USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There is no difference FG2. Hope is hope. It has the same meaning today as it did in the early church. Hope IS ALWAYS FUTURE!
Again, you've shown how much you've missed the difference between biblical hope and how we generally use the word today.

We are saved by hope.
What verse makes this claim?

I'll show what the Bible says about how we are saved:
"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;" Eph 2:8

It is by grace that we are saved through faith. Not "hope".

I have a very solid confident expectation of being in heaven when I die.

Do you have a solid confident expectation of being in heaven when you die, or are you wishing that you'll be in heaven when you die?

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again, you've shown how much you've missed the difference between biblical hope and how we generally use the word today.

It's the same word with the same meaning.

What verse makes this claim?

It's from your favorite chapter.

Romans 8
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

You should be waiting for salvation with patience.

I'll show what the Bible says about how we are saved:
"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;" Eph 2:8

It is by grace that we are saved through faith. Not "hope".

I have a very solid confident expectation of being in heaven when I die.

Do you have a solid confident expectation of being in heaven when you die, or are you wishing that you'll be in heaven when you die?

What is faith? Do you not know faith is hope also?

I have a confident expectation for everything Jesus told us.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
I love this but hope here is not hope as in might not get saved,

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1680&t=KJV

Hope here means, expectation of good, in the Christian sense, joyful and confident expectation of eternal salvation
So we are not hoping we are saved because we believe and wondering if we are not, like we were not good enough, cause frankly you are not good enough.
Such a thought is contrary to the gospel. We hope with an expectation of eternal salvation obtaining the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ, and that hope does not disappoint.

Romans 5New King James Version (NKJV)
Faith Triumphs in Trouble
1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

2 Thessalonians 2:13-15New King James Version (NKJV)
Stand Fast
13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth, 14 to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I said this:
"Again, you've shown how much you've missed the difference between biblical hope and how we generally use the word today."
It's the same word with the same meaning.
Not at all. There is a HUGE difference between wishful thinking and a confident expectation.

Or, to put it another way:
Biblical hope is this: I KNOW so.
Today's hope is this: I hope so.

Those are not the same. Not even close.

You should be waiting for salvation with patience.
Wrong tense. I already am.

What is faith? Do you not know faith is hope also?
In the biblical sense, yes. Not in today's usage of the word 'hope'.

I have a confident expectation for everything Jesus told us.
Right.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I love this but hope here is not hope as in might not get saved,

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1680&t=KJV

Hope here means, expectation of good, in the Christian sense, joyful and confident expectation of eternal salvation
So we are not hoping we are saved because we believe and wondering if we are not, like we were not good enough, cause frankly you are not good enough.
Such a thought is contrary to the gospel. We hope with an expectation of eternal salvation obtaining the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ, and that hope does not disappoint.
In other words, we have a confident expectation in what God has promised.

Which leads to the problem of those who believe that salvation can be lost for a variety of reasons. That is not a confident expectation in what God has promised. That's more of a "hope so" salvation than a "know so" salvation.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
In other words, we have a confident expectation in what God has promised.

Which leads to the problem of those who believe that salvation can be lost for a variety of reasons. That is not a confident expectation in what God has promised. That's more of a "hope so" salvation than a "know so" salvation.

That is right, for who hopes for what he has.
This hope does not disappoint. Paul tells us we can feel it on the inside, experience God's love.
it is the same idea as our spirit bearing witness with His spirit that we are the children of God and if children then heirs. And all persons who desire to live a godly life in Christ shall see persecutions and in the age to come eternal life.

Romans 5
5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Romans 8
16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

Mark 10:29-31New King James Version (NKJV)
29 So Jesus answered and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My sake and the gospel’s, 30 who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions—and in the age to come, eternal life. 31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”

We have so many comforting words about our eternal salvation, from Christ and the apostles, why people resist Him, makes me wonder, see if you have no assurance in your heart on the inside, maybe you are really not trusting in Christ's righteousness to save you but your own good works, and that is a very bad place to find oneself.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
If we truly have free will and I believe that we do, then we can accept Jesus at some point, but then later reject Him and either convert to Judaism or Islam or Buddhism or Atheism, etc. If we have free will, then we are not puppets on a string.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
If we truly have free will and I believe that we do, then we can accept Jesus at some point, but then later reject Him and either convert to Judaism or Islam or Buddhism or Atheism, etc. If we have free will, then we are not puppets on a string.

That's what Hebrews 6:4-6 (ESV) teaches. However, there is a serious consequence for those who commit apostasy. 'It is impossible ... to restore them again to repentance'. You can read a sad example of this in what happened to a former colleague of Billy Graham, Chuck Templeton.

If you don’t agree that salvation can be lost, take a read of Charles Templeton’s, Farewell to God (1996. Toronto, Ontario: McClelland & Stewart).

+-+069916602_140.jpg

(Courtesy Worldcat)

Oz

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That's what Hebrews 6:4-6 (ESV) teaches. However, there is a serious consequence for those who commit apostasy. 'It is impossible ... to restore them again to repentance'. You can read a sad example of this in what happened to a former colleague of Billy Graham, Chuck Templeton.
One must 'assume' to equate being restored to repentance to being restored to salvation.

Jesus promised that those He gives eternal life will never perish in John 10:28. And Paul taught that the gifts of God are irrevocable in Rom 11:29. After describing eternal life as a gift of God in Rom 6:23. And between those 2 verses, he never used the word 'gift'. So the context for 11:29 must include 6:23.

If you don’t agree that salvation can be lost, take a read of Charles Templeton’s, Farewell to God (1996. Toronto, Ontario: McClelland & Stewart).

+-+069916602_140.jpg

(Courtesy Worldcat)

Oz
How would anything he wrote prove that one can lose salvation? btw, he was more than a colleague of Billy Graham. He was Graham's mentor when Billy entered the ministry. They roomed together during crusades through Europe back in the late 40's.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
One must 'assume' to equate being restored to repentance to being restored to salvation.

Jesus promised that those He gives eternal life will never perish in John 10:28. And Paul taught that the gifts of God are irrevocable in Rom 11:29. After describing eternal life as a gift of God in Rom 6:23. And between those 2 verses, he never used the word 'gift'. So the context for 11:29 must include 6:23.

How would anything he wrote prove that one can lose salvation? btw, he was more than a colleague of Billy Graham. He was Graham's mentor when Billy entered the ministry. They roomed together during crusades through Europe back in the late 40's.

FreeGrace2,

You and I have been round and round this topic a few times over the years. We should not have to do it again, but for the sake of others who read this thread, I'll present the exegesis one more time.

You cite John 10:28 in isolation from the rest of John’s Gospel. It is true that ‘I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand…. no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand’ (emphasis added).

BUT this is what can happen. Take a read of John 15:6. This is in the context of being in the vine – God’s vine – and Jesus being the true vine and God the Father being the vinedresser (John 15:1). This is what John 15:6 states, ‘If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned’ (ESV).

The gracious power of God is comprehensively sufficient to protect every born-again Christian believer forever and ever amen. But a believer can in the end be lost, because salvation is conditional. None of our enemies will be able to snatch us out of the Father’s/Jesus’ hands.

BUT … BUT, any Christians can turn from Jesus, enter into disbelief, commit apostasy and perish by wilful acts of their own. That’s what John 15:6 teaches.

Therefore, John 10:28-29 is not an absolute that guarantees once-saved-always-saved (which, by the way, is not biblical language; neither is it biblical theology – in my view). Eternal life is granted to those who continue to believe. We know this from verses in John such as John 3:36; 6:47. Let's look at those verses:

‘Whoever believes [Gk present tense – continues believing] in the Son has [Gk present tense – continues to have] eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him’ (John 3:36 ESV).

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes [Gk present tense – continues to believe] has [Gk present tense – continues to have] eternal life (John 6:47 ESV).

Thus, eternal life only continues as long as a person continues to believe. He or she can commit apostasy by not continuing to believe in Christ for eternal life and repudiating belief in Jesus.

I know people for whom this has happened and is continuing to happen – apostasy – and they were once vibrant Christians.

John 10:28 cannot be read in isolation apart from John 3:36; 6:47 and 15:6.

Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

randomvim

Sep 28, 2016
US
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it possible for a believer to go to hell? What happens after death to those that did alot of sins but where believers?
Yes. a person may turn their back to God despite believing in Him. I would think it possible for that person to die in a state of mortal sin in which they may choose to turn their back on God after death.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Yes. a person may turn their back to God despite believing in Him. I would think it possible for that person to die in a state of mortal sin in which they may choose to turn their back on God after death.

