Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
God has made humans in his image.
And the body is a temple.

1 Corinthians 6:19
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Which is a good reason not to have sex with temple prostitutes (1 Corinthians 6:15-20). It has nothing to do with diet and exercise.

Diet and exercise are good for the health of the body, so as a matter of practical wisdom eating healthy, regular exercise, etc is a good idea. It has nothing to do with holiness or righteousness though.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Returner

Bible Reader and Believer.
Sep 28, 2014
USA
✟8,014.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Which is a good reason not to have sex with temple prostitutes (1 Corinthians 6:15-20). It has nothing to do with diet and exercise.

Diet and exercise are good for the health of the body, so as a matter of practical wisdom eating healthy, regular exercise, etc is a good idea. It has nothing to do with holiness or righteousness though.

-CryptoLutheran

If God made the human body in his image, which makes it holy.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If God made the human body in his image, which makes it holy.

It doesn't make the act of diet and exercise any more holy than eating a pizza, however.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was on a no meat fast until easter[ I started before lent actually]. No chicken, beef, or pork. Sort of sucked, but I felt a significant change on the spiritual. I also lost like 30 pounds, but that might have been because I simultaneously began to exercise. Ironically, I still eat like I am on the fast out of habit now, but replaced fish with chicken every now and then.
Yay! (assuming you wanted to lose weight! lol)

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it true that if you really want to get close to God you must fast? Does fasting somehow bring you closer to God?
Men of God throughout the OT and NT alike have fasted for various reasons.
Some called it "humbling" themselves before God, so may want to add that
to the search query if studying this out.
IMO, fasting brings the power of God for change (for the good) not only in
your life, but in the lives of anyone God is trying to work for/help/draw...
who may be connected to you.
Recently reconnected to a good friend/relative. She shared some trials of her
close friends/relatives. I watched what had been going on, their lives were
a mess. 1 had lost custody, drugs, jobless etc.
Another being abused by a man, young children talking about suicide :( etc.
I totally believe that God put us together that someone would be PRAYING
for those people, because since she shared all of this and I began praying for
them, both lives are TOTALLY turned around. I am not taking any credit or
anything like that! GOD has folks that He wants to help, but maybe... just
maybe Wesley was right when he said, "God does nothing but in answer to prayer..."
Would have to study Scripture, to see if it seems to be a pattern. Jesus did
ask the disciples to come and pray with Him in the night "watch". But it could
be true! And if so, God then, will send someone to pray in faith for someone
who's in trouble? Could be! IIRC though, you're calvinist.. so in that case,
probably can disregard anything above.
Anyhow, there are a LOT of people, that have NO one to stand in the gap for
them! But I digress, sorry.
Jesus said that fasting was necessary (Not IF you fast, but WHEN you fast)
and the best way to find out about fasting is to just do it. Even one day of
water fast (combined with effectual fervent prayer!) would see "results".
Ezra 8:23
So we fasted and implored our God for this, and he listened to our entreaty.
Acts 13:2

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said,
“Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”

https://www.openbible.info/topics/fasting

Upvote 0

Returner

Bible Reader and Believer.
Sep 28, 2014
USA
✟8,014.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It doesn't make the act of diet and exercise any more holy than eating a pizza, however.

-CryptoLutheran

Jesus Christ had a 40 day/night fast and probably didn't pig out on jewish junkfood right afterward. LOL

He probably made sure his body was not flabby the whole time he was alive in the flesh, since he was always walking :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Jesus Christ had a 40 day/night fast and probably didn't pig out on jewish junkfood right afterward. LOL

He probably made sure his body was not flabby the whole time he was alive in the flesh, since he was always walking :)

That's great and all, but doesn't even come close to a rebuttal of my point. In first century Palestine you would have had to be one of the elite do even have access to proper regular nutrition, otherwise you got by as best you could. It's hard to get flabby for anyone living in a pre-modern society. For most of history being fat was an indication of affluence and wealth, because only the wealthy could afford the luxury of creature comforts. For the majority of everyone else it was trying to scrape by hoping there would a next meal at all.

The fact remains that diet and exercise has nothing to do with our bodies being the temple of the Holy Spirit, and has nothing to do with holiness.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Is it true that if you really want to get close to God you must fast? Does fasting somehow bring you closer to God?
Fasting, when done properly under the guidance of a spiritual father or mentor, can bring one closer to God. The question, therefore, is how one fasts.

