Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can I hang the portrait of Jesus in my room and pray in front of him?

YjSe7v
NO! Who told you it is a portrait of Jesus? Tell me who knows what he looks like? And if that is not him in the picture, who is it that you are bowing down before?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
God made Moses make a serpent in the desert for people to look to when bitten.

Jesus replaced that with the Crucifix.

We know what Jesus looked like as he was made as 'man'.

God had people bowing infront of the Ark of the Covenant did he not?

A picture or a Crucifix is not idol worship as one is not worshiping the item. It brings to us a representation of how we think Jesus looked. What is in the heart and soul is the most important thing.

Don't you think that God knows what we are worshiping when we kneel in front of a Crucifix / statue / picture of Jesus! God knows 'EVERYTHING' so he will know our minds and hearts. Obviously He would know we are not worshiping an 'item!'.

Upvote 0

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

YjSe7v
I'll go against the majority here and say that it's fine. It's just a prop you use to help you focus and direct your attention to him. I have a picture of my wife and kids in my wallet, and my emotions relating to them are much stronger when I see their picture than when I only imagine them in my mind.

I don't understand why people here are taking issue with the fact that we don't know Jesus' exact physical appearance. The picture represents him to you and you recognise it as such. His spiritual significance is far more important than his exact physical appearance during his short time on earth.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do. Many Protestants would likely be wary of this, but most Catholics or Orthodox would likely see no problem.

God became flesh, and men bowed before Christ and cried "my Lord and my God!". So in light of the incarnation, I don't get why drawing near to Christ via artwork is such a big deal for many. Obviously Christ is not the painting. But He is represented by the painting, and if God had such a massive problem with people drawing near to His holiness and Majesty via sacred objects, it becomes a bit difficult, imo, to explain the Ark of the Covenant, the Tabernacle, the Temple, the Incarnation, and 2,000 years of pre-Reformation Christian artwork.
Agreed.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
...where they pray to statues and stuff Orthodox/catholic, could be more but yeah.

As an Orthodox Christian, I would clarify that it is not the icon we pray to, but to Christ Jesus Himself.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
If you don't mind breaking the first two commandments, go right ahead.

Its not though. See my post above.

God knows what you are thinking. Its not like the OT where there were 1,000s of gods. We know who God is when we kneel in front of a Crucifix or an image of Jesus! To think that anyone is praying to the image etc is absolutely wrong!

God knows our Hearts. He knows who we are praying to!

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Its not though. See my post above.

God knows what you are thinking. Its not like the OT where there were 1,000s of gods. We know who God is when we kneel in front of a Crucifix or an image of Jesus! To think that anyone is praying to the image etc is absolutely wrong!

God knows our Hearts. He knows who we are praying to!
Also, in the OT, Jesus had not become incarnate. That's why we Orthodox aren't supposed to have icons of God the Father.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As an Orthodox Christian, I would clarify that it is not the icon we pray to, but to Christ Jesus Himself.
Oh my bad then maybe that's just with Catholics I was referring to holding rosarys or kneeling praying before statues. Ik a guy who's the son of an orthodox pastor who utilizes materialistic things for prayer but maybe that's not for everyone. That's why I believe I said I believe it's Catholics and orthodoxies wasn't 100% sure about the orthodox faith thanks for the clarification

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh my bad then maybe that's just with Catholics. Ik a guy who's the son of an orthodox pastor who utilizes materialistic things for prayer but maybe that's not for everyone.
Let me clarify what I meant. I maintain that we do not worship the icons nor do we pray to the icons. That said, we definitely have icons, and we even venerate them (not for the wood and paint, but for the subject of the icon). Any prayer in front of the icon is not prayer to the icon itself but to the subject of the icon. It is an important clarification. The image on the icon is a prototype, as it points us to the original. An icon of Christ points us not to the paint and wood, but to our Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

"Icons are in colors what the Scripture are in words: witnesses to the Incarnation, the fact that God has come among us
as a person whom we can see, touch and hear, to offer us the new life and begin the new creation."

- 7th Ecumenical Council

A quote from St. Basil the Great:

"What the word transmits through the ear, the painting silently shows through the image, and by these two means, mutually accompanying one another... we receive knowledge of one and the same thing."

"In former times God, who is without form or body, could never be depicted. But now when God is seen in the flesh conversing with humans, I make an image of the god whom I see. I do not worship matter: I worship the Creator of matter who became matter [flesh] for my sake, who willed to take his abode in matter: who worked out my salvation through matter. Never will I cease honouring the matter which wrought my salvation! I honour it but not as God."
-St John of Damascus

I don't want to pull this off track, but I also don't want to mislead you. I'll reiterate though - we don't worship or pray to the icon, but rather worship and pray to Jesus Christ Himself who is depicted in the icon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me clarify what I meant. I maintain that we do not worship the icons. That said, we definitely have icons, and we even venerate them (not for the wood and paint, but for the subject of the icon). Any prayer is not prayer to the icon but to the subject of the icon. It is an important clarification. The image on the icon is a prototype, as it points us to the original. An icon of Christ points us not to the paint and wood, but to our Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

