Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Examples:
-Helping the poor through St.Vincent de Paul on Saturday and then staying at a luxury 5 star Hotel Saturday Night.
-Working on a mission for a year in a poor country, then spending the next year travelling around the world at your leisure.
-Donating 100 000 dollars to your Church, then buying an investment property worth 500 thousand dollars.

Jesus said something to the effect" sell all your belongings and follow me". Most of us choose a compromise. Is it OK to compromise? Can we choose the Kingdom of God and this life too?

Reactions: archer75
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Examples:
-Helping the poor through St.Vincent de Paul on Saturday and then staying at a luxury 5 star Hotel Saturday Night.
-Working on a mission for a year in a poor country, then spending the next year travelling around the world at your leisure.
-Donating 100 000 dollars to your Church, then buying an investment property worth 500 thousand dollars.

Jesus said something to the effect" sell all your belongings and follow me". Most of us choose a compromise. Is it OK to compromise? Can we choose the Kingdom of God and this life too?
But,Jesus was not telling everybody to sell all of what one has.He knew that this rich young ruler was obsessed with his wealth. In my case,I do pay my tithes and offerings.And,because of my tithes and offerings,I can deduct that amount for my tax deductions. Since I have no kids,I need all the deductions that I can get. By the way,before I started to make the money,that I make now,I was bringing my offerings to church. Therefore,I did not let, making more money, change me. The more money that I started to make,the more money I paid in tithes and offerings. :)

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

T.C

Jan 17, 2017
United States
✟16,691.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No whatever you can, If you honestly want the gospel to be spread world wide and to support the church then give as much as you can. I don't make much right now. I've given as much as 14% and as little as 7% depending on my funds.... for middle class Americans that number should be a lot higher, specifically whatever you can, this should be a joy and not a duty.

Upvote 0
Impoverishment is not holiness, quite the opposite. If I choose to give money away, great, the poor benefit. But if I choose not to have money can I be a benefit to the poor?
The Apostle Paul said "the love of money is the root of all evil" and Jesus said don't worry 'bout nothing because he cares for us.
I don't know, I give when I see the need and let him worry about the rest.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Impoverishment is not holiness, quite the opposite.
The more I delve into my own faith (Catholicism), the more I see that there is an ideal which the Gospel asks us to follow. To truly help the poor, we need to live with the poor our whole lives. Give our life in self-sacrifice. Like the missionaries who spend their whole lives in poverty-stricken countries. No half-measures like the rest of us.

Upvote 0