Pennsylvania, USA
✟753,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The thing is I know I could read Genesis 6:1-8 & have the same basic understanding of the earlier fathers like St. Irenaeus confirms in On the apostolic Preaching. The early fathers acknowledged this hybrid nephilim thing but did not seem to dwell on it.St. Irenaeus can express the Apostolic preaching from creation to the Gospel in less than 100 pp. St. John Chrysostom has hundreds of pages of homilies on a few chapters of Genesis.St. Basil the great has a homily per each day of creation. All of these things are the faith but the earlier fathers (prior to the 4th c.) seem easier to understand.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Nephilim were still descendants of Adam, even if they were children of a weird demon-human union.

such a hybrid seems more like some crappy SyFy movie than anything else. it does not make sense for a material being and an immaterial being to create some material hybrid thingie (they would have had to been material since they died in the Flood or whatever).

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe they possessed human men? I used to let them "borrow" my body in exchange for information (divining ability). If the world was as bad as Scripture says, I can easily see people being willing to give their bodies to demons in such a way to enjoy the power it could bring them.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe they possessed human men? I used to let them "borrow" my body in exchange for information (divining ability). If the world was as bad as Scripture says, I can easily see people being willing to give their bodies to demons in such a way to enjoy the power it could bring them.

maybe, but that is not a hybrid. a possessed human is still human. forgive me for being a nit picker, but today when you have all these crazy ideas about where we come from, you can't be too careful when it comes to this stuff.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dude, bro, EVERYTHING on syfy is crappy! LOL! That's just a requirement on that channel! :p

such a hybrid seems more like some crappy SyFy movie than anything else. it does not make sense for a material being and an immaterial being to create some material hybrid thingie (they would have had to been material since they died in the Flood or whatever).

Upvote 0

inconsequential

Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
maybe, but that is not a hybrid. a possessed human is still human. forgive me for being a nit picker, but today when you have all these crazy ideas about where we come from, you can't be too careful when it comes to this stuff.

Is is possible they made bodies for themselves or even physiologically altered the bodies of men? If we can make meat from plants, what might they be able to do with raw materials? Not saying I believe that, just throwing out some thoughts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is is possible they made bodies for themselves or even physiologically altered the bodies of men? If we can make meat from plants, what might they be able to do with raw materials? Not saying I believe that, just throwing out some thoughts.

no because you are talking about noetic beings becoming material as well. even plants altered to resemble meat are both still plants and still material. the only creatures that are both noetic and material are human beings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dude, bro, EVERYTHING on syfy is crappy! LOL! That's just a requirement on that channel! :p

hahaha, so you are telling me that's why Sharknado was not mentioned at the Oscars......?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello my brothers and sisters in Christ,

I am having a theological argument and I would love it if I could get some help with it.

The question is this, after the fall did the fallen angels mate with humans?

Were children born from these 'unions'?

Thank you for your help![/

i've looked into this . and found there's an endless amount of disagreement in regards to whether there was or there wasn't . as the book of the bible was written to humans . the inconclusiveness of this topic may be for that reason . i am however, just sharing my thoughts . hope you all have a good evening .

Upvote 0

inconsequential

Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Could the demons' fall have given them some sense of material existence because of the creation having a fallen nature? They are able to interact with matter in a physical way, so why not be able to take a form capable of procreating with humans? Or what about the mark on Cain being a genetic difference to set his lineage apart from the children of Seth?

If this has been covered, forgive me, I only have Internet access at work and can't read as much as I'd like.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Could the demons' fall have given them some sense of material existence because of the creation having a fallen nature? They are able to interact with matter in a physical way, so why not be able to take a form capable of procreating with humans? Or what about the mark on Cain being a genetic difference to set his lineage apart from the children of Seth?

If this has been covered, forgive me, I only have Internet access at work and can't read as much as I'd like.

no, demons are not, and never will be, material.

Upvote 0

inconsequential

Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
no, demons are not, and never will be, material.

Having never really thought about that, it raises some other questions for me, unrelated to nephilim. At the risk of derailing the thread, how do angels and demons interact with matter since they aren't material? I can understand God permitting/enabling angels to do so but what of demons? I can understand demons possessing people through their minds but what about the physical manifestations that are sometimes associated with such activity?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Having never really thought about that, it raises some other questions for me, unrelated to nephilim. At the risk of derailing the thread, how do angels and demons interact with matter since they aren't material? I can understand God permitting/enabling angels to do so but what of demons? I can understand demons possessing people through their minds but what about the physical manifestations that are sometimes associated with such activity?

perhaps at one time they were material? a question to add to the meditation .

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
perhaps at one time they were material? a question to add to the meditation .

angels and demons have always been spiritual beings. they are "slightly" material - when compared to God Who alone is pure spirit, but compared to us they are spiritual.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
angels and demons have always been spiritual beings. they are "slightly" material - when compared to God Who alone is pure spirit, but compared to us they are spiritual.

i am reminded of how the word commonly translated as "Spirit" in both hebrew and greek seems to be the wind . slightly material makes sense . i recall these times when it was harder to breathe because the "wind" in my windpipe was a little thicker than usual .

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

sure, God can allow them to afflict us physically if need be. look at the life of St Anthony or the modern book on the life of Elder Joseph the Hesychast (shameless plug because it is an awesome book), and you will see what demons can do to us physically

Upvote 0