Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
the difference between southern baptists and northern baptists in america? Thank you. Everyone talks about southern baptists but I have no idea there was such a thing, and nobody seems to mention northern baptists.

In my country its just baptists.

The North won the battle!

Sorry about the pun,the Southern Baptist believe in the Spirtual gifts ,most Baptist believe the Gifts have gone away.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The North won the battle!

Sorry about the pun,the Southern Baptist believe in the Spirtual gifts ,most Baptist believe the Gifts have gone away.

There are many Southern Baptists who don't believe spiritual gifts are still around. I'm one of them.

To my knowledge, the SBC is more diverse in that it neither officially promotes Calvinism or Arminianianism and individuals can lean either way.

Southern Baptists also tend to be more politically conservative while Northern Baptists are more liberal as they tend to be more accepting of homosexuality.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmm.
In my country most baptists are apolitical.
Bible baptists are the more hell fire and brimstone preaching kJV only crowd. They dont believe in tongues so they stick to olde english.
Theres not many ifb churches if there are they seem imported from america.
Then theres reformed baptists who in their own elect category. They snub everyone else.

We actually have northwest baptists. Their church is near the north western motorway so thats what the church is named.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There are many Southern Baptists who don't believe spiritual gifts are still around. I'm one of them.

To my knowledge, the SBC is more diverse in that it neither officially promotes Calvinism or Arminianianism and individuals can lean either way.

Southern Baptists also tend to be more politically conservative while Northern Baptists are more liberal as they tend to be more accepting of homosexuality.

Where did the gifts go ?
Did they simply disappear from the Body of Christ?

When we minister to others through our gifts, we are tapping into the inexhaustible energy and motivation of God. When we exercise our gifts, the Holy Spirit works through us. We experience an extra measure of energy and joy.
Quote: Charles Stanley

Last edited:
Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the difference between southern baptists and northern baptists in america? Thank you. Everyone talks about southern baptists but I have no idea there was such a thing, and nobody seems to mention northern baptists.

In my country its just baptists.

Northern Baptist became for the most part American Baptist of the USA. They tend to be more liberal and often support women in ministry and women as pastors. I pastored two ABC USA churches and went to an American Baptist Seminary.

I have also pastored one Southern Baptist Church. I am a member of a Southern Baptist Church now.They are definitely more conservative in their Doctrine. They do not permit women to be ordained, and see women in supportive roles. The Baptist Faith and Message is their Statement of Faith in general terms.
During the Civil War they supported the South, thus the name Southern Baptist. The denomination publically admitted supporting the south was wrong, not too long ago. So that is by no means their thought in any way whatsoever.

I see in both denominations good points and both have their issues. I personally wish Southern Baptist would see women deserve a more recognized role and even ordaining women when in the mission field. Hell will freeze over before that is even a thought. American Baptist Churches are too liberal in some areas. The Wisconsin state has accepted homosexual churches into their Stare area region. I disagree with that as that was up to the state of California region to deal with. The ABC has a much better retirement plan and medical. They also have help for pastors and churches in trouble with each other.

If the area I live in had an ABC church that is where I most likely would attend, strictly because of their openness to women.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Where did the gifts go ?
Did they simply disappear from the Body of Christ?

When we minister to others through our gifts, we are tapping into the inexhaustible energy and motivation of God. When we exercise our gifts, the Holy Spirit works through us. We experience an extra measure of energy and joy.
Quote: Charles Stanley
When people tend to speak of the spiritual gifts being dead, due to modern times, the issue is healing, tongues. For instance: Healing in the means that someone does or says something and an individual is instantly healed or brought back from the dead. It wouldn't matter if the person who was given the healing had faith or not, just like in Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm still confused. If each church is autonomous, doesn't that mean no other church can tell it what to believe or do. SBC has no power. It's purely funding. Otherwise, a church could believe in Flying Spaghetti Monster, couldn't it? I'm just trying to wrap my head around autonomous church theory. At what point is an autonomous church required to uphold any values of a group it belongs to?

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
When people tend to speak of the spiritual gifts being dead, due to modern times, the issue is healing, tongues. For instance: Healing in the means that someone does or says something and an individual is instantly healed or brought back from the dead. It wouldn't matter if the person who was given the healing had faith or not, just like in Scripture.

At what dispensation did the Gifts of Healing and Tongues become void to modern times?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe they just dont use them in their church.
Pity. Bible says dont forbid tongues, and Im sure when someone is sick they want someone with the gift of healing to lay hands on them. I suppose those churches just call a doctor and pay the fee first.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
At what dispensation did the Gifts of Healing and Tongues become void to modern times?
My stance: It was void after the last apostle died.

Name one person since then able to walk streets, touch people with even their shadow and they are healed? If this had occurred today it would be all over the news because people all around would be flocking to this person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do southern baptists have women as youth pastors? Thats ok isnt it? Or no women in ministry roles at all?

They can serve as youth pastors and bible study/sunday school teachers, but cannot preach nor can they be deacons.

I agree there should not be women preachers/pastors but I don't see anything unbiblical about female deacons.

Upvote 0