Firstly, choosing what you fast from is easy. It isn't that hard to fast from a single item, like, for instance, pizza. This is why people in the Orthodox Church follow what is known as a prescribed fast. The faithful faster will meet with a spiritual father who will give guidelines on what foods to fast from, but also what kinds of activities one should partake in during their fast. Frequently, this includes almsgiving, volunteering in ministry in the Church or in community philanthropy, and/or Scripture reading.

For me, my fast doesn't actually include a food fast because I am medically forbidden to cut off from meat and to eat veggies, so instead, during the fast I might cook with less seasoning, but I have to be very careful to eat a large amount of meat to make up for blood loss, and to use a lot of dried, nutrient-rich herbs to make up for the lost vitamins that would havebeen provided from the 90% of veggies that I can no longer enjoy. For me, my doctor's fast is so much more difficult than the standard vegan diet that some Orthodox follow, because I absolutely adore the vegetable side of the plate.

But for me, I can fast from other things in a different way, by volunteering at a nursing home or using my time in prayer, rather than surfing Youtube or Facebook. Fasting alone will never bring one close to God, because a fast without prayer and good deeds is nothing more than a diet. Fasting is intentional in that it is focused more on the ends than on the means. Some people follow the fast and make the fast itself the ends, while the true Christian follows the fast given by his spiritual father for the express purpose of Theosis, that is, they fast to become more like the God they follow. We will never be fully like God, but we can strive to take on any and all of the energies of God. We will never have the essence of God, but we can act in a manner that, were God to be limited to our human bodies, as He was in Christ, He would react to our situation in like manner as we have.

That is the purpose of fasting: To unite ourselves with Christ.If one fasts for any other reason, then his fast is naught but a diet, or, at worst, a way to build pride. If fasting results in our pride, then we have fundamentally failed in our fast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dana Fitzpatrick

If this post benefited you, PRAISE GOD!!!
May 25, 2016
Alexandria, VA
✟7,705.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I completed a 40 day fast in March. I consumed only water, some salt, an occasional carbonated water, bullion to cleanse the digestive tract, and an apple cider concoction. Let me start by stating that I do not recommend a fast like this unless you are specifically directed by God, but then again we shouldn't be doing anything outside of God's direction anyway. However, God revealed this fast to me in prayer not as a directive, but a step He welcomed me to take. I asked Him in a previous fast if He would allow me to see demons so that I could cast them out. He told me that it would cost me 40 days, which concerned me. After a week or so, I told Him that I could do it, so He told me that I also could never drink another drop of alcohol. This also concerned me, and to a greater degree. I like beer and wine. However, I like God more, so I embarked on my 40 day fast.

I experienced weight loss of almost 40 pounds, having only started at 187. The only reason I weighed that little was because I had already fasted a few weeks previously. I spent a great amount of time without physical energy, freezing cold, and getting rid of everything in my life that distracted me from Him. I no longer play online video games, watch television or movies, listen to secular music, read secular books, or indulge in other secular entertainment. I also married my wife on day 9, which made for a very nonexistent honeymoon. On day 30 I experienced horrible nausea that would not go away until I realized the cause a week later. I'll discuss that below. On day 38 I felt true hunger, which is a constriction of the throat. I started drinking juices and was able to have my first real meal on the night of day 40. Two days later I was eating normally, but still experiencing a bit of difficulty swallowing. Less than three months later I now weigh 187, but my body fat has not increased much. I have all my strength back and more because I went straight to the gym afterward. To look at me now you wouldn't guess that I fast at all, ever.

I could detail the miracles and revelations I experienced throughout this period, but that would make a very long post. Suffice it to say that God, through my surrender, found a great deal of room to do His work that He wouldn't normally have had. Fasting revealed sins I didn't realize I needed to acknowledge. The nausea I mentioned earlier did not go away until I felt prodded to cast out demons. So I did. I immediately felt better for a few seconds. So I did it again and felt better again for a few seconds. Come to find out they keep coming back until you establish some holy real estate. Sometimes you can't even make them go away without renouncing a devotion you have made to a particular sin. Mine was vanity. When I got sick of not being able to sleep I asked God to give me rest from the sensitivity. After that I only felt it when I had put myself in situations involving overwhelming demon presence, which is common in the town of Washington, D.C.

