Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In a word - NO! It is a satanic, cult-like organisation that has far too much power.

Satanic? Cult-like? Freemasonry is a faternal organization, not a religion.

Like the illuminati.

Are you refering to the Bavarian organization that was outlawed more than two hundred years ago, or to the fictional organization that appears in the works of Dan Brown and that exists only in the minds of conspiracy theorists?

Yes, one can be a Mason and a Christian.

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think one can be a freemason and a Christian. One can be there for freindship and to help with the good owrks they do. But I think one has to be clear that masonism isn't a way to Jesus. Nor are the works going to get God to show favor on people.

dayhiker

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0
B

BrBob

Personally I cannot be a Mason and a Christian because of the oaths taken to become one and to advance in the organization. When the oaths are examined it is plain to my eyes that there is a swearing of allegiance to 'other than Christ' and at some of the higher levels I believe that there is swearing allegiance to either Satan himself or, at least, his demons.

So, can a Christian be a Mason? Yes, I believe he can but should he? Absolutely not!

Bob
Spearfish, SD

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally I cannot be a Mason and a Christian because of the oaths taken to become one and to advance in the organization. When the oaths are examined it is plain to my eyes that there is a swearing of allegiance to 'other than Christ' and at some of the higher levels I believe that there is swearing allegiance to either Satan himself or, at least, his demons.

But the only place that these so-called "oaths" are found is in anti-Masonic boks and on anti-Masonic websites. Several of these have been proven to be fake.

I am not a mason, but my father was both a Mason and a devout Christian who would never have sworn allegiance to anyone "other than Christ."

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is probably worth noting that Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, General George Marshall and Theodore Roosevelt were all Masons.

I highly doubt that any of them would have sworn allegiance to Satan or his demons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CountedWise

Feb 12, 2007
✟15,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What Freemasons say they believe in and what they practice are not the same. They say they believe in God. But they were first formed in the Temple of Isis as a sort of union to keep stop others from obtaining work that they wanted. They are not allowed to name Jesus at their ceremonies. The name Freemason is a term that they gave themselves during The Middle Ages. It stems from the term free stone mason, who were the builders of the Churches. Before that they were called Pharisees which means "of the Pharaohs".
Christianity is not something to wear on your sleeve, as freemasons do. It is something you keep in your heart.
They teach something called "Truth & Consequences". It means you must believe a lie as the truth or you will face the consequences.
What freemasons practice and what Jesus taught are two completely different things. Jesus taught that love is the key to the Kingdom of Heaven. What they teach is very similar to Gnostic religion. The belief that you can learn the password and enter heaven regardless of what sins you commit.
Decide for yourself. But most of the freemasons I've met have been willing to backstab an innocent man to work their way up.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Its actually a requirement to believe in God to become a Freemason. Numerous Anglican Bishops have been Freemasons.
Yes, but you can be a Muslim, Jew, or even a Hindu to become a Freemason I believe. That is one reason why I object to Christians being Freemasons. Here are some more reasons on this website:

http://bibleprobe.com/freemasonry.htm

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What Freemasons say they believe in and what they practice are not the same. They say they believe in God. But they were first formed in the Temple of Isis as a sort of union to keep stop others from obtaining work that they wanted.

That is a myth, one of several myths used to explain the origins of Freemasonry. The following, from Wikipedia, is more factual:

"Beyond myth, there is a distinct absence of documentation as to Freemasonry’s origins, which has led to a great deal of speculation among historians and pseudo-historians alike, both from within and from outside the fraternity. Hundreds of books have been written on the subject. Much of the content of these books is highly speculative, and the precise origins of Freemasonry may very well be permanently lost to history. Some believe the scant evidence that is available points to the origins of Freemasonry as a fraternity that simply evolved out of the lodges of operative stonemasons of the Middle Ages. Others have disputed whether stone masons were ever organized formally into guilds and have criticized the suggestion that Freemasonry evolved out of such organizations as a trite myth, stemming merely from the fact that the fraternity uses stone masonry as the core allegory for the organization of its symbolism. In any event, the matter of the origins of Freemasonry continues to puzzle and mystify historians."

But most of the freemasons I've met have been willing to backstab an innocent man to work their way up.

Most of the Masons who I know are decent hard-working people who give much of their time and talents for charity.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
I think it is unwise to bind oneself by an oath to keep secrets. Therefore, I consider it unwise for a Christian to become a Mason.

My Christian tradition tends to take Jesus' instruction not to swear oaths very seriously, even to the point of not swearing oaths in court. I realize not all Christians are as scrupulous about oaths.

Secrecy is not usually a good thing. Jesus said: [bible]John 3:19[/bible]

I do NOT say a Christian cannot be a Freemason. I do not call it idolatry. However, I think it is unwise for a Christian to bind oneself by an oath to a secret organization. If one later realizes the oath was unwise, they, like Jephthah, will have harmed their own integrity. Avoiding all oaths, and especially oaths of secrecy, is more consistent with maintaining Christian integrity. Foreseeing and avoiding future crises of integrity (even if the risk is small) is a matter of wisdom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟24,848.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My understanding is that Freemasonry is mixed with a lot of other beliefs contrary to Christianity including swearing an oath on the Koran.

I believe that being in such an organization in fact places the individual in perpetual sin through the act of scandal.
You are incorrect about the Koran.
Only incoming Masons who are Moslems would swear on the Koran. Christians swear on the Bible, Jews on (I presume) the Torah (or Tanach or Talmud? Anyone know?).
I can't see being a Mason a continuing sin above being a Roman Catholic or Seventh Day Adventist or (name any denomination) that has scandalous aspects. That said, I know too much about the Freemasons to be one in good conscience. For many people, however, to become a Freemason would be a wholesome upgrade.
The minimalists say Freemasonry originated in 1717 in England. It seems to incorporate Rosicrucianism that goes back two centuries earlier, however.
There again, I know too much about Rosicrucianism to be a Rosicrucian, yet my own Christian beliefs are not far from Rosicrucianism.
Korah.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
i believe a christian can be a freemason, just like a christian can be a sinner, or a zoologist or anything else, it's just i would not like to be in their shoes come the judgement when each man is rewarded according to his works in life.

Steve

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i believe a christian can be a freemason, just like a christian can be a sinner, or a zoologist or anything else, it's just i would not like to be in their shoes come the judgement when each man is rewarded according to his works in life.

Excuse me, but aren't all Christians sinners? We are forgiven, that doesn't mean that we are without sin.

Among the "works in life" of Masons are the Shriner's Childrens Hospitals that provide free care to burn victims and the Knights Templar Eye Foundation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.