Can Messianic Jews get body piercings and/or tattoos?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Earrings are another matter. The only prohibition I can think of regarding them is that we are to dress modestly. We are not to try to shock others by our appearance.

Why do you keep moving the bar?
Let's stay on the same matter: Do you think people ought to be prohibited from partaking of the Lord's Supper if they wear goatees?

Let me just give you my two cents' about the doctrinal background. Romans 14 is clear about Christian liberty. For the New Testament believer, we are supposed to realize that the law was changed (Hebrews 7.12) and what we now have is better than the law (Hebrews 7.19).

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Let's stay on the same matter: Do you think people ought to be prohibited from partaking of the Lord's Supper if they wear goatees?

Let me just give you my two cents' about the doctrinal background. Romans 14 is clear about Christian liberty. For the New Testament believer, we are supposed to realize that the law was changed (Hebrews 7.12) and what we now have is better than the law (Hebrews 7.19).

If we believe that, we are wrong.

What is the Law? The Torah.

What is Torah? The word of God.

Who is Yeshua, and what is he? He is the son of God and the Word, or Torah, made flesh.

When we discard the Torah, we discard Yeshua.

I will take for granted that you think we can eat anything now. What happens when Yeshua returns?

Isaiah 66:17
They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The reason that Jews are forbidden to get tattoos is because it is a heathen practice that marked oneself for the dead.

Since this was a pagan practice and if Only Jews shouldn't where does that leave Gentiles who believe?

Practicing a pagan ritual, that's were it leaves them.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The reason that Jews are forbidden to get tattoos is because it is a heathen practice that marked oneself for the dead.

Since this was a pagan practice and if Only Jews shouldn't where does that leave Gentiles who believe?

Practicing a pagan ritual, that's were it leaves them.

Actually, I don't think that would apply in every case, because different cultures marked their bodies for many differing reasons. It's about what it means TODAY that is important. And it is very worldly and that should be deterrent enough.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Actually, I don't think that would apply in every case, because different cultures marked their bodies for many differing reasons. It's about what it means TODAY that is important. And it is very worldly and that should be deterrent enough.

Do you know people with tattoos? It seems that once a person gets one, they tend to get more eventually. I think it is like any occult experience. It opens one up to demonic influence, if not outright possession.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you know people with tattoos? It seems that once a person gets one, they tend to get more eventually. I think it is like any occult experience. It opens one up to demonic influence, if not outright possession.
So a young Christian lady who leaves home and goes away to study and gets a cross or Bible ref. inked on her wrist and witnesses to her friends is demon possessed?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So a young Christian lady who leaves home and goes away to study and gets a cross or Bible ref. inked on her wrist and witnesses to her friends is demon possessed?
Even though religious tattoos and particularly tattoos that display a cross are now seemingly the tattoo of choice by the more deviant recording artists, drug pushers, prostitutes and the like, we still need to be careful with describing young adults who have had a Christian upbringing as being 'demon possessed' because they have followed the same pathway. I appreciate that when a Christian defaces their bodies with a cross that it can make it hard to differentiate them from the deviant element within society that has done the same.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even though religious tattoos and particularly tattoos that display a cross are now seemingly the tattoo of choice by the more deviant recording artists, drug pushers, prostitutes and the like, we still need to be careful with describing young adults who have had a Christian upbringing as being 'demon possessed' because they have followed the same pathway.
I agree that we have to be carefully in calling someone demon possessed in these circumstances; and this was the point of my question, really.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
I agree that we have to be carefully in calling someone demon possessed in these circumstances; and this was the point of my question, really.
Every tattoo artist uses different inks and I am wondering if the chemicals in the ink cause some of this "attraction" towards more ink. Then there is the psychological fascination with all things ink.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Every tattoo artist uses different inks and I am wondering if the chemicals in the ink cause some of this "attraction" towards more ink. Then there is the psychological fascination with all things ink.
Of course for some Christians it involves more of a pragmatic realization that it's a proven effective witness means.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the United States, tattoo inks are subject to regulation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as cosmetics and color additives. The FDA and medical practitioners have noted that many ink pigments used in tattoos are “industrial strength colors suitable for printers’ ink or automobile paint.”

In California, Proposition 65 requires that Californians be warned before exposure to certain harmful chemicals; tattoo parlors in California must warn their patrons that tattoo inks contain heavy metals known to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm.

Professional inks may be made from iron oxides (rust), metal salts, plastics.

Homemade or traditional tattoo inks may be made from pen ink, soot, dirt, blood, or other ingredients.

A carrier acts as a solvent for the pigment, to “carry” the pigment from the point of needle trauma to the surrounding dermis. Carriers keep the ink evenly mixed and free from pathogens, and aid application. The most typical solvent is ethyl alcohol or water, but denatured alcohols, methanol, rubbing alcohol, propylene glycol, and glycerine are also used. When an alcohol is used as part of the carrier base in tattoo ink or to disinfect the skin before application of the tattoo, it increases the skin's permeability, helping to transport more chemicals into the bloodstream.

A recent case report also showed that tattoo pigments migrate into lymph nodes. These can show up on some types of medical scans as tumors. One woman was given a complete hysterectomy only to find out later that the lymph nodes contained tattoo pigment.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ancient Roman recipe

The Roman physician Aetius created a recipe for tattoo ink:

• One pound of Egyptian pine bark
  • Two ounces of corroded bronze, ground with vinegar
  • Two ounces of gall (insect egg deposits)
  • One ounce of vitriol (iron sulphate)

Mix well and sift.
Soak powder in 2 parts water and 1 part leek juice.
Wash the skin to be tattooed with leek juice.
Prick design with needles until blood is drawn. Rub in the ink.

I believe that that part underlines is the main Reason why G-d says not to do this, it is a form of blood ritual

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

If that's what you got from my post, you should really work on your vocabulary or comprehension skills.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Even though religious tattoos and particularly tattoos that display a cross are now seemingly the tattoo of choice by the more deviant recording artists, drug pushers, prostitutes and the like, we still need to be careful with describing young adults who have had a Christian upbringing as being 'demon possessed' because they have followed the same pathway. I appreciate that when a Christian defaces their bodies with a cross that it can make it hard to differentiate them from the deviant element within society that has done the same.

Read my reply to Farouk.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Of course for some Christians it involves more of a pragmatic realization that it's a proven effective witness means.

That depends on what you're witnessing. If it is that you can call yourself Christian and live like the world, they you are correct. Chances are that if you look like the world and act like the world, you are not a follower of Yeshua.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Read my reply to Farouk.
My retort to Farouk was actually satirical as I am at a total loss to understand why anyone would want to deface their bodies with symbology that increasingly reflects the more deviant elements of our society. It has probably come to the point where when we see someone with a cross tatood on their bodies who who even wears a gold cross that they are probably in need of the Gospel.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
My retort to Farouk was actually satirical as I am at a total loss to understand why anyone would want to deface their bodies with symbology that increasingly reflects the more deviant elements of our society. It has probably come to the point where when we see someone with a cross tatood on their bodies who who even wears a gold cross that they are probably in need of the Gospel.

Thanks for explaining. With some people here, it can be hard to tell when they are kidding or if their argument is just that far out or unlikely.

Upvote 0