JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe anybody here is saying your salvation depends on your perseverance in moving toward being saved, or anything like that, but I want to issue this caution because I have heard many "famous" leaders teaching "perseverance" as necessary for salvation, so that if you fail to persevere, the mansion Jesus prepared for you in heaven when you were saved supposedly gets torn down by angelic bulldozers or something to that effect. Then you need to get saved again before a mansion can be prepared in heaven again for you..and hopefully you will be persevering when your time in this world is over so that mansion wont be torn down before you get to see it.

Don't listen to people who say your salvation depends on your perseverance. If the blood of Christ was not enough to save you, nothing ever will be. People who claim their perseverance is proof of their salvation are trying to fool you and fool themselves with a self-deceptive self-righteousness. They may actually be saved, but to be trusting in their own works of "perseverance" to be saved is a mistake .

Yes, I think you make a good point. We have to trust in what Christ did to save us and not in our ability to persevere enough. This subject isn't totally cleared up in my mind. It is true in Revelation in the letters to the seven Churches that Jesus said those who overcome will receive a crown of life etc. And it is also true in 1st John 5 that "whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world." But then again it says that 'this is the victory that overcometh the world-our faith" So is overcoming really just never permanently losing faith?

So in some sense we all do overcome or persevere. But can we be the judge of what exactly that means? When the Corinthian Christians got drunk and ate too much at the Lord's supper and God judged them with physical death.... they didn't go to hell... but to our eyes they don't look much like overcomers do they? The Guy who was sleeping with his step-mother didn't seem like much of an overcomer. However, even though He was delivered over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, his spirit was saved.

So the point is.... we can't really be sure about people's justification by looking at their sanctification. And we should never look to our sanctification for our justification. If we have sinned, we just need to ...

1. Believe and trust that the blood of Jesus covers our sins and justifies and saves us.

2. Renew our comittment to Christ.... not to gain justification but to be restored again to the joy of salvation and to be in a place where God can bless our lives.

Reactions: James Is Back
Upvote 0

ParentofChildren

Wanderer
Nov 4, 2006
✟9,005.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The pastor at the church I go to says that they cannot. I am not so sure about that. What do you guys think the Bible says about this?

Yes you can. Peter doubted/denied, Thomas did, I have. In my weakness I fear I may have transgressed to far. That is Satan trying to call you back, he is working on our weakness. Pray for Gods mercy, thank him for carrying you with doubts. Seek friends and studies to build your trust. <><

Upvote 0

ParentofChildren

Wanderer
Nov 4, 2006
✟9,005.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, you can doubt your salvation. If this were not the case, 1 John 5:13 wouldn't have been written. I've been a Christian for decades but there was a period of time when I doubted. It about drove me nuts. I finally had to simply *decide* to believe. Either the Bible was trustworthy, or all bets were off. So I'm betting my life on the Bible, having decided that it is true, and that since I'm trusting in Jesus to save me He will.

Very well said, I think Billy Graham had the same test for a period early on, or so I read in Case For Faith.

Upvote 0

AsperNinja

Mar 7, 2015
✟15,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Very well said, I think Billy Graham had the same test for a period early on, or so I read in Case For Faith.

That is interesting. I will have to look into that. I just wonder why people make such bold statements that a Christian can never doubt their salvation.

Upvote 0

KnowHisJoy77

blessed
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia USA
✟46,558.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The pastor at the church I go to says that they cannot. I am not so sure about that. What do you guys think the Bible says about this?

I agree with your pastor, as a Christian that is my experience since newborn in the faith.
I do not doubt my salvation since I heard the Good News.. almost 20 years ago when I was 33 years old. I was blind in darkness just like the Bible says so. I had no exposure to any Bible truth, I was exposed to a lot of things from voodoo to new age stuff as I was open to try whatever came to my way. I was truly brought to the light from a state of darkness. I saw my state of death as a worse case scenario sinner. That is from God, the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a person being convinced by the Holy Spirit of God. I believed! I believed Jesus was my Redeemer, that I was adopted in God's family and my name written in the Lamb's book of life. No one can take salvation away from me, no one can take Jesus Christ away and undo what Jesus has done for me and in me. Its impossible to because I have a new identity already and the Lord is the Author and Finisher of the faith. What He starts He sure finishes. It is impossible to erase my name from the book in heaven and that assurance I had when I hear the Gospel then and the witness of the Holy Spirit in me reminding me I am a child of God forever.

