• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can anyone recommend a trauma recover book?

designer mom

Feb 21, 2012
✟9,555.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, I'm specifically dealing with childhood trauma recovery. I was abused and neglected by a severely narcissistic parent into my late 20's when I realized what was happening and cut off contact. I now struggle with severe guilt issues, PTSD and I suppose general effects of trauma. I found that trauma therapy was a little bit too intense for me at this time in my life (taking care of small children who can't have me distant and/or falling apart due to things that come up in therapy), but I have been able to tackle trauma books in small doses.

Can anyone recommend one? I haven't had the best of luck finding trauma recovery books that are specifically Christian, which frustrates me because I feel like that means that Christians are just sticking their heads in the sand when it comes to these issues, but I'm still hopeful that there are some out there that I haven't come across yet. I'm willing to read non-Christian trauma books as well, but I think that I really favor an approach that doesn't require me to travel back in time and re-parent myself or anything along those lines. Am I being unrealistic in that regard?

Thanks.

Reactions: BeStill&Know

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Safe Passage to Healing by Chrystine Oksana

From the Introduction:

Who Can Benefit?
This book is written for adult survivors of ritual abuse. However, survivors of any trauma may find it helpful. If you have been suffering the effects of incest, sadistic or violent abuse, or abuse at the hands of multiple perpetrators, this book may help in your healing. If you have been raised in a negative, critical, or fearful atmosphere, you may find issues in common with survivors. If you are suffering from chronic difficulties such as anxiety, sleeping disorders, food and chemical dependencies, depression, chronic fatigue or other unexplained chronic difficulties, and have not found relief despite professional treatment, this book describes tools for self-discovery that may lead to healing, no matter what the specific causes of that behavior might be.

The author does put an emphasis on spiritual healing. Although it is not specifically Christian (as I believe she wanted to reach as many hurting people as possible, regardless of faith), she does speak of God quite often.

I have this book and have gone through it once and I am on a second time around. There is tons of information on healing from abuse (no matter the source), so it is not something you can just sit down and read (it is recommended in small doses).

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm willing to read non-Christian trauma books as well, but I think that I really favor an approach that doesn't require me to travel back in time and re-parent myself or anything along those lines. Am I being unrealistic in that regard?

Thanks.

The basis of any abuse-related healing comes down to our "inner child". It is this core of us, especially when it concerns abuse by a parent, that becomes most injured. It isn't so much about having to re-parent yourself as much as it is being the loving adult you didn't have to that injured child within you. Is it easy? No, far from it, I am still learning it. Not being shown it by my own parent leaves me with a lack of knowledge about how I should treat myself. If you are a parent yourself, it will help you to understand that love and caring between parent and child. Treat yourself with the same love, caring and protection you do your own child.

Upvote 0