At the end of the fast I planned to pray with my ex-wife for God's Great Revival. We had a big fight over money instead. I ran back to God for Him to fix it so that my visit with my kids wouldn't be ruined. When I drove the kids back I had an interaction with their mother that had never been possible before. God showed me how He sees her, as a vulnerable, loving mother or my children. I never loved her like that during our marriage. She and I continue to have respectful co-parenting dialogue in the best interests of our love for God and our children. I no longer feel the nausea. Instead of showing me demons, God showed me the true power behind the gifts of the Holy Spirit as well as Evangelism. Without love it's all meaningless. As long as there is one person on Earth you wouldn't willingly and happily share eternity with you will remain stagnant in your spiritual growth.

Jesus said not IF you fast, but WHEN. My fast and fasts in general are for the purpose of breaking earthly ties so that you can focus on what God wants. Fasts make room for God to do work that would require His competition in areas without the fast in place. A year ago I would have told you that fasting is nonsense and unnecessary. My advice is to disregard advice about fasting from anyone who hasn't done one, much as I ignored the me that existed a year ago. Fasting is an atomic bomb for your prayer life. It directs your focus on what God wants instead of what you want and opens your eyes and ears to whatever that Will is that should be number one in your life. If anyone wants to hear more, please message me. My directive is to spread the message He gave to me in the very manner befitting of His Holy Spirit.

God's Blessings upon you in His unfathomable Love.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I completed a 40 day fast in March. I consumed only water, some salt, an occasional carbonated water, bullion to cleanse the digestive tract, and an apple cider concoction. Let me start by stating that I do not recommend a fast like this unless you are specifically directed by God, but then again we shouldn't be doing anything outside of God's direction anyway. However, God revealed this fast to me in prayer not as a directive, but a step He welcomed me to take. I asked Him in a previous fast if He would allow me to see demons so that I could cast them out. He told me that it would cost me 40 days, which concerned me. After a week or so, I told Him that I could do it, so He told me that I also could never drink another drop of alcohol. This also concerned me, and to a greater degree. I like beer and wine. However, I like God more, so I embarked on my 40 day fast.

I experienced weight loss of almost 40 pounds, having only started at 187. The only reason I weighed that little was because I had already fasted a few weeks previously. I spent a great amount of time without physical energy, freezing cold, and getting rid of everything in my life that distracted me from Him. I no longer play online video games, watch television or movies, listen to secular music, read secular books, or indulge in other secular entertainment. I also married my wife on day 9, which made for a very nonexistent honeymoon. On day 30 I experienced horrible nausea that would not go away until I realized the cause a week later. I'll discuss that below. On day 38 I felt true hunger, which is a constriction of the throat. I started drinking juices and was able to have my first real meal on the night of day 40. Two days later I was eating normally, but still experiencing a bit of difficulty swallowing. Less than three months later I now weigh 187, but my body fat has not increased much. I have all my strength back and more because I went straight to the gym afterward. To look at me now you wouldn't guess that I fast at all, ever.

I could detail the miracles and revelations I experienced throughout this period, but that would make a very long post. Suffice it to say that God, through my surrender, found a great deal of room to do His work that He wouldn't normally have had. Fasting revealed sins I didn't realize I needed to acknowledge. The nausea I mentioned earlier did not go away until I felt prodded to cast out demons. So I did. I immediately felt better for a few seconds. So I did it again and felt better again for a few seconds. Come to find out they keep coming back until you establish some holy real estate. Sometimes you can't even make them go away without renouncing a devotion you have made to a particular sin. Mine was vanity. When I got sick of not being able to sleep I asked God to give me rest from the sensitivity. After that I only felt it when I had put myself in situations involving overwhelming demon presence, which is common in the town of Washington, D.C.

At the end of the fast I planned to pray with my ex-wife for God's Great Revival. We had a big fight over money instead. I ran back to God for Him to fix it so that my visit with my kids wouldn't be ruined. When I drove the kids back I had an interaction with their mother that had never been possible before. God showed me how He sees her, as a vulnerable, loving mother or my children. I never loved her like that during our marriage. She and I continue to have respectful co-parenting dialogue in the best interests of our love for God and our children. I no longer feel the nausea. Instead of showing me demons, God showed me the true power behind the gifts of the Holy Spirit as well as Evangelism. Without love it's all meaningless. As long as there is one person on Earth you wouldn't willingly and happily share eternity with you will remain stagnant in your spiritual growth.

