Can 1 Corinthians 13:11 be quoted as a discussion on Salvation?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But you agreed that you only know in part, you changed your view about being like Einstein, knowing like a genius...

No I didn't. I always believed that we looked thru a glass darkly. However, this does not mean I am saying that putting away childish things is the equivalent of the knowledge of God that we have now, though. I do not believe "putting away of childish things" in 1 Corinthians 13:11 is talking about the knowledge of God we have now (like you do apparently). I believe the putting away of childish things are the things mentioned previously by Paul in verses 1-8 (like being "puffed up" etc.).

Have a great day.

May God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟83,580.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I didn't. In no way did I say that putting away childish things is the equivalent of the knowledge of God that we have now.

Have a great day.

May God bless you.

But you said Paul wanted the Corinthians to become mature, fully knowledgeable. How can they become mature when it is possible only when we see Christ face to face?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But you said Paul wanted the Corinthians to become mature, fully knowledgeable. How can they become mature when it is possible only when we see Christ face to face?

Have a great day.
May God bless you.

And good bye.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟83,580.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May God bless you.

Because sharing Bible knowledge wasn't going to benefit the church, because they were undeveloped, but the better way, because it was already developed, complete, like a mature tree ready to bring forth fruit, was faith , hope and love?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible tells me, God's Word and the knowledge of God are not childish;
For it says God's Word is like treasure and it is a light unto my path.

For Proverbs 2:4 says we are to search for it as if it is silver,

And Psalms 119:105 says

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is a beautiful song inspired by Psalms 119:105,

Side Note:
Please take note that the artistic representations of Jesus in the video are not what I believe our Messiah actually looks like. Anyways, I hope those who feel God's Word is a treasure and a light for them will enjoy this video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZacharyB

charismatic believer for 23 years
Sep 24, 2015
✟16,678.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What does this word (butski) mean? Is it an insult? Am I a "butt ski"?

However, if they refuse to repent of the sin of murder, lying, adultery, etc. then that is a different matter.
IMO, people should be intelligent enough to realize it means "but".

IMO, refusing to repent of known deliberate sins is a salvation issue
(1 John 1:7-9, and continuing into Chapter 2).

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So I would say that the putting away of childish things (like being "puffed up" and "not having love") are salvation issues.
Well, since salvation begins with the New Birth, which means a babe in Christ is born at that point, putting away childish things could not possibly apply. All believers begin as little children, move on to young men, and then become fathers (1 Jn 2:13,14).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
IMO, people should be intelligent enough to realize it means "but".

People can spell swear words in a different way so as to use them to insult others. I (nor anyone else) do not know your intentions when you use words like that. Someone could think it could be a back handed insult. Even now, you are not providing any meaning to what the word or words "butski" even means. Please be clear in your communication. What does that word or words "butski" mean? Can you tell me now?

ZacharyB said:
IMO, refusing to repent of known deliberate sins is a salvation issue
(1 John 1:7-9, and continuing into Chapter 2).

So you believe baptism is a salvation issue?
That if they refuse to repent of such a sin (i.e. of not being baptized) they will not be saved?
Peter says it does not save us for the putting away of the filth of the flesh (i.e. sin) (1 Peter 3:21).
Do you not know that there are sins that lead unto death and sins that lead unto death? (1 John 5:16-18).
What are sins that lead unto death?
What are sins that do not lead unto death?

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟83,580.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And what it teaches us is that in this life our knowledge of God even through His word will be imperfect, seeing in a mirror, darkly. To be a blessing to the church through sharing from the Bible will just be feeble attempts at the task. Paul says he would show them a better way.

Did God and Christ teaching Israel improve them? No-ooooh! Did loving them improve Israel and humanity? Ye-sssss! All Christ's teachings proved futile, but greater love had no man than this but to lay down his life for his brother. When Christ lay down his life for us, the impact of the deed was multi valent. Volumes can be written about what benefits to humanity accrued from that single act. It's that complex and nuanced. Our mission is therefore to discover how we can share in Christ's work, and so receive a better resurrection. That's what Paul discovered and aimed for.

The Bible tells me, God's Word and the knowledge of God are not childish;
For it says God's Word is like treasure and it is a light unto my path.

For Proverbs 2:4 says we are to search for it as if it is silver,

And Psalms 119:105 says

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟83,580.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People can spell swear words in a different way so as to use them to insult others. I (nor anyone else) do not know your intentions when you use words like that. Someone could think it could be a back handed insult. Even now, you are not providing any meaning to what the word or words "butski" even means. Please be clear in your communication. What does that word or words "butski" mean? Can you tell me now?

So you believe baptism is a salvation issue?
That if they refuse to repent of such a sin (i.e. of not being baptized) they will not be saved?
Peter says it does not save us for the putting away of the filth of the flesh (i.e. sin) (1 Peter 3:21).
Do you not know that there are sins that lead unto death and sins that lead unto death? (1 John 5:16-18).
What are sins that lead unto death?
What are sins that do not lead unto death?

Boy you're so buttoned up, its not funny.

Lighten up, dude and check out these suffix-skis:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dlarkins/slang-pg.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Boy you're so buttoned up, its not funny.

