Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can backsliding be forgiven?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by gennfamily, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gennfamily

gennfamily New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    I do not see this question anywhere else. I see quite a bit of people believing what they want to believe despite clear cut scripture. I am hoping to get some Scripturally sound perspective on this from spiritually mature Christians. I keep coming up against "sin wilfully after receiving a knowledge of the truth, and there be no sacrifice for sins left, and we come under a certain fearful expectation of judgement, and fiery indignation which will devour the advesaries of God" (Heb 10:26-27)
    So if a person is a Christian but struggles and falls away even though they know there is a God, does this Scripture stand as the bottom line despite anything after that time?:scratch: :( :cry: Does that also mean that a seemingly succesful reunion with the Lord such as happens with 12 step or other recovery and counseling programs is nothing but self-delusion?

2. DeaconDean

DeaconDean γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    Friend, this is just my own take of what is in the scriptures.

"Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee. But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest. And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth. And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man. And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee. Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly."-Matt. 26:69-75

Look at that passage closely. Peter not only denied knowing Jesus but went as far as to even revert to his former life. He began to curse. As I look at these scriptures, I would suggest that Peter "backslid." But afterward, he went out and cried bitterly. As I look at that, to me that suggests that Peter repented of his sin.

Anybody can backslide. I was a Christian until I was 14 y/o, then I walked away. I stayed out in the world until I was 37. Now, I could not see any way I could do that now. I had backslid. But the difference is that I came back. Just like the prodigal son, I was lost, but now I'm found. I was dead, but now I'm alive.

To me, the only 12 step program you have to take are those steps which keep you separate from God.

Let me put it like this, as long as there is a breath of life left in you, there is hope. Only after you die is there no hope if you don't know Jesus.

The writer of Hebrews knew we couldn't walk without sinning:

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us," -Heb. 12:1

Thank God that He made provision for us when this happens:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." -1 John 1:9

Yes friend, as long as there is a breath of life in us, there is hope. The "backslidden" can be forgiven.

OrthodoxyUSA, ScottBot and Leah like this.
  3. gennfamily

gennfamily New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    I appreciate the gentleness of your answer as well as the scripture. GBY

4. OrthodoxyUSA

OrthodoxyUSA Well-Known Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Well done!

1000 points for DeaconDean! (Remember, the points don't matter. ^_^ )

Forgive me...:liturgy:

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Left the river, made it to the sea Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    Good post indeed Deacon...

I also like the parable of the Lost Sheep:

[bible]Matthew 18:10-14[/bible]

We can be in the fold and fall away but that does not mean that the Shephard will not come and find us...

6. intricatic

intricatic ...a dinosaur... or something...

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
  7. gennfamily

gennfamily New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    i have to say i think this is the first time here that i've seen every single speaker agree regardless of denomination and not a single one say something personal and mean. thanks.;) it's cool to see so much solid Scripture.

8. Cribstyl

Cribstyl Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Pentecostal

HEB 10:26For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

MANY BELIEVERS BELIEVE THAT THEY'VE HAVE USED THE BLOOD TOO MANY TIMES, AS YOU KNOW,THAT'S CALLED CONVICTION. IF YOU HEED THE VERSE IN HEB10:25 AND NOT FORSAKE GATHERING WITH OTHER BELIEVERS. WE WILL REMIND THAT THE BLOOD WAS SHED ONCE FAR ALL AND THAT NEVER WILL NEVER LOSE IT'S POWER.

THERE IS ASSURANCE OF FORGIVENESS OF SIN

Ijohn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

THERE IS ASSURANCE OF DELIVERANCE FROM TEMPTATION

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

9. Leah

Leah 2 Corinthians 5:21

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    *Gods Revenger dances* :clap:

I needed to know this too and thank you for reminding me! :hug:

10. PastorMikeJ

PastorMikeJ combat veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Word-of-Faith
    even Peter backslided...when he denied Jesus 3 times..and God forgave him..I was backsliden for 3 yrs and the Lord forgave me...so I am in good company with Peter...we both are forgiven...

11. Gal328

Gal328 Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian

Sorry I can't get into it exstensively, I'll summerize it as basic as I can. If you are a true christian ( if your faith is real ) God will forgive your backsliding. If your faith wasn't genuine then backsliding isn't forgiven.

my 2 cents

12. Metanoia02

Metanoia02 Owner of the invisible &a mp;

Faith:
    Catholic
    What actually is backslidding?

It seems to me that sin is turning away from God, so all sin is backslidding or all backslidding is sin?

13. juggernaut

juggernaut New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    if your faith wasn't genuine what would you be backsliding from???

God's forgiveness is available to all who have a repentant heart. We all fall short of the glory of God...there is a difference, i believe, between struggling with sin and willing to sin. Even Paul stated "Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin." (Rom 7:25).
    Paul himself knowing that as a follower of Christ we are called to live a life that is holy and pleasing to the Lord knew that we are capable of sinning. Again and again. I myself have been struggling with a particular sin for years, I don't want to do it but sometimes I find myself doing it...it's not that I wilfully do it, in my heart it's not something that I want to hold on to...and it's very easy to say "just let it go" becoz it's a habit that I need to change.
    Have I backslidden? What is it to backslide? To stray from the faith? I can't say that I have, what I can say is my sin whether it be backsliding or not seperates me from God and unless I confess and come clean that seperation will always be a hinderance when I want to be near to God.

14. f.o.o.t.man

f.o.o.t.man Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    If God can't forgive backsliding, then he isn't all-powerful. If he can't forgive backsliding then he doesn't really love us as much as he says he does. If he can't forgive backsliding then Jesus's sacrifice wasn't enough. If that's the case, then God is sadistic and cynical for sending his only Son to die when it would really pay for all sins. I could quote Scripture but I think this question can be thought through logically based on what we know about God.

15. Tonks

Tonks No longer here Supporter

Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Is your position that a true Christian - after being saved (as it were) - is not capable of sin?

16. DeaconDean

DeaconDean γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    Somebody has been watching "Whose Line Is It Anyway"

Are we gonna have a "Hoedown" now?

Thanks "Drew"

God Bless you brother.

17. tapero

tapero Legend Supporter

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    The scripture says in

1 John2:1

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

It is also written that Jesus always lives to intercede for us.

Hope that helps.

DeaconDean likes this.
  18. Maccie

Maccie New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Backsliding is not the unforgiveablwe sin against the Holy Spirit, so of course it can be forgiven.

Otherwise, why did Jesus die?

19. gennfamily

gennfamily New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    what is the unforgiveable sin? I've never heard a unanimous opinion on this.

20. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Left the river, made it to the sea Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    I've heard various answers on it but I tend to think that it is a final and definitive NO to God. It is unforgiveable because in so doing you are forsaking yourself and rejecting forgiveness...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.