Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My son asked a question can God create something he himself does not know about. I said yes. But my son didn't understand even though I tried to explain then God showed me. I said look at it this way God is eternal which means He can never die, yet He created a situation in which He came and died for Mankind and then took His life up again. I said God can not die, yet He did.

We could go further with this No one has power above God, yet God came and allowed people to have power over Him even to death. But maybe you think no one did, but Jesus said to Pilot you would not have authority over me if it was not given to you from above. So no one is above God yet He allowed people to be above Him.

Part of being saved is you must believe that Jesus is God, to do so you must also believe Jesus is eternal. So you must believe God died and took his life up again to be saved. Yet God can not die, yet He did.

God can do anything, He is all powerful, and the only way to believe God is all powerful is to believe as a child that there is nothing God can not do.

Some have accused me of blaspheme to say this next part, but it's not. They say God can not sin. I said no actually God can sin it just He find it so disgusting He could never bring Himself to do it. It is like I could never bring my self to eat food off the ground. It is not it is not in my power it is just i could never bring myself to do it. Dr. Ed Hindson and Dr. Elmer Towns also agree with this. As do many in ministry. Ed holds 7 advanced degree in Biblical study and has translated bibles on the panel of the ESV translation i believe it was. Towns holds at least a Dr. and has worked in ministry since the 60's. Both have wrote several books which are used as text books in bible college across the country. I gave them as reference as to the blaspheme accusation that people have accused me of. Remember the people who say such things have no formal biblical training just their Bible and Google, i am sorry but these guys are elders in the church and God says to yield to the elders in the church. So the person with the accusation sins while accusing me of sinning.

God tells us to believe as a child that only then will we see and understand Heaven.
Mathew 18:3 2 Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them.3 Then he said, “I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven.4 So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.

That means believing as a child also. So when God says all things are possible with Him you believe it. When God says He is all powerful, you Believe that nothing is out of His power.

As for me I believe God can do anything.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There's "cannot" vs "never will." I agree, Blue...God can do anything, be He never will go against His own nature (that is to say that He would sin). God even says in Scripture that He chooses to forget. How strange!

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My son asked a question can God create something he himself does not know about. I said yes.

Then God would not know everything, right? Most people consider God the summation of forms, that within God are all potential things which could exist even if they do not.

But my son didn't understand even though I tried to explain then God showed me. I said look at it this way God is eternal which means He can never die, yet He created a situation in which He came and died for Mankind and then took His life up again. I said God can not die, yet He did.

God in His humanity died, but God Himself did not die. God raised Himself (that is, His humanity) from the dead. Where are you getting that His divinity died too?

We could go further with this No one has power above God, yet God came and allowed people to have power over Him even to death. But maybe you think no one did, but Jesus said to Pilot you would not have authority over me if it was not given to you from above. So no one is above God yet He allowed people to be above Him.

Jesus allowed Pilate to kill him, but God was in control of the situation the entire time, was He not? What occurred appears to be the will of God through the free will of men.

Part of being saved is you must believe that Jesus is God, to do so you must also believe Jesus is eternal. So you must believe God died and took his life up again to be saved. Yet God can not die, yet He did.

Most theologians would disagree with that. Jesus died in His humanity, not in His divinity.

God can do anything, He is all powerful, and the only way to believe God is all powerful is to believe as a child that there is nothing God can not do.

I don't think God can be evil, or go against His goodness. I believe that God is love and therefore cannot be unloving.

Some have accused me of blaspheme to say this next part, but it's not. They say God can not sin. I said no actually God can sin it just He find it so disgusting He could never bring Himself to do it. It is like I could never bring my self to eat food off the ground. It is not it is not in my power it is just i could never bring myself to do it. Dr. Ed Hindson and Dr. Elmer Towns also agree with this. As do many in ministry. Ed holds 7 advanced degree in Biblical study and has translated bibles on the panel of the ESV translation i believe it was. Towns holds at least a Dr. and has worked in ministry since the 60's. Both have wrote several books which are used as text books in bible college across the country. I gave them as reference as to the blaspheme accusation that people have accused me of. Remember the people who say such things have no formal biblical training just their Bible and Google, i am sorry but these guys are elders in the church and God says to yield to the elders in the church. So the person with the accusation sins while accusing me of sinning.[/quote

You'll find plenty of people that disagree them them. The subscribe to the belief of Volunteerism - that God can do anything, rather than God can do anything that is not contrary to their nature.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There's "cannot" vs "never will." I agree, Blue...God can do anything, be He never will go against His own nature (that is to say that He would sin). God even says in Scripture that He chooses to forget. How strange!

