✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
follower2 said:
Can someone tell me what exactly are the beliefs of theistic evolutionists. Thanks:thumbsup:

Hi follower2. I'm not a TE but I wanted to welcome you to CF and to Origins Theology. It's a big forum, try not to get lost ;)

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
follower2 said:
Can someone tell me what exactly are the beliefs of theistic evolutionists. Thanks:thumbsup:

my favorite introductory essay on the topic is at:
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dlamoure/3EvoCr.htm

there are several good books on the topic that are often recommended in these forums,
i like:

Evolution from Creation to New Creation: Conflict, Conversation, and Convergence by Ted Peters and Martinez Hewlett

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
follower2 said:

You've been steered to some good sources for learning what theistic evolutionists believe about evolution.

I would like to add that beliefs about evolution are the only beliefs TEs have in common. When it comes to other aspects of theology, a Christian TE will not agree with a Muslim TE, and even two Christian TEs may have differences.

IOW, theistic evolution is not an all-encompassing theological position. It just applies to the mutual relation of God as Creator and evolution as a process within creation.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
follower2 said:

You've been steered to some good sources for learning what theistic evolutionists believe about evolution.

I would like to add that beliefs about evolution are the only beliefs TEs have in common. When it comes to other aspects of theology, a Christian TE will not agree with a Muslim TE, and even two Christian TEs may have differences. For example, I disagree with the TE position of Teilhard de Chardin mentioned in the TE Wiki. Nor do I subscribe to process theology.

IOW, theistic evolution is not an all-encompassing theological position. It just applies to the mutual relation of God as Creator and evolution as a process within creation.

If there is one thing I think TEs do agree on, it is that God created the universe as a revelation of himself, and therefore the testimony of the universe and the things in it as to how and when they were created must be taken very seriously.

Upvote 0

relspace

Mar 18, 2006
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟9,052.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
gluadys said:

If there is one thing I think TEs do agree on, it is that God created the universe as a revelation of himself, and therefore the testimony of the universe and the things in it as to how and when they were created must be taken very seriously.

Indeed, I cannot agree more! I think that the ideas of people who embrace theistic evolution are going to vary more that any other group. (Notice that it takes of 3 of the options in Vance's list in "The Full spectrum of Christian belief on Origins"). The reason is because the TEist is not embracing the easy and simplistic answers. Life is complex and there are often many ways of looking at the same thing. The TEist realizes that the Creationist and the Evolutionist are just looking at the same thing with different eyes. But ideas on how the apparent contradictions resolve and how the different approaches (Creation and evolution) mesh together into a single reality are naturally going to vary a lot.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.