1. New: Christian Forums Staff Recruit Video.- It's that time of year again. We are having our annual Staff Recruit Drive. Simply ask any staffer to help you apply and enjoy the video...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Please help us test our new CF PrayPal app available right now in the Google Play store for Android devices. The iPhone app should be available within the next few days. If you would be so kind to also add a review for it that would be great! Thanks!

Just Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a believer forfeit salvation?

Discussion in 'Spirit-Filled / Charismatic' started by JimB, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopeinGod

hopeinGod A voice crying in the wilderness

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    I remain astonished, or as the KJV says, astonied, at the many thousands upon thousands of believers who initially believe in justification by grace, then in the next instant, switch to justification by works. Why is it that once a person is justified, his sanctification -- which is a distinctly separate work -- becomes the guide to his justification?

We are justified in the spirit by God's mercy and grace, and are sanctified as we continue in the Word, are obedient to the God's voice, and motify the deeds of the flesh. These are separate works. They are not connected to one another in any way.

If I accept Christ today, and tomorrow choose not to grow up in Him, even to cast off every thought of Christ, I am still forever justified by grace, not works. Works never justified me, and will not keep me justified.

Salvation is a threefold work: justification, sanctification and glorification. They are separate acts of God. The spirit is made perfect at the moment we receive Christ, and nothing is able to separate us from that gift, not height, nor depth, nor any other creature can separate us from the love of God, for He promised Himself regarding our justification, and has never indicated otherwise.

His lovingkindness will he not utterly take from us nor suffer His faithfulness to fail.

If we fail to go on in obedience after we've received Christ, we lose REWARD in heaven, not entrance.

It is no wonder the innumerable extremes that are born out of the Charismatic and Pentecostal sects. For if one is not convinced he is saved by grace, he will do all manner of silly and excessive things in an attempt to maintain it.

Dave

2. dmhforJesus

dmhforJesus Living EVERYDAY for God !!!

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    I remain astonished, or as the KJV says, astonied, at the many believers who think that someone who doesnt believe the same way they believe about OSAS -

that it AUTOMATICALLY & ALWAYS means we think we get to heaven by works.

Is it that? "That" is the only argument they have against OSNAS - it sure seems to be because that is the only point they address when a salvation thread comes up.

Go back and read all the post NO ONE has been preaching about works!!

And I guess that trying to be obedient and move through the sanctification process into the glorification process is just silly little mannerisms that us Pentecostals go thru :scratch:

Oh oh I forgot about jumping up on one foot 32 times, rubbing my head and patting my tummy and clicking my heels to go home 3 times - those must be the "silly" things you were talking about that us Pentecostals do. Cause I know you weren't referring to how we witness to people, minister in prisons & nursing homes, feed the hungry and assemble bibles for people in foreign countries. Because none of those things are EVER necessary in the kingdom of God. Who cares if the Nigerians have bibles in their native tongue, or un saved people reside in prisons and nursing homes with no way of getting to the Word of God until someone reaches out to them.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  3. hopeinGod

hopeinGod A voice crying in the wilderness

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    It doesn't take a scholar to read through what goes on in the minds of those who are not convinced of God's finished work of justification, once a person repents.

For some reason, immediately they are approached by well-meaning Spirit-filled believers who think they know the Word, but have not even dented it in regard to threefold man: spirit, soul and body. They know nothing of the distinctions held within justification, sanctification and glorification. Why? Because they have not learned to rightly divide the word of truth. Because everytime they see the word save and saved, or perfect and perfection, their minds immediately race to justification.

Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved; yet, only if we keep these things in memory are we saved.....these are the great stumblingblocks to those who know nothing of the threefold working of salvation. They simply heap any verse with the word saved in it and say it is all justification.

Hebrews tells us that the spirit of a just man is made perfect, yet also in the 6th chapter, we are told that we must go on to perfection. And so, once again, these two verses are improperly interpreted to both mean justification....and so the works to stay saved continue to bind many in time-wasting activities that are designed to keep them justified.

It's sad, but a very active disease at work in the thinking of most Pentecostals and Charismatics.

Dave

4. dmhforJesus

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Pentecostal

Wow - dont be so deceived........you are taking two entire denominations and heaping them into one huge pile of people that you think cannot rightly divide the word based SOLELY on what you believe, when you really have no idea what I believe. Is that the disease of spiritual pride or ignorance :scratch:

Yes this is sad.

5. Didaskalos

Didaskalos He is Lord Of ALL

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    works
    works
    works
    works
    works
    works
    works
    works
    works
    GRACE!!!!!
    works
    works
    works
    works
    works
    works
    works
    works

6. dmhforJesus

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    was this supposed to be for me?
    cause if so you should read around and find out more about how I think before u jump in the boat with hopeingod to persecute another Christian over something you haven't a clue about.

7. TheMatmanReturns

TheMatmanReturns Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    We are indeed justified by grace ... through faith.

Abandon your faith and you will also abandon grace. Without grace, how then can there be justification?

Works has nothing to do with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.