Can I confess my sins directly to Jesus or must I see a Pastor first ?

Jan 27, 2016
Longview, TX
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jas 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

It clearly says to confess your faults one to another, not sins. It never said confess your sins one to another.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jas 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

It clearly says to confess your faults one to another, not sins. It never said confess your sins one to another.

ESV: Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

Then there are the majority of translations. Of course, there is another thread to deal with opinions on how one feels about the KJV. Not here. So for the sake of the specific issue, the verse does say, "confess your sins".

This reminds me of another verse, which when I used to belong to a church before the NIV came along, the pastor would explain words, such as "faults" to mean sin. Just like "Thou shalt not kill" was an incorrect term for "kill" today.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Its absolutely a good thing to confess to others your sins. Confessing to a pastor, maybe not even your own pastor if you are concerned about judgementalism. Other denominations do this and there is nothing wrong with it, considering Scripture literally say to do such.

Upvote 0