Jesus said not IF you fast, but WHEN. My fast and fasts in general are for the purpose of breaking earthly ties so that you can focus on what God wants. Fasts make room for God to do work that would require His competition in areas without the fast in place. A year ago I would have told you that fasting is nonsense and unnecessary. My advice is to disregard advice about fasting from anyone who hasn't done one, much as I ignored the me that existed a year ago. Fasting is an atomic bomb for your prayer life. It directs your focus on what God wants instead of what you want and opens your eyes and ears to whatever that Will is that should be number one in your life. If anyone wants to hear more, please message me. My directive is to spread the message He gave to me in the very manner befitting of His Holy Spirit.

From just reading the first paragraph (I couldn't get beyond that), I'm almost speechless. Your post is quite shocking. What you've described is not Christianity. It's paganism. You did a "rain dance" to make god give you what you wanted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To say that it gets you closer to God would not be accurate. If you are born again, a new creation, the Holy Spirit dwells within you.

But, fasting can do something beneficial for Christians: It mortifies the flesh, and helps you walk in a greater measure of victory. Paul says in Galatians that we should walk after the Holy Spirit and we won't fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

In other words, mortifying your flesh will help your spirit person be more obedient to the Holy Spirit's guidance.

The only way you can get separated from God is through very bad, willful, persistent sin which will lead to spiritual death. Most old timers call this backsliding.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There are a variety of problems with what you have described here, and it sounds as if you got yourself caught up with a charismatic church affiliated with the New Apostolic Reformation ala Ihop, Bethel, or Morningstar Ministries.

Please, hear me out on this. Mind you, I've done extended fasts before. It's nothing to boast about. But...

You were seduced into this fast by a deceptive demon ala 1 Tim. 4:-1-2 because how this happened defies Biblical standards for having such a fast.

God does not bargain about His Spiritual gifts. They manifest according to His will. You have been cavorting with a seducing spirit that appears to be quite legalistic.

Moreover, unless you came to an agreement with your new wife about this 40 day fast which preceded, went through, and outlasted day of marriage and honeymoon, you have defied plain scripture where Paul says that couples should not fast and pray for extended periods without conjugal interaction unless they agree.

Look, I know what it's like to get caught up in the charismania, I did it for years. It sounds like you really want to honor God, but doctrine is even more important than prayer and fasting because without solid doctrine, everything else is in vain.

I encourage you to check out this website which exposes what's going on in the charismatic churches today. It's very deceptive. They're using manipulative witchcraft to heap up mindless tithers who spend countless dollars on their wicked books and resources:

www.becarefulhowyouhear.com

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Fasting is a practice of piety and therefore a means of grace. Fasting is one thing often used by the Holy Spirit to strengthen us in grace and the knowledge of God.

Upvote 0

Dana Fitzpatrick

If this post benefited you, PRAISE GOD!!!
May 25, 2016
Alexandria, VA
✟7,705.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thatbrian and AGTG, I would like to start by saying thank you for your responses. It is good that you “believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.” I apologize for leaving out crucial aspects, but I didn't want a super long post, and it seems good for discussion after all. I did, in fact discuss the matter with my wife beforehand and she participated quite willingly. If not for her I don’t know if I could have completed the task. I would also like to address the notion that this was any sort of bargain. Any deal-making with my Creator happened only within my mind. I am not a member of any charismatic, cultist, or otherwise snake-charming fire-eating ministry whatsoever. I am a man seeking what God wants. Before my fast I was a man seeking what I wanted that could also be OK with God. That is one major difference that resulted, for which I am thankful.

To clarify, God asks us to make sacrifices all of the time. “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me.” That’s said threefold the number of times in the gospels as John 3:16. God asked me if I would make the sacrifices of 40 days and no alcohol. It was my own mind that filled in the blank as to what He would give me. God does not lie or go back on His word, so I have long since come to terms with the fact that I never made a deal with Him outside of my own mind at the time. Incidentally, I received fulfillment of many other requests that proved much more pleasant than the original.

