Can Messianic Jews get body piercings and/or tattoos?

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you know people with tattoos? It seems that once a person gets one, they tend to get more eventually. I think it is like any occult experience. It opens one up to demonic influence, if not outright possession.

I think it is more about environment and upbringing than demonic influence- but that could play a part in some cases. I've worked with tattooed Christians and they have been just as decent and God fearing as those without tattoos. But I think the self-abuse that is tattooing is a symptom of something that is missing in a person's life- there is a psychological urge in them that is perhaps in need of addressing.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My retort to Farouk was actually satirical as I am at a total loss to understand why anyone would want to deface their bodies with symbology that increasingly reflects the more deviant elements of our society. It has probably come to the point where when we see someone with a cross tatood on their bodies who who even wears a gold cross that they are probably in need of the Gospel.

Interesting point. Just like many people in the pews are in need of the Gospel!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's widespread custom; and many Christians simply think it can be one of various witness means.

Indeed, but ultimately it is a confusing witness. There are many very clear passages in the Bible that tell us to reject worldliness. Those passages emphasize us standing apart from the world, looking and behaving modestly and differently. At the moment, tattoos are very much in vogue. Very trendy and very much in the zeitgeist. Now is perhaps a great time for believers to reject tattoos and say that we wear our badges and dearest things deep in our hearts.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think it is more about environment and upbringing than demonic influence- but that could play a part in some cases. I've worked with tattooed Christians and they have been just as decent and God fearing as those without tattoos. But I think the self-abuse that is tattooing is a symptom of something that is missing in a person's life- there is a psychological urge in them that is perhaps in need of addressing.
I would say it would most likely be the result of a less than ideal cultural upbringing. Even if this is the case, it does not necessarily mean that someone who comes from a home environment that promotes poor decision making that they are not decent people, merely that their senses have not been properly trained.

Now for an adult who has been tatooed and is married, then I suppose that he can always use the signs of his prior life where poor decision making played a key part in this daily life as a living contrast to his new life in Christ; much the same as someone who has had a criminal past can do - where it often can be turned into a luctrative story within many church circles.

Of course, for the teenager and particularly for the younger teenage girl who has marked her body, then she may have to wear this badge of shame for many years where many a fine potential husband might be inclined to keep his distance. For the life of me, I cannot fathom for a second why any Christian would encourage a young Christian girl to deface her body; I am of the strong opinion that if a church discovers that one of their members has unduly encouraged a young girl to do this then the errant adult should be advised to leave the congregation.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say it would most likely be the result of a less than ideal cultural upbringing. Even if this is the case, it does not necessarily mean that someone who comes from a home environment that promotes poor decision making that they are not decent people, merely that their senses have not been properly trained.

Now for an adult who has been tatooed and is married, then I suppose that he can always use the signs of his prior life where poor decision making played a key part in this daily life as a living contrast to his new life in Christ; much the same as someone who has had a criminal past can do - where it often can be turned into a luctrative story within many church circles.

Of course, for the teenager and particularly for the younger teenage girl who has marked her body, then she may have to wear this badge of shame for many years where many a fine potential husband might be inclined to keep his distance. For the life of me, I cannot fathom for a second why any Christian would encourage a young Christian girl to deface her body; I am of the strong opinion that if a church discovers that one of their members has unduly encouraged a young girl to do this then the errant adult should be advised to leave the congregation.

I think it was Paul Stanley who once gave advice to a young man who dressed radically (looked like a goth or something) that while it was good to be different there was no reason to make life hard on yourself in the way you present yourself. A great piece of advice.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think it was Paul Stanley who once gave advice to a young man who dressed radically (looked like a goth or something) that while it was good to be different there was no reason to make life hard on yourself in the way you present yourself. A great piece of advice.
Well said, though the notoriety of an ugly piece of body desecration can probably help those with a poor self image to maybe stand out a bit? Of course, a nail going through one side of the head and out the other might have a similar affect.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I replied to this:

Did that quote sound like every person with tattoos were possessed? Pot is a gateway drug because many who smoke it go on to heroin, coke and other drugs. That doesn't mean every person who smokes a joint will become a meth head.

Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's widespread custom; and many Christians simply think it can be one of various witness means.
How can it be a witness? Pagans have crosses tattooed on them, why? because it's a device of DEATH,

When one is tattooed it can be seen from a distance, that it is a tattoo because of the certain color it looks on the skin(to me it always looks like a bruise) but you most likely wouldn't be able to tell what it was except upon close inspection. You want to witness? wear it on a t-shirt, wear THANK YOU on a t-shirt and when someone asks you what that means you then have a chance to tell them what and WHO you are thankful to.

I was taught since very young to not conform to the world and I believe that's the right way to walk.

Reactions: Biblicist
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Where does it end?

It doesn't end.
th
article-2051604-0E76B3F900000578-383_306x510.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
... it seems more women nowadays do it.
Very true. 59%-70% of parlor clients in North America are female, including many Christians. Women in the military and military wives are particularly noted for getting faith and patriotic themed ink.

Upvote 0