can a person accidently blaspheme the Holy Spirit?

looking4joy

Looking for Joy
Jul 30, 2012
✟8,171.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The way I understand the biblical definition of blaspheming the Holy Spirit from verses Mark 3:28-30 is in verse 30:

28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.” 30 He said this because they were saying, “He has an impure spirit.”

Can a person accidently do this?

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, God knows the heart; and He knows when one is rejecting Him and even attributing Him and His works to Satan purposely. That is no accident! If one humbles himself before God and receives His gift of life in His "beloved Son", he/she will be saved and sealed as a "child of God".

Don't ever talk carelessly or jokingly toward or about God, and you won't have anything to worry about. Sometimes professing Christians who are not truly saved, will say things against God, and that is asking for trouble.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so. I know lying isn't the same thing as blaspheming but think this Scripture shows it's done deliberately and involves our hearts. Acts 5:3 " But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?"

Upvote 0

rich1540

Aug 21, 2014
Australia
✟8,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No.

I thought blasphemy of the holy spirit was false witness against the teachings of Christ, so you would have to be claiming some authority either actual or defacto on behalf of God. So false phophets, pastors and anybody else who was seen as a representive of the body of Christ. For example, I pointed the finger at Australian immigration Minister Scott Morrison last night who as the most famous member of Shirelive church in Sydney is effectively responsible for the imprisonment of traumatised refugees.

My mother rang me tonight in tears about a 4 Corners ABC documentary on mandatory detention of refugees in Australia. The story was focussing on the humanitarian aspect of refugee detention and the mental illness that is arising from being incarcerated and not heard. They are held in jails and it is not surprising to me the private companies that run them, run them as jails, given that is their expertise. The documentary side stepped the politics which was a welcome change and focussed on what really matters how we treat people and our own values. It was well done and a good mirror. My mother was crying which showed me it touched her.

The Refuge of Democracy is the Australian Solution to Refugees | Peace is Our True Nature

[BIBLE] If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. Matthew 18.6 [/BIBLE]

We have been commanded not to judge, but anybody with half a brain could see this rule is overuled by the abdominal behavior of Mr Morrison for the sake of power. Can you imagine how many people have turned away from Jesus due to this man? Mr Morrison also had a highly privileged background in a affluent Christian family. I also accused him of burying his talents.

OK. I promise i'll shut up soon. Just a couple of more posts and threads including one praying for Mr Morrison to turn back to Jesus and beg forgiveness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No. Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is when a person utterly rejects God to such a degree, (like the pharisees) that even when the evidence of Jesus' authority is right in your face, they dismiss it and attribute it to the devil.

This pastor explains what blaspheming the holy spirit means. Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9jm3eVHFeg

Upvote 0

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is what the Pharisees did. They had the Creator himself in front of them, yet they rejected him. Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is to become so hardened that if an angel reveals himself to you, or if the Son of God himself came from heaven to speak to you, it will still not cause you to repent. And then there's nothing really that God can do for such a person, that's why this sin is “eternal”.

But to reach such a state isn't something that happens by chance, it is the culmination of a long process where people repeatedly reject light from God and eventually the Spirit of God mournfully withdraws from such persons.
In other words, if you're afraid of insulting the Spirit, it shows that you've still got a sensitive conscience; a person who have blasphemed the Spirit shows no concern about his spiritual standing.

Reactions: ZIGGY5214
Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Did some homework. Source= MacArthur study bible. It states the following on Matthew 12:31 (<-- Get yur Bible out , I aint going to do it all lol. Read the verse then the following verbatim copy of what is said).... The sin He was confronting was the Pharisees' deliberate rejection of that which they knew to be of God (cf. Jn 11:48; Ac 4:16) They could not deny the reality of what the Holy Spirit had done through Him, so they attributed it to satan a work that they knew was of God (v 24, Mk 3:22)

Read Matt 12: 32 now and the following is verbatim.

Someone never exposed to Christ's divine power and presents might reject Him in ignorance and be forgiven-assuming the unbelief gives way to genuine repentance. Evan a Pharisee such as Saul of Tarsus could be forgiven for speaking against Jesus and persecuting His followers--because his unbelief stemmed from ignorance (1 Ti 1:13) But those that know His claims are true but reject him anyway sin "against the Holy Spirit "--because it is the Holy Spirit that testifies of Christ and makes His truth known to us (Jn 15:26; 16:14,15)'. No forgiveness was possible to those Pharisee's who witnessed first hand, knew the truth of His claims, and still blasphemed the Holy Spirit,--because they had already rejected the fullest possible revelation.

Hope that helps God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh boy...I just noticed this thread and wanted to share what I have so many times before. I don't believe it is true that this sin is saying the words of God belong to Satan. I would like to offer this link to my site which can answer the question: What Is The Unforgivable Sin - Have I committed It

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting question. Like others, I too understand blasphemy of the Holy Spirit to be attributing God's spirit (of love, healing, and forgiveness) to the devil. It's essentially cursing the Spirit of God in action, and claiming the Spirit is demonic.

The question is, can one do this mistakenly? That is, can a person be sincerely wrong in thinking God's Spirit is the Devil's; and if so, can they be forgiven for that.

My feeling is that, in order for it to really be blasphemy of the Spirit, the person committing the sin must know within themselves that the Spirit they are cursing is really of God. With that full knowledge in hand, it's easier for me to appreciate how such a sin could be unforgivable. But it is a very interesting question to consider indeed!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Blaspheming the Holy Spirit, is to curse any spirit, Jesus said those who speak a word against the Son of Man (Jesus Christ, the man, not Jesus Christ the Spirit) it will be forgiven him, but he who blasphemes (curses the Holy Spirit) it will not be forgiven him, and since oftentimes we can't tell the Holy Spirit from any other spirits, it is best not to curse any spirit, when Michael the archangel was having a dispute with the Devil, he did not bring a railing accusation against him, (cursed him), but simply said "May Jehovah rebuke you" which is the attitude we should have when speaking against any spirit, especially since we have great difficulty discerning between spirits...

In short do not curse ANY spirit, to keep yourself free from this sin...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No, God knows the heart; and He knows when one is rejecting Him and even attributing Him and His works to Satan purposely. That is no accident! If one humbles himself before God and receives His gift of life in His "beloved Son", he/she will be saved and sealed as a "child of God".

Don't ever talk carelessly or jokingly toward or about God, and you won't have anything to worry about. Sometimes professing Christians who are not truly saved, will say things against God, and that is asking for trouble.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
since oftentimes we can't tell the Holy Spirit from any other spirits

Hmmm... my sheep know my voice and another they will not follow.

It does seem like there are few people that know His voice. We tend to follow our imagination more than the word of God.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God makes a distinction, I see, between both ignorantly saying something wrong or offensive about God and His ways, and purposely doing something such --as many here have already stated. God knows our heart and mind.

I will just add a thought also that the Lord Jesus allowed many bad things to be stated and done against Him, and often in ignorance, for He came to teach, be the supreme sacrifice, and redeem souls, not judge (see Lk. 12:14; John 8:15; John 12:47-48); but He and His Father will not allow such charges against the divine Holy Spirit who is pure and not as man.

Upvote 0