Can God See Past Our Choices?

windbreeze

Dec 6, 2011
✟7,645.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is very interesting to know. When God created us, was he aware of what will come and knew destiny? Did he know about wrong choices Adam and Eve will make? About humanity advancement? About end of the world?

I am not associating anything here with movies, but to make my point, in "The Matrix" movie, Oracle could not see past Neo's choices.

What human being would want to know his destiny? If you knew everything in your destiny, would you want to live or not?

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
windbreeze said:
This is very interesting to know. When God created us, was he aware of what will come and knew destiny? Did he know about wrong choices Adam and Eve will make? About humanity advancement? About end of the world?

I am not associating anything here with movies, but to make my point, in "The Matrix" movie, Oracle could not see past Neo's choices.

What human being would want to know his destiny? If you knew everything in your destiny, would you want to live or not?

Yes, G*d can see past our choices. Before the universe was made, G*d knows what will happen. Just like before the universe was made, G*d is.

Never saw it, and I'm pretty sure a movie doesn't reflect real life...unless they say "based on a true story." Which I'm sure matrix wasn't?

I think everyone should know at least his final destination (absolutely nothing to do with the horror movie series). If G*d told you how to be with Him forever, and you are doing everything incorrect, wouldn't you want to know?

If you were implying G*d was a man, well He isn't, never was one, and never will be a man.

Upvote 0

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens

God is in control of everything, so it makes sense that He knows what will happen.

Some Christians believe that God has already created our path in life. So He knows what we will do and when we will do it. Although, we have been given free will - so we can leave that path, and follow our own desires rather than God's. He will not force us to do what He would like, but He offers it to us.

If we choose Him, He can see path the choices we have made in life.

Sometimes I think I would like to know. It would, in some cases, make life easier. It totally depends on what life can bring us - people will almost always want to know the good to come, but not the bad.

Upvote 0

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, God is aware of and active in His eternity that encompasses the past, present, and future. My understanding of his foreknowledge concerning the biblical reference is a "prescient" foreknowledge where God has knowledge of our choices.There are differing opinions but I think this definition works well in soteriology and eschatology.

Jeffery J. Niehaus, professor of Old Testament at Gorden-Conwell, wrote an article entitled "Covenant and Narrative. God and Time". In this article he says God is in eternity already enjoying the presence of believers. This means that while I am still under the rules of time and not yet dead, in God's eternity I have died, resurrected, and been accepted into His eternal kingdom. I find this fascinating and encouraging.

God does see past our choices and I believe this is how predestination works. He sees our choices, whether or not we will accept the Gospel, and calls those who He knows will choose to accept the Gospel. Again, there are other opinions, but this is how I understand the process.

The only way for Neo to know past the choices is to be a resident of eternity and only God can be that resident. Eternity is not something a human can know or test since for us it is conceptual. There are some mathematical statements that bring into focus the futility of trying to comprehend how residing and working in eternity works.

What human being would want to know his destiny?

I would not want to know the future events in this brief life on earth. I do know the future concerning my abode in eternity and so does every other follower of Christ.

If you knew everything in your destiny, would you want to live or not?
I think it may make life on earth more stressful if I knew my destiny and I also think the choices I would make would rely on what I know as opposed to what God knows. This would severely reduce or eliminate my reliance on God which is what I am, as a Christian, called to do.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When God created us, was he aware of what will come and knew destiny? Did he know about wrong choices Adam and Eve will make? About humanity advancement? About end of the world?

I suspect I am just one more voice in the chorus of "yes." I'll try to give some more perspective, but hopefully I'm not the first to point out Scripture tells us that in G-d's mind, Christ was sacrificed before the foundation of the world was laid.

There are some sayings along these lines, among them is "God is never late and seldom early." ^_^ At many times I have noticed that if had known where God was leading me, I would NOT have gone! He tends to show us 1 step at a time, and I think this may help explain why ...

Upvote 0

windbreeze

Dec 6, 2011
✟7,645.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, G*d can see past our choices. Before the universe was made, G*d knows what will happen. Just like before the universe was made, G*d is.

Never saw it, and I'm pretty sure a movie doesn't reflect real life...unless they say "based on a true story." Which I'm sure matrix wasn't?

Then if God knew that Adam and Eve would make wrong choice, why he was hoping they would make the right choice? Why he gave him ability to choose if he knew they would make wrong decision? How you can change something that is written, that is meant to be, or is impossible to change?

By the way, i have noticed you don't spell word "God" fully. Why?

