can anyone following God allowed to wear make up?

Icefloret

I Love Jesus!
Oct 9, 2011
Piqua, Ohio 45356
✟15,247.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is anyone following God allowed to wear make up? Because I like to do somethings like with make up! Like playing with it. Some people say its ok but the I am early in the book to get to that point. And i like to know about fashionable clothes and clothes on the internet amazon (an webpage shop for clothes) is a good thing?

Reactions: Catherineanne

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am early in the book to get to that point
Not sure what you mean here. But if you mean you are reading the Bible for the first time and starting from the beginning, I would suggest you get a balanced diet of scripture. The Mosaic law can be very legalistic and restrictive, and it really helps to have the context of grace, which the New Testament gives. See 2Cor 3 and Galatians, for example.

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I second what paul1149 said. There are some reading programs that have you read and section of the Old Testament and then also a section of the New Testament each day. It is very easy to get legalistic. Our salvation comes from grace. Grace is a very important concept to understand.

I enjoy wearing make up and make sure to wear what's appropriate for the occasion. Meaning office make up is not the same as date-night-with-the-husband make up (love me a well-done smokey eye or a classic red lip). There can be true art in make up. As long as it doesn't become what you worship, or doesn't become the crutch on which you base your worth, I think it's fine. I think fashion is fine too as long as it's appropriate, and again, doesn't become your idol or crutch.

Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is much more concerned with the state of our hearts than with the state of our faces. That being said, your image is your reputation and you want to wear your image/reputation well, in a manner that is respectful to you and reflective of who you are in Christ. Ask God to show you how to exercise wisdom and modesty in what you do and see how He leads you in how you dress & wear your make-up. I know plenty of God fearing women who wear make-up and plenty who don't. Either way is fine, what's most important is loving & serving the Lord. Let that be your main focus :)

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Is anyone following God allowed to wear make up? Because I like to do somethings like with make up! Like playing with it. Some people say its ok but the I am early in the book to get to that point. And i like to know about fashionable clothes and clothes on the internet amazon (an webpage shop for clothes) is a good thing?

*1 Peter 3:3-4
Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.

There's an interesting story about the women
in days of old...They would wear elaborate hairstyles,
and gold crowns(golden city as they were called)
which were in the shape of the city
of Jerusalem...it was done as a memorial(Jerusalem
had been destroyed.)
Many women were excessive in their manner of dress and conduct, the wearing of abundant jewelry etc...they vied to be the most admired/most popular...which isn't
something a child of God should pursue... such pursuits give way to jealousies, greed, pride, hindered faith walk etc.

So don't overdo the putting on of make-up, jewelry,
expensive clothing etc... one's focus is to be on honoring
God and His Word.

Remember: Modesty and moderation.
Verses on this:
1 Corinthians 10:23
Proverbs 31:30
Matthew 23:12

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Yes, no problem. Wear what you like; God doesn't mind a bit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CowWarrior

Aug 18, 2015
✟15,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This might sway off from the Bible a little bit, but it is worth noting...

In the Book of Enoch, it mention something about beautifying their brows which is a type of make up that are taught to men by the fallen angels.

Chapter 8
1. Moreover Azazyel taught men to make swords,
knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of mirrors/
and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments,
the use of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows,
the use of stones of every valuable and select
kind, and of all sorts of dyes, so that the world
became altered.

2. Impiety increased ; fornication multiplied ; and
they transgressed and corrupted all their ways.
3. Amazarak taught all the sorcerers, and dividers
of roots
4. Armors taught the solution of sorcery;
5. Barkayal taught the observers of the stars ;
6. Akibeel taught signs
7. Tamiel taught astronomy ;
8. And Asaradel taught the motion of the moon.
^ 9. And men, being destroyed, cried out ; and their
voice reached to heaven.

If we compare this to the parable of Jesus with the rich man. (Mark 10)
We can see that it is harder for us to enter the kingdom of heaven if we still have worldly attachment to such things.

When we compare this parable with the Book of Enoch, the fallen angel had taught exactly the opposite of Jesus.

Hope this shine some light as to whether or not make up and fashion is a allowed.
It is better to not fancy those things much unless you have to. We don't want to become a narcissist full of pride.

God Bless

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Do not worry about your make up and clothes. They do not matter to God, in regarding how we live as a Christians. What matters to God, is our internal state, the state of our hearts, if we are doing immoral things, like cheating, stealing, speaking evil of others, adultery, fornication, strife, hot tempers, hatred, and other similar things. That is what God cares about in our lives. But ofcourse, we can only live a moral life, and do the commandments of God, by the help of the Holy Spirit in us, otherwise, we by ourselves, can not do the commandments of God and live morally, and sometimes we also fail, and sin, because of our weakness. How we dress or what make up we put, it does not matter. The whole Bible is based on the two commands, love God and love people. That is the main thing God is concerned about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 31, 2013
Northeast
✟25,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I used to watch a lot of EWTN. Barbara McGuigan once advised women never to wear anything that would draw men's attention away from their eyes. I don't think it's a perfect answer, and I don't think it hits all situations, but IMO it sure covers a lot of good ground.

Upvote 0

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The scriptural verses in 1 Timothy 2:1+ will help aid you in understanding, but if there be any real concern then praying to GOD through his son JESUS is the first and best result to verify any possible lies that may fog or mask the true reality of modest living.

You might want to learn and understand by the grace of GOD through his son JESUS the definition and undefiled meaning of true modesty in context of purity as well....never hurts to be thorough.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums