,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
General : what are some things you have had hot/cold relationships with in your life?

Movies?
Books?
Art?
Clothing?
Fads?
Hobbies?
Food?
Etc.

What did you like yesterday, that you don't like today? And vice versa.
What do you think was the largest driving factor to your change?

]
I've been oddly much the same over time..

Movies- favorites growing up were the Mummy and Charlie's Angels. Now my fav is Vanilla Sky. So I still like movies regarded by most as utter garbage.

Music- I have 5 CDs in my car- 2 savage garden, 2 Vanessa Carlton, and a Jessica Simpson. These have been my favs for forever. I did go through a big Avril Lavigne and Evanescence phase though when I wanted to be angsty.

Fashion is my biggest change. Growing up I had acne and was super overweight so my goal with fashion was to be invisible. I wore oversized men's tshirts and jeans all the time. Once I got older and realized we're all screwed up and insecure, I started embracing my fashion preferences and now wear a crazy dress or skirt every day.

Food has been mostly the same with the exception that I used to hate coconut and as of this year I love it.

Upvote 0

TheGoodLight

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
PA
✟412,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Film: I dug a lot of the movies that people born around the time I was (mid-80s) did. The kids movies, and then the teen movies, then the young adult movies, etc. I've never been too much of a movie watcher, but these days I tend to prefer comedies and documentaries (often, ones about music.)

Music: Used to be all about grunge and punk styles. Fell in love with British pop/rock sounds a little over 10 years ago. Have found myself enjoying more Christian artists, lately.

Books: I tried to get into sci-fi at one point, but sci-fi has a habit of going into directions that are too dark for my tastes! Fantasy stuff can work for me. I also study NDEs every now and then. And I'm sure it doesn't surprise, but I aim to read the Bible everyday now!

Art: I remember liking oil paintings a lot. Baroque styles can be wonderfully overwhelming.

Clothing: Never been a fancy dresser! Gimme a pair of sweats (dark ones that could pass for work pants if no one looks too closely... I'm not talking about really baggy ones that say 'juicy' on the backside, or anything like that) and a t-shirt.

Hobbies: When I was young, the storylines to Japanese RPGs blew my mind. Every now and then I work to re-discover the genre. I'm glad that there has been a lot of social progress in folks recognizing the art of gaming, and not just seeing games as toys for kids.

Food: Always found it hard to say no to pizza, though given the carbs/calories/starch, I've become a lot better about moderating how much of it I eat. Lately, I've been thinking that I'd like to have a grill.

Upvote 0