You're right there are some things God will never do such as sin. I think it is import to point out that God will not do something as an act of will and not because it is beyond his power. That is all I am saying.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Then God would not know everything, right? Most people consider God the summation of forms, that within God are all potential things which could exist even if they do not.

God in His humanity died, but God Himself did not die. God raised Himself (that is, His humanity) from the dead. Where are you getting that His divinity died too?

Jesus allowed Pilate to kill him, but God was in control of the situation the entire time, was He not? What occurred appears to be the will of God through the free will of men.

Most theologians would disagree with that. Jesus died in His humanity, not in His divinity.

I don't think God can be evil, or go against His goodness. I believe that God is love and therefore cannot be unloving.

To say because Jesus did not die the second death he did not die is not what you need to believe to be saved. It is a matter of salvation In fact yes Jesus did die, you can try to spin that any way you want but He died. What you are comparing is not existing any more. If I die i still die, death is death and you must believe Jesus died and came back to life to be saved. This is what The Gospel teach, not me but the Bible.

Pilot had authority over Jesus, Jesus said it and said it was given by above.

I think i am going to stop there because nothing you said changes anything I said.

So you don't think God can do anything ok thanks, But you have a problem with God being all powerful then. can not say something is beyond God's power, yet He is all powerful. 98 got it.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God cannot die. God cannot learn. God cannot create another God, for then He would no longer be God. God cannot act contrary to His nature. God cannot command a conscious being to act contrary to its nature which it inherited from God.

God did die...on the Cross!

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You're right there are some things God will never do such as sin. I think it is import to point out that God will not do something as an act of will and not because it is beyond his power. That is all I am saying.

Amen.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm no theologian, by a long shot, but I've always understood sin to be anything which is against the will of God. God does as he wills, because there is no higher power compelling him to do that which he would not do. Therefore sin, by definition, is that which God would never choose to do. The only way God would choose to do it is if he changed how he felt about it, but God is unchanging. It's a logical impossibility for God to sin. If he does it, then it isn't sin. If it's sin, then he won't do it. There's no higher power holding him to this commitment, so can't and won't mean the same thing in this context.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Can't implies inability...which contradicts God's Omnipotence. We're just trying to correlate the two, so we much always use "won't" or "will never" when understanding attributes of Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm no theologian, by a long shot, but I've always understood sin to be anything which is against the will of God. God does as he wills, because there is no higher power compelling him to do that which he would not do. Therefore sin, by definition, is that which God would never choose to do. The only way God would choose to do it is if he changed how he felt about it, but God is unchanging. It's a logical impossibility for God to sin. If he does it, then it isn't sin. If it's sin, then he won't do it. There's no higher power holding him to this commitment, so can't and won't mean the same thing in this context.

sin literally translated means to miss the mark could God create a situation where he fell short of his own standard, sure, He created a sistuation in which he died, yet God can not die. But God did die. As 98 said can't says He is unable, won't says He is able but refuses, can't has a problem with the all powerful part of God.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God did die...on the Cross!
We need to be careful regarding these matters, since there are many today who attack Bible Christianity. So it was really the God-Man Christ Jesus who died on the Cross. Without His humanity it would have been impossible.

As to "God can do anything" that blanket statement should be qualified thus: GOD CAN DO ANYTHING THAT IS NOT CONTRARY TO HIS NATURE AND CHARACTER.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
sin literally translated means to miss the mark could God create a situation where he fell short of his own standard, sure, He created a sistuation in which he died, yet God can not die. But God did die. As 98 said can't says He is unable, won't says He is able but refuses, can't has a problem with the all powerful part of God.

More precisely, the original translation means to miss the mark of God's holy standard of righteousness. The standard is God's, and the standard is God. Like I said, the standard does not stand apart from and above God. Nothing is above God, not even his standard of righteousness. He's not conforming to a standard. He is the standard. Therefore, the question as to whether God is capable of transgressing his own standard is logically fallacious, because it asks the question as to whether God can cease to be himself.

Is God God? Yes. Is God always God? Yes. Is God capable of not being God? No.