I don't want to pull this off track, but I also don't want to mislead you. I'll reiterate though - we don't worship the icon, but rather worship Jesus Christ Himself who is depicted in the icon.
Well said :thumbsup:
I'd also like to add that icons play an important role in church history. Going back to times when the majority were illiterate, icons were used to depict the stories and themes of Christianity. Hence all the stain glass windows, paintings and sculptures. The majority we're just visual aids rather than objects of worship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well said :thumbsup:
I'd also like to add that icons play an important role in church history. Going back to times when the majority were illiterate, icons were used to depict the stories and themes of Christianity. Hence all the strain glass windows, painting and sculptures. The majority we're just visual aids rather than objects of worship.
Yes, icons depict Theology as well - great point! Even today, they are extremely helpful for children to learn about the faith, and to enhance understanding for all of us, especially visual learners.

Upvote 0

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, icons depict Theology as well - great point! Even today, they are extremely helpful for children to learn about the faith, and to enhance understanding for all of us, especially visual learners.
Now we also make movies too

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
As a Lutheran, I see nothing wrong with this practice. I have a crucifix hanging in my room and pray in front of it all the time. I also have icons and statues.

It's an impossible scenario. There are no portraits of Jesus, only assumptions of His likeness.

The images of Jesus are all remarkably similar in their characteristics. A semitic face, a beard, long hair. Some time in the ancient Church, they were standardized around the common form, whereas previously Christ was sometimes depicted as the Greek god Apollo (short, curly hair, youthful appearance, etc.). Eastern christians believe that the image of Christ was the result of divine providence. Roman Catholics, Anglicans, and Lutherans have tended to accept this image as traditional, as well.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As a Lutheran, I see nothing wrong with this practice. I have a crucifix hanging in my room and pray in front of it all the time. I also have icons and statues.

The images of Jesus are all remarkably similar in their characteristics. A semitic face, a beard, long hair. Some time in the ancient Church, they were standardized around the common form, whereas previously Christ was sometimes depicted as the Greek god Apollo (short, curly hair, youthful appearance, etc.). Eastern christians believe that the image of Christ was the result of divine providence. Roman Catholics, Anglicans, and Lutherans have tended to accept this image as traditional, as well.
I think there even is a quote from the first or second century saying that they had seen a depiction of Jesus commissioned by the woman who Jesus healed when she touched His hem. Interesting possibility!

ETA: Eusebius stated the following ~300AD :— " But, as we have mentioned this city, I do not think it right to pass by a narrative that deserves to be recorded for posterity. They say, that the woman who had an issue of blood, mentioned by the Evangelists, and who obtained deliverance from her affliction by our Savior, was a native of this place, and that her house is shown in the city, and the wonderful monuments of our Savior's benefit to her are still remaining. At the gates of her house, on an elevated stone, stands a brazen image of a woman on her bended knee, with her hands stretched out before her, like one entreating. Opposite to this there is another image of a man erect, of the same materials, decently clad in a mantle, and stretching out his hand to the woman. Before her feet, and on the same pedestal, there is a certain strange plant growing, which, rising as high as the hem of the brazen garment, is a kind of antidote to all kinds of diseases. This figure, they say, is a statue of Jesus Christ, and it has remained even until our times, so that we ourselves saw it whilst tarrying in that city."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let me clarify what I meant. I maintain that we do not worship the icons nor do we pray to the icons. That said, we definitely have icons, and we even venerate them (not for the wood and paint, but for the subject of the icon). Any prayer in front of the icon is not prayer to the icon itself but to the subject of the icon. It is an important clarification. The image on the icon is a prototype, as it points us to the original. An icon of Christ points us not to the paint and wood, but to our Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

I don't want to pull this off track, but I also don't want to mislead you. I'll reiterate though - we don't worship or pray to the icon, but rather worship and pray to Jesus Christ Himself who is depicted in the icon.
I agree icons are fine I just have an issue when people depend on them is all. I feel it's fine to pray around a picture of Jesus or an icon I was just telling this guy not to make the mistake of depending on it or feeeling he can only pray around it, some make this mistake when the Bible tells us to pray always. We must always have our mind on god! We can't limit it to a church building or object is all I was saying appreciate the clarification

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree icons are fine I just have an issue when people depend on them is all. I feel it's fine to pray around a picture of Jesus or an icon I was just telling this guy not to make the mistake of depending on it or feeeling he can only pray around it, some make this mistake.
I certainly agree that we should always pray to God, not just when an icon is around :)

Pray ceaselessly, everywhere, all the time!

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

YjSe7v
Now tbh the only portirait I would say no to though is the black Jesus one (I'm black so not being racist). I feel it shouldn't matter what color Jesus was on earth and if we focus to much on the flesh that can cause problems. Ik people who have these pictures and go to churches that have them and man... the black pride is crazy like they don't even support interracial marriages I'm like man. But Idk I'm just speaking off expeince up to you man and god bless.

Upvote 0