Can a Christian Doubt Their Salvation?

iLove

Jan 3, 2013
✟28,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 6:4-6 KJV means you can't sin your salvation away, however you can renounce it. You can reject your faith. God had made it so difficult to do unless you meet the five qualifications mentioned in this scripture as a mature Christian and ignorance does not count. So it is possible but God has made it extremely difficult.

The Lord’s Grace to Paul

"12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." 1 Timothy 1:12-14

Jesus Grace tops sin. All Christians are Holy, sanctified, and righteous by what Jesus did, not by what we do. Being Holy, sanctified, and righteous is not based on your behavior. If you believe in Jesus and believe what the blood has done you are Holy, sanctified, righteous, and redeemed. Your spirit has been sealed with Jesus so the good can't get out, and the bad can't get in. Hebrews 10:10 says, "By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."The question is do you believe it?

For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, = Unbelief, you do not believe Jesus is the finial sacrifice for your sins. Which means there are no more sacrifices.

Upvote 0

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Here is another view for you maybe those who don't doubt don't because they are not saved at all. I think it is natural for us to doubt. if you look at the prophets they all doubted. Questions those that stand before you with The word of God. Just because they have a degree or are ordained does not mean they are saved. I am not saying your pastor is not saved, but telling you must know God well enough to know when He is speaking through a person and when a person is from God.

Remember your pastor is not the Head of the Church the Head of the Church is Jesus.

What I am saying is if you put all your trust in your pastor you will be let down. Trust God who is always Faithful and will never Abandon you. Then your trust will be well placed.

That's so beautifully said. It helped me so much thank you

Upvote 0

Pedrito

May 4, 2015
✟8,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe iLove hit the nail on the head in his post of 12th May 2015, 10:35 AM.

"Hebrews 6:4-6 KJV means you can't sin your salvation away, however you can renounce it. You can reject your faith."
Let's look at some Scripture.

On 24th March 2015, 03:11 AM, JM presented some thoughts from The London Baptist Confession of 1689. One of them was "This perseverance of the saints depends not upon their own free will, but upon the nature of the covenant of grace ..." 1 John 3:9 is offered as the basis of that foundation.

1 John 3:9 states,
Everyone who has been born of God does not commit sin, because His seed remains in him, and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

However, the same author, in the same letter (epistle), inspired by the same God, wrote:

1 John 5:6,7
6 If anyone sees his brother sin a sin not to death, he shall ask, and He shall give him life for those that do not sin to death. There is a sin to death, I do not say that he shall pray for it.
7 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not to death.

We learn from this that:
  • A "brother" (linguistically includes "sister") can commit sin.
  • "Commit" in the sense expressed here, carries the sense of "make a habit of".
  • Most sins can be forgiven and prayed for; that is covered in 1 John 2:1,2.
  • There is a particular type of sin from which there is no recovery.
  • It is described in terms analogous to that of the unpardonable sin.
  • It is our responsibility to know who are brothers and sisters.
  • We have the duty to be able to identify someone committing the "sin unto death" and not pray for that person.
Scripture seems to speak of a commitment to God, that once made, results in the Holy Spirit doing something inside a person; once that is done, the commitment cannot be revoked. As long as a person does not attempt to revoke that commitment, then there is no need for that person to fear.

Continued in next post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pedrito

May 4, 2015
✟8,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following references may be of help and comfort to some.

To the footstep follower, it is said:

John 10:27-29
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
28 And I give to them eternal life, and they shall never ever perish, and not anyone shall pluck them out of My hand.
29 My Father who gave them to me is greater than all, and no one is able to pluck them out of My Father's hand.

About one who has deliberately turned his (linguistically including “her”) back, the following is said:

Hebrews 6:4-6
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
5 and have tasted the good Word of God and the powers of the world to come,
6 and who have fallen away; it is impossible, I say, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify the Son of God afresh to themselves and put Him to an open shame.

Hebrews 10:26-29
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins,
27 but a certain fearful looking for judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He who despised Moses' Law died without mercy on the word of two or three witnesses.
29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy of punishment, the one who has trampled the Son of God, and who has counted the blood of the covenant with which he was sanctified an unholy thing, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?

2 Peter 2:20-22
20 For if they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the full knowledge of the Lord and
Savior Jesus Christ, and are again entangled, they have been overcome by these, their last things are
worse than the first.
21 For it would have been better for them not to have fully known the way of righteousness,
thankfully knowing it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.
22 But the word of the true proverb has happened to them: The dog turning to his own vomit; and,
The washed sow to wallowing in the mire.

Etc.

The Bible does say that we do have a responsibility – it speaks of enduring to the end. That implies something strongly. If all seems to be going well for us, we might be in for a surprise later on. (1 Peter 4:12,13)

I suggest that when the trials come, it is up to us to stand firm in faith, and not throw in the towel, as someone I knew personally once did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0