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then if God knew that Adam and Eve would make wrong choice, why he was hoping they would make the right choice? Why he gave him ability to choose if he knew they would make wrong decision? How you can change something that is written, that is meant to be, or is impossible to change?
Actually, if it were up to His power alone, Adam would have said no to Eve's offer, and Eve would have said NO to the serpent's lie of "G*d is holding from you a greater pleasure and you will be like Him." And if it were completely up to His power and knowledge alone, the serpent wouldn't have tempted Eve and through her, Adam in any way as far as we know, and from there we have no idea what life would be like. But because of G*d's pure love for us all, He allowed our first ancestors to choose to obey or not. Because of this, He shows that He allows us to choose out own fate. Because of this, we know we can choose to believe in Jesus or not, and whether or not we will repent.

The truth is that even though we did obey, G*d's ultimate plan is not for us to obey Him, but to sincerely Him. Out of our own hearts are we to obey and love Him. This is what He wants. And because our sins evoke G*d's wrath, we would be separated from Him forever. Our souls would be devoid of love, justice, and peace. Because He wants what's best for us (the ultimate love and presence of Himself), He died on the cross and became sin so that G*d's wrath could be fulfilled on Jesus, and His pure blood could be our sacrifice so that we may be made pure. All because of His love for us. t'wasn't easy, but He showed us He would do anything so we could have fellowship with G*d, so we could be counted as "friends of God," as Abraham was.

To tell apart my God, my Savior, the Living God, from the concept of Him proposed by atheists and others (strawman gods and such).

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

First: The way God “knows” the “our” future could be by God of the future sending information on our free will moral decisions back through a wormhole type system to the God of the our past.

Just because God knows Adam and Eve free choice to sin (that really does not take much in the way of foreknowledge) that is not the “big problem”.

Think about this:

Would you prefer to be in a place where your eternal close relationship with God was dependent on your personal ability to keep from disobeying God (the Garden situation)or in a place where your eternal close relationship with God was dependent on your accepting God’s charity (where we are today)?

Sin is not the problem and has purpose.

Upvote 0

elopez

Oct 11, 2010
Lansing, MI
✟18,206.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I believe that God has exhaustive knowledge of the future before it takes place. Said differently, God knows everything there is to be known from eternity or prior to creation.

I am still not sure of your point, what is it exactly? Here you say you're not associating anything with The Matrix, but if you're not then again what is the point? God sees and knows all, but with Oracle he could not, so the two don't really compare which is why I don't really see any point here at all.

Luckily God does not reveal to us everything He foreknows, especially in regards to our personal life. I would agree that it would make life rather dull but even if it were to happen I don't think I would wish to cease to exist.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear windbreeze. God is all - powerfull and knows all. God is also Love, and God made Man in His image. We are on Earth to learn to become as God wants us to be: loving children/sons and daughters, of our Loving Heavenly Father. Jesus gave us two Commandments: 1)Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. 2) Love our neighbour as ourselves. We have years to become better and better, Jesus will give is His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will give us His Love, also. Jesus told us to " ask and ye will be given," and then we thank God, and share all with our neighbour. ( all around us, friends and not friends) God will see our sincere efforts, and God will approve and bless us. God will also know, that we love God. How?? We are following God`s Commandments to love and to care.
Love is very catching, and Love will also change us into the men and women, which God wants to live with for eternity. " Whosoever will may come," is God`s invitation to all who follow Jesus our Saviour, back to God, where we came from. I say this with love, windbreeze. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ. P.S. Whatever we say, or do, should be from love, freely given and no conditions asked. That may not be easy, but it can be done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is very interesting to know. When God created us, was he aware of what will come and knew destiny?
"destiny" is a term that assumes than an individual is bound by the constraints of time. God is not a fortune teller making predictions on coming events. His presents is larger than the bounds of time. That why we can say He is infinite, That He has no beginning or no end, even though time does.

Did he know about wrong choices Adam and Eve will make?
Yes, Because From his perspective Adam had already made them. (That is what is meant by being beyond the bounds of time. One would not be constrained by the current time line)

About humanity advancement?
Yes

About end of the world?
He took John of Patmos to the point in time when those events took place, and what John recorded is known as the book of Revelations.

Because in that movie the "oracle" was a fortune teller. Again God is not a fortune teller.

What human being would want to know his destiny?
One afraid to make choices or more over one afraid of (negative) consequences.

If you knew everything in your destiny, would you want to live or not?
I will live the life I have been given till it is required that i return it.

Upvote 0