That's not what Scripture affirms: 'Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment' (Heb 9:27 NIV).

There's no second chance after death.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FreeGrace2,

You and I have been round and round this topic a few times over the years. We should not have to do it again, but for the sake of others who read this thread, I'll present the exegesis one more time.

You cite John 10:28 in isolation from the rest of John’s Gospel.
Absolutely not true. Jesus taught in John 5:24 WHEN one HAS eternal life; when they believe. That's when they have it. So when Jesus says in 10:28 that "I give THEM eternal life", He means those who have believed. And the promise for those He gives eternal life is that they WILL NEVER PERISH.

That is a direct promise of eternal security. There's no other way to slice it.

It is true that ‘I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand…. no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand’ (emphasis added).
Which makes this a promise of eternal security, and in total harmony with Paul's teaching that eternal life is a gift of God from Rom 6:23 and that the gifts of God are irrevocable in Rom 11:29. Therefore, eternal life is irrevocable.

BUT this is what can happen. Take a read of John 15:6. This is in the context of being in the vine – God’s vine – and Jesus being the true vine and God the Father being the vinedresser (John 15:1). This is what John 15:6 states, ‘If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned’ (ESV).
First, this is a farming metaphor. If your view were correct, then Jesus was teaching that we have the power or ability to separate ourselves from the sealing ministry of the Holy Spirit (Eph 1;13,14, 4:30). But we don't. No where in Scripture do we read that we can get rid of the indwelling Holy Spirit, or break that seal. Only assumption can lead to such a conclusion.

Second, the issue of "abiding" is not about relationship, which your view demands. But rather, it is about fellowship, which it seems your view has no place for. Yet we find the word "fellowship" 14 times in the NT of the KJV. It is very important. So important, that Jesus gave a parable on the subject; the prodigal son. Throughout the parable, the son always remained the son, even when he decided to demote himself to 'servant' and the father always remained the father.

What "died" in that parable was fellowship, not relationship.

The gracious power of God is comprehensively sufficient to protect every born-again Christian believer forever and ever amen. But a believer can in the end be lost, because salvation is conditional.
It's conditioned on an act of faith, not a life-long continuation of faith. Just consider all the passages where believers are encouraged and commanded to stay "in the faith". In NONE of those passages do we find any warning that if we don't, we'll lose salvation.

None of our enemies will be able to snatch us out of the Father’s/Jesus’ hands.
Actually, what Jesus said goes much farther than just enemies. His use of "no one" really means "no person". And I'm sure all believers do consider themselves persons. So Jesus was actually teaching that even believers cannot remove themselves out of the Father's hand.

BUT … BUT, any Christians can turn from Jesus, enter into disbelief, commit apostasy and perish by wilful acts of their own. That’s what John 15:6 teaches.
There are NO verses that teach that apostasy will result in loss of salvation.

Therefore, John 10:28-29 is not an absolute that guarantees once-saved-always-saved.
Yes it is. For the reasons just noted.

Eternal life is granted to those who continue to believe.
Are you aware of the verses that use the aorist tense for 'believe' in relation to being saved? Paul used the aorist tense in Acts 16:31 and in Rom 10:9.

And Jesus used the aorist tense in Luke 8:12 in reference to the first soil in the phrase "lest they believe and be saved".

Yet, in the very next verse, He used the present tense of 'believe' but added "for a while". How would one explain that?

Here's the bottom line: if your claim were correct, Jesus would have switched tenses; He would have used the present tense in v.12 and the aorist tense in v.13.

Thus, eternal life only continues as long as a person continues to believe.
Nope. The aorist tense refutes that claim.

And eternal life is a gift of God, and the gifts of God are irrevocable.

He or she can commit apostasy by not continuing to believe in Christ for eternal life and repudiating belief in Jesus.
No argument.

I know people for whom this has happened and is continuing to happen – apostasy – and they were once vibrant Christians.
Yes. Charles Templeton, the mentor of a young Billy Graham just entering the ministry was one.

Upvote 0

randomvim

Sep 28, 2016
US
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's not what Scripture affirms: 'Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment' (Heb 9:27 NIV).

There's no second chance after death.
Im talking about judgement. after death is judgement. in which a person's heart may be so cold it rejects God.

Upvote 0