The problem is one of deductive fallacy, or putting ourselves in God's shoes, judging his situation from a human standpoint. We view ourselves as subject to a higher law, one which we are required to adhere to. There is no law higher than God. His situation is not like ours. If we violate the laws of God, then we are subject to the due consequence. If God violates the law, then the law simply did not exist, apart from our own imaginations. I don't say that God cannot sin because there is some irresistible force compelling him to not sin. Rather, I say that God cannot sin, because the idea is logically fallacious. The idea of a sinning God is nonsense, being a self-contradictory use of terms.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We need to be careful regarding these matters, since there are many today who attack Bible Christianity. So it was really the God-Man Christ Jesus who died on the Cross. Without His humanity it would have been impossible.

As to "God can do anything" that blanket statement should be qualified thus: GOD CAN DO ANYTHING THAT IS NOT CONTRARY TO HIS NATURE AND CHARACTER.

Is it because of His inability or because of His unwillingness?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
Can't implies inability...which contradicts God's Omnipotence. We're just trying to correlate the two, so we much always use "won't" or "will never" when understanding attributes of Him.
It's not that God cannot lie because He chooses not to. It's that He cannot lie because He's the truth. This goes to His nature, not His ability.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
More precisely, the original translation means to miss the mark of God's holy standard of righteousness. The standard is God's, and the standard is God. Like I said, the standard does not stand apart from and above God. Nothing is above God, not even his standard of righteousness. He's not conforming to a standard. He is the standard. Therefore, the question as to whether God is capable of transgressing his own standard is logically fallacious, because it asks the question as to whether God can cease to be himself.

Is God God? Yes. Is God always God? Yes. Is God capable of not being God? No.

The problem is one of deductive fallacy, or putting ourselves in God's shoes, judging his situation from a human standpoint. We view ourselves as subject to a higher law, one which we are required to adhere to. There is no law higher than God. His situation is not like ours. If we violate the laws of God, then we are subject to the due consequence. If God violates the law, then the law simply did not exist, apart from our own imaginations. I don't say that God cannot sin because there is some irresistible force compelling him to not sin. Rather, I say that God cannot sin, because the idea is logically fallacious. The idea of a sinning God is nonsense, being a self-contradictory use of terms.

Sorry but it is not a logical argument fallacy because you say something is illogical does not make it fallacy that is not what they are.

You said it is not logical that God not be God yet God became flesh and was a man, while He was God He was man. It is not logical to say an eternal God could die, yet God created a sistuation in which He did die. I like how you ignored that point I made completely.

Sorry the word sin does not mean all that you said. It as I said Literally translated means to miss the mark. The mark is the standard set by God which would be the Law. God was tempted to sin He could have missed the mark or really the cross is an act with no real danger. So there is a case where God could have missed his own mark. Also to say God could sin is not illogical it says it goes against His nature. You seem a bit confused with the terms you used?

Here, wikipedia is not a reliable source.

Logical Fallacies
An Encyclopedia of Errors of Reasoning
The ability to identify logical fallacies in the arguments of others, and to avoid them in one’s own arguments, is both valuable and increasingly rare. Fallacious reasoning keeps us from knowing the truth, and the inability to think critically makes us vulnerable to manipulation by those skilled in the art of rhetoric.
What is a Logical Fallacy?
A logical fallacy is, roughly speaking, an error of reasoning. When someone adopts a position, or tries to persuade someone else to adopt a position, based on a bad piece of reasoning, they commit a fallacy. I say “roughly speaking” because this definition has a few problems, the most important of which are outlined below. Some logical fallacies are more common than others, and so have been named and defined. When people speak of logical fallacies they often mean to refer to this collection of well-known errors of reasoning, rather than to fallacies in the broader, more technical sense given above.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
To say because Jesus did not die the second death he did not die is not what you need to believe to be saved. It is a matter of salvation In fact yes Jesus did die, you can try to spin that any way you want but He died.

There is a difference between saying Jesus died in His humanity, which humans can be killed, and saying God died. God cannot be killed. God can die in His humanity. Jesus died, but His humanity died, not His divinity.

What you are comparing is not existing any more. If I die i still die, death is death and you must believe Jesus died and came back to life to be saved. This is what The Gospel teach, not me but the Bible.

Jesus was resurrected, meaning His body came back to life. God was not resurrected because God cannot be resurrected. God was only resurrected in that His humanity was resurrected.

Pilot had authority over Jesus, Jesus said it and said it was given by above.

Then Pilates will was done, not God's. God was the ultimate authority.

So you don't think God can do anything ok thanks, But you have a problem with God being all powerful then. can not say something is beyond God's power, yet He is all powerful. 98 got it.

No, I said God cannot do anything against His nature, that is, evil. God would cease to be God. He would be a contradiction.

Upvote 0