Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are born again of incorruptible seed. So a person who is BORN OF GOD is going to be living in the family of God with Him in heaven.
That is the gospel that was preached to you.

God accomplished our obedience through the power of His Spirit at work in us.

1 Peter 1
The Enduring Word

22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, 24 because

“All flesh is as grass,
And all the glory of man as the flower of the grass.
The grass withers,
And its flower falls away,
25 But the word of the Lord endures forever.”

Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you.

God has caused us to be begotten again and only according to HIS abundant mercy.

A Heavenly Inheritance
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

When is salvation to be revealed? That's right, we are saved by hope (future tense).

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That "hope" is The Holy Spirit in us.

It matters not what the hope is; hope is always future.

Romans 8:24
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

If a man has seen salvation, then he no longer is saved by hope.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
When is salvation to be revealed? That's right, we are saved by hope (future tense).
Then what do you do with Jesus' words in John 5:24?
“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, HAS eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

The phrase 'has eternal life' is in the present tense.

And there are many such verses that indicate that we have salvation when we believe.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It matters not what the hope is; hope is always future.

Romans 8:24
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

If a man has seen salvation, then he no longer is saved by hope.
All this completely misses the actual meaning of the word translated 'hope'.

The Greek word is NOT how we today use the word. Today, we use 'hope' in a "wishful thinking" kind of way. But not so with the ancient Greeks.

The word 'hope' found in Rom 8:24 is the same word in Heb 11:1 - Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

elpis
Thayer Definition:
1) expectation of evil, fear
2) expectation of good, hope
2a) in the Christian sense
2a1) joyful and confident expectation of eternal salvation
3) on hope, in hope, having hope
3a) the author of hope, or he who is its foundation
3b) the thing hoped for

A confident expectation is what we have NOW. We're not wishing for something in the future.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟59,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Greek word is NOT how we today use the word. Today, we use 'hope' in a "wishful thinking" kind of way. But not so with the ancient Greeks.

The word 'hope' found in Rom 8:24 is the same word in Heb 11:1 - Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

elpis
Thayer Definition:
3b) the thing hoped for

A confident expectation is what we have NOW. We're not wishing for something in the future.

Agree, and that hope is the indwelling of The Holy Spirit. If we did not have Him abiding in us we would not have (true) hope. It is He who testifies that the things of God are true, that we are already living in eternity. It is He who assures us that we belong to Christ.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟59,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is my belief, also, that according to John 5:24 that those born again from above will not have to face judgement. What we will be met with will be Jesus' gifts to us for our good works for His kingdom. At the rapture we will be perfect, even as He is perfect.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

elpis
Thayer Definition:
3b) the thing hoped for

Don't you know what expectation is? It is anticipation. Hope, expectation, and anticipation are all future. Please don't address any statements if you aren't familiar with the English language. You are so out in left field, it's not even funny.

Expectation -
noun
1. the act or the state of expecting : to wait in expectation.
2. the act or state of looking forward or anticipating.
3. an expectant mental attitude: a high pitch of expectation.
4. something expected; a thing looked forward to.

I will tell you this, I expect to retire, I am waiting for it, it is my hope to retire, and I anticipate it. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I AM RETIRED NOW! What is it that you don't get?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Agree, and that hope is the indwelling of The Holy Spirit. If we did not have Him abiding in us we would not have (true) hope.
The word 'abide' refers to fellowship. All believers are indwelt with the Holy Spirit. But fellowship with the Holy Spirit is when one is filled with the Holy Spirit (Eph 5:18) and is walking by means of the Spirit (Gal 5:16), which is the only way one will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Don't you know what expectation is? It is anticipation.
Do you understand what a CONFIDENT expectation is? That is faith.

Hope, expectation, and anticipation are all future. Please don't address any statements if you aren't familiar with the English language. You are so out in left field, it's not even funny.
Your opinion has been filed and found to be funny. ^_^

Expectation -
noun
The biblical word isn't "expectation". It's 'hope', or confident expectation.

Please don't treat the biblical word as one uses "hope" today, as in "wishful thinking".

I will tell you this, I expect to retire, I am waiting for it, it is my hope to retire, and I anticipate it. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I AM RETIRED NOW! What is it that you don't get?
I sincerely hope that your expectation to retire isn't just wishful thinking.

However, unless you have been guaranteed a retirement, the best that can be done is some wishful thinking that you actually WILL someday retire.