God saves, I know! I believe and can't help keep believing God, even when I am distracted from the Lord and my emotions and the enemy try to plant doubts, or when I am going through trials, I am remembered : "But JESUS"! incredible! He does not let His own go, ever, impossible to take myself away from His and the Father's hands. The Holy Spirit in us will lead us to all truth in the Bible and we will really experience and live Scriptures for ourselves. Praise God forever and ever grateful.

I don't know how a born again believer in Jesus Christ can be unsure of their salvation. Salvation is a gift from God. How come having issues to accept, embrace and love the most precious gift of all? Is it pride? What's going on?

:confused:

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is ROCD? I am not, as familiarised, with conditions by their English names. I know about OCD, of course. Is ROCD Religious Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

I apologise, I was trying to quote James. Quoting is not working for me now.

Yes ROCD is Religious OCD.

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ParentofChildren

Wanderer
Nov 4, 2006
✟9,005.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with your pastor, as a Christian that is my experience since newborn in the faith.
I do not doubt my salvation since I heard the Good News.. almost 20 years ago when I was 33 years old. I was blind in darkness just like the Bible says so. I had no exposure to any Bible truth, I was exposed to a lot of things from voodoo to new age stuff as I was open to try whatever came to my way. I was truly brought to the light from a state of darkness. I saw my state of death as a worse case scenario sinner. That is from God, the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a person being convinced by the Holy Spirit of God. I believed! I believed Jesus was my Redeemer, that I was adopted in God's family and my name written in the Lamb's book of life. No one can take salvation away from me, no one can take Jesus Christ away and undo what Jesus has done for me and in me. Its impossible to because I have a new identity already and the Lord is the Author and Finisher of the faith. What He starts He sure finishes. It is impossible to erase my name from the book in heaven and that assurance I had when I hear the Gospel then and the witness of the Holy Spirit in me reminding me I am a child of God forever.

God saves, I know! I believe and can't help keep believing God, even when I am distracted from the Lord and my emotions and the enemy try to plant doubts, or when I am going through trials, I am remembered : "But JESUS"! incredible! He does not let His own go, ever, impossible to take myself away from His and the Father's hands. The Holy Spirit in us will lead us to all truth in the Bible and we will really experience and live Scriptures for ourselves. Praise God forever and ever grateful.

I don't know how a born again believer in Jesus Christ can be unsure of their salvation. Salvation is a gift from God. How come having issues to accept, embrace and love the most precious gift of all? Is it pride? What's going on?

:confused:

I do not see it that way.

People can be unsure because Satan promotes thoughts, words, and deeds that can obscure, darken, or weaken our view of God and our Lord Jesus Christ. We as mortals can fear the loss. Christ is probably shaking his head, but is taking pride and feeling joy as we wobble to him and our father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've struggled with doubt constantly over my two decades as a believer. I know how hard it is and how one minute you feel intimately close to the Lord and then the next day you feel as if you've lost your salvation or grown cold. Believe me, if there were a record for the number of times the sinner's prayer has been said I would take the gold. I repeat it multiple times throughout the day just to make sure I'm really saved and that God knows I'm sincere about knowing Him and believing what Christ did on the cross.

I admire those believers who are sure and constantly on fire for the Lord. I pray one day I can get there too, thought the doubt is good simply because I know I care enough to wrestle with it. I'd be far more concerned about someone who doubts and has no real concern about their salvation. If you're worried then at least you're on the right track.:)

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've struggled with doubt constantly over my two decades as a believer. I know how hard it is and how one minute you feel intimately close to the Lord and then the next day you feel as if you've lost your salvation or grown cold. Believe me, if there were a record for the number of times the sinner's prayer has been said I would take the gold. I repeat it multiple times throughout the day just to make sure I'm really saved and that God knows I'm sincere about knowing Him and believing what Christ did on the cross.

I admire those believers who are sure and constantly on fire for the Lord. I pray one day I can get there too, thought the doubt is good simply because I know I care enough to wrestle with it. I'd be far more concerned about someone who doubts and has no real concern about their salvation. If you're worried then at least you're on the right track.:)

You need to study the Epistles of Paul. Study is the key word here.

Upvote 0

ParentofChildren

Wanderer
Nov 4, 2006
✟9,005.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I repeat the serenity prayer,,, God grant me...

Upvote 0