That being said, let’s get to the real meat of my post. Thatbrian asked if one can get closer to God by fasting. Is this a semantic discussion or a spiritual one? Semantically speaking, we are an eternity away from God the Father, but bridged by God the Son. The Holy Spirit dwells within our hearts. Therefore, we cannot become closer to God until we experience salvation and dwell with the Father. Spiritually speaking, we can become closer with God when we increase our intimacy. God is always available for fellowship, but we aren’t. We are typically encumbered with the daily distractions manifested in our fleshly compulsions. Fasting silences that background noise.

What I have done here attempts to answer your inquiry concerning “becoming closer” in a familiarity sense. I told you basically that through my fast I became much “closer” to God, not because of any compromise on His part, but because of chains He broke through my willingness to let go of them. I remind you again that Our Lord did, in fact, say WHEN you fast. He lived as our example and everything He accomplished represents the limits of which we are all capable. A man in full intimacy with the Holy Spirit can perform healings, miracles, prophecies, and also speak and understand tongues. The catch is that these things must be dictated by God and not performed as a freak show just because you feel like showing off.

Again, thanks for the graceful discussion!

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Congratulations, Dana. I know it was difficult and unpleasant. It sounds like God blessed you enormously, though! Apart from the actual transformation, I suspect God will give you revelations about what you went through and what you learned for the rest of your life.

... Let me start by stating that I do not recommend a fast like this unless you are specifically directed by God, ...
Something I say whenever the subject of long fasts comes up. I would add "clearly" directed by God, too. And if the context is appropriate, "if health permits."

Those that have negative responses to it seem to not have faith in this:

... However, God revealed this fast to me in prayer not as a directive, but a step He welcomed me to take. ...
and his implication that "specifically directed by God" applied in this case.

You have run into something that is beyond your faith right now. Whenever someone is confronted with something that is beyond the faith they have at that time, their reaction is atheistic (unbelieving). I've been plenty guilty of it in the past. I remember hearing about an inter-continental youth missions trip where they brought no money with them. They had to wait until God provided them with the means to return home. My reaction was something like "there's a limit!" [to how much we should trust God]. My reaction was the result of a lack of faith in God (specifically what his love means).

In response to the question in the original post, it depends on why you do it. The act of not eating food is not going to draw one closer to God. However, what will is when fasting is done with the hope that it will draw you closer to God. In that case it is an expression of faith. The act of sacrificing for "more of God" or in obedience to God brings Him close to a person faster than anything else I know of. Fasting is special in that one temporarily suffers for God by stopping something. In contrast taking more direct action for God (e.g., sharing the gospel) requires skills, understanding, and effort. Fasting only requires resolve.

Biblical Jews fasted between sunrise and sunset. But how you fast is not a mechanical action, it is an act of faith. As such, you can define the parameters you want for your fast. It is a type of offering to God. With our lives integrated into society as they are and with ever-changing sunrise and sunset times, a perfectly good substitute is to fast between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. A good habit is to do this twice a week. There is zero reason to feel guilty about not fasting when you hear about other Christians that fast. However, it is easy to shove that false guilt away when in this habit, which is Biblically implied as being good (if it's explicit, I'm not familiar with the passage). Going beyond that is done when God directs you or when you want something from God. God doesn't need us to fast. It is an offering and a demonstration of how serious you are. It is not the price of getting something you want. Fasting for that reason will probably get you nothing.

For those that still don't "get" what fasting is and why do it, you can think of a single 24 hour fast as the equivalent of an hour of prayer each day for 7 days. Why do you pray?

If one has never had the habit of fasting before, I suggest doing water-only (if health permits) between breakfast and dinner once/week (i.e., no lunch or snacks).

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm almost speechless. Your post is quite shocking. What you've described is not Christianity. It's paganism. You did a "rain dance" to make god give you what you wanted.
Was it paganism when Jesus did it?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus fasted, and it was, if you read in the bible, an act that did bring people closer to God because that time was spent in prayer as well. Often it was done to show God we were serious about something. Eg esther, daniel, the ninevites etc.

Sometimes fasting happens when we are grieving, because we just cant eat anyway.
But Jesus did say we need new wineskins, fasting can be a way to detox as it were, from distractions and junk of the world and when you are fasting you do totally rely on Him.

Also, not many people know this, as in some bibles they leave of the admonishment that Jesus cast out demons that could only go out through prayer AND fasting. The god of our bellies is a hungry god but its not the holy spirit who feeds on the bread which is JESUS, the Word.

Upvote 0