Now, IF you've been given a guarantee of retirement, then you, too, will have a confident expectation of retirement.

Which is no laughing matter. ;)

But, there can be any number of things that may preclude a retirement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you understand what a CONFIDENT expectation is? That is faith.

Your opinion has been filed and found to be funny. ^_^

The biblical word isn't "expectation". It's 'hope', or confident expectation.

Please don't treat the biblical word as one uses "hope" today, as in "wishful thinking".

I sincerely hope that your expectation to retire isn't just wishful thinking.

However, unless you have been guaranteed a retirement, the best that can be done is some wishful thinking that you actually WILL someday retire.

Now, IF you've been given a guarantee of retirement, then you, too, will have a confident expectation of retirement.

Which is no laughing matter. ;)

But, there can be any number of things that may preclude a retirement.

Hey OSASer's, here is your spokesman, your voice of reason. Since none of you have refuted him, I take you believe as he does and stand behind him 100%.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Slick dodge of all the rest of my post.

You still haven't shown a comprehension of the English language. Let dictionary.com help you out.

Expectation -
5. Often, expectations. a prospect of future good or profit: to have great expectations.
6. the degree of probability that something will occur:

Expectation is the noun of the verb expect -
1. to look forward to; regard as likely to happen; anticipate the occurrence or the coming of:
I expect to read it. I expect him later. She expects that they will come.
2. to look for with reason or justification: We expect obedience.
3. Informal. to suppose or surmise; guess: I expect that you are tired from the trip.
4. to anticipate the birth of (one's child): Paul and Sylvia expect their second very soon.

Which of the definitions say PAST OR PRESENT? Expectation is always FUTURE!!! What do you not understand about expectation? Adding 'confident' does change the meaning one iota.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it possible for a believer to go to hell? What happens after death to those that did alot of sins but where believers?

First, and short answer, no. If you are a true believer and do what believing requires, then you are good to go. There is only one non forgivable sin and I seriously doubt you have committed it, all others, and I mean ALL can and will be forgiven. Just repent, try not to do them again, if you do, ask for forgiveness and move on, forget about it and don't allow yourself to beat yourself out of heaven by believing otherwise...it's easy to do. You're Bible has all the answers and if you don't grasp some things, we are here for you. I guess the trick to that is, who do you listen too? :) You'll know.

Second, your thread started with some reckless individuals confusing the issue with their false teachings, don't let them confuse you. Your idea of Hell is most likely much more grounded that their lies. I only read the first page or so, but hopefully those that disagree with them will be able to run them off, of at the very least, cause them to be seen for the liars they are.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You still haven't shown a comprehension of the English language. Let dictionary.com help you out.

Expectation
5. Often, expectations. a prospect of future good or profit: to have great expectations.
6. the degree of probability that something will occur:

Expectation is the noun of the verb expect -
1. to look forward to; regard as likely to happen; anticipate the occurrence or the coming of:
I expect to read it. I expect him later. She expects that they will come.
2. to look for with reason or justification: We expect obedience.
3. Informal. to suppose or surmise; guess: I expect that you are tired from the trip.
4. to anticipate the birth of (one's child): Paul and Sylvia expect their second very soon.

Which of the definitions say PAST OR PRESENT? Expectation is always FUTURE!!! What do you not understand about expectation? Adding 'confident' does change the meaning one iota.
Your opinion is noted. However, when the Bible uses the Greek word translated 'hope' in the English, the meaning carries the idea that what is "hoped for" is basically guaranteed.

Now, what is so important with the future tense? What is your point?

Many pages have been created since bringing up the future tense. Please refresh my memory on the importance of the future tense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your opinion is noted. However, when the Bible uses the Greek word translated 'hope' in the English, the meaning carries the idea that what is "hoped for" is basically guaranteed.

Now, what is so important with the future tense? What is your point?

Many pages have been created since bringing up the future tense. Please refresh my memory on the importance of the future tense.

Do you expect and hope to eat tomorrow? Has it already taken place? Are you guaranteed you will eat tomorrow?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you have eaten today, do you still have hope of eating today? Do you expect to eat today if you have already eaten?
OK, you've demonstrated well enough how much you miss the difference between biblical "hope" with how it's used today.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, you've demonstrated well enough how much you miss the difference between biblical "hope" with how it's used today.

There is no difference FG2. Hope is hope. It has the same meaning today as it did in the early church. Hope IS ALWAYS FUTURE! We are saved by hope.

Upvote 0