Lighten up, dude and check out these suffix-skis:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dlarkins/slang-pg.htm

Who uses Jazz slang these days?

Not many people unless you are into Jazz and hang out with that inner circle.

Also, what does "butski" mean even in Jazz slang?

As for joking around:
Well, I believe there is a proper way to do that. But using words that could be taken the wrong way is not one of them.
For me, if the roles were reversed, and I was in his shoes, I would apologize for using a word that is not commonly understood by many.
If my intention was to be harmful in any way and then I were to turn around and say that I was joking, then that would not be good.

For the BIble says,

18 "Like a maniac shooting flaming arrows of death
19 is one who deceives their neighbor and says, “I was only joking!”
20 Without wood a fire goes out; without a gossip a quarrel dies down."
(Proverbs 26:18-20).

So if the word was in any way an insult, it would be like shooting arrows that were on fire at me.

But even if his intention was not without any kind of malice, the Bible tells us to be clear in our speech with others.

For Paul says he would rather speak 5 words with the understanding than 10,000 words without the understanding (1 Corinthians 14:19).

The fact that he is still not explaining what the word or words actually means concerns me.

The Bible says,

36 "But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned"
(Matthew 12:36-37).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And what it teaches us is that in this life our knowledge of God even through His word will be imperfect, seeing in a mirror, darkly. To be a blessing to the church through sharing from the Bible will just be feeble attempts at the task. Paul says he would show them a better way.

No. That is not what the Bible teaches. Your belief goes against Proverbs 2 and many other passages in Scripture that teach that God's Word is like treasure and a light to us. God's Word cannot be childish and also a light unto our path or like silver.

WK said:
Did God and Christ teaching Israel improve them? No-ooooh! Did loving them improve Israel and humanity? Ye-sssss! All Christ's teachings proved futile, but greater love had no man than this but to lay down his life for his brother.

So let me get this straight. Christ's teachings did not improve the lives of anyone? Christ just spoke mumbo jumbo? It seems to me like you just do not want to believe the words of Jesus (Which is wrong). Jesus says, "Why do you call me Lord, Lord, if you do not what I say?" (Luke 6:46). Jesus also says "if you love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15). Do you love Jesus as He says you should love Him (According to His Word)? Yes, it was good Christ laid his life but if you do not do what He says he likens such a person to beng like a fool who built his house upon the sand whereby when a storm came, the house fell greatly (as a result of that storm). (See Matthew 7:26-27).

WK said:
When Christ lay down his life for us, the impact of the deed was multi valent. Volumes can be written about what benefits to humanity accrued from that single act. It's that complex and nuanced. Our mission is therefore to discover how we can share in Christ's work, and so receive a better resurrection. That's what Paul discovered and aimed for.

Again, it is good Christ laid down his life for us. Without such a thing happening, nobody could be saved. Christ gave us entrance so as to be saved whereby He could live in us and work in our lives (Thru repentance). Jesus was also manifested to destroy the works of the devil (1 John 3:8). Christ was not just manifested to destroy the works of the devil at the cross, but also the works of the devil in a believer's life, too. For Jesus was concerned with his followers in livng more holy and righteous. And if you are against the words of Jesus then you are also against the teachings of Paul, too. For Paul essentially says if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of Godliness, they are proud and they know nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). James says, God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble (James 4:6).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟83,580.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. That is not what

teaches. Your belief goes against Proverbs 2 and many other passages in Scripture that teach that God's Word is like treasure and a light to us. God's Word cannot be childish and also a light unto our path or like silver.

So let me get this straight. Christ's teachings did not improve the lives of anyone? Christ just spoke mumbo jumbo? It seems to me like you just do not want to believe the words of Jesus (Which is wrong). Jesus says, "Why do you call me Lord, Lord, if you do not what I say?" (Luke 6:46). Jesus also says "if you love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15). Do you love Jesus as He says you should love Him (According to His Word)? Yes, it was good Christ laid his life but if you do not do what He says he likens such a person to beng like a fool who built his house upon the sand whereby when a storm came, the house fell greatly (as a result of that storm). (See Matthew 7:26-27).

Again, it is good Christ laid down his life for us. Without such a thing happening, nobody could be saved. Christ gave us entrance so as to be saved whereby He could live in us and work in our lives (Thru repentance). Jesus was also manifested to destroy the works of the devil (1 John 3:8). Christ was not just manifested to destroy the works of the devil at the cross, but also the works of the devil in a believer's life, too. For Jesus was concerned with his followers in livng more holy and righteous. And if you are against the words of Jesus then you are also against the teachings of Paul, too. For Paul essentially says if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of Godliness, they are proud and they know nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). James says, God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble (James 4:6).

Sin has a blinding effect.

The Cross removed sin. The scales fell away from many eyes.

The same people who persecuted persecuted Jesus repented and became followers of Jesus.

Go forth and do as Jesus did. Paul so teaches:

Phillipians 3: 8More than that, I now regard all things as liabilities compared to the far greater value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things – indeed, I regard them as dung! – that I may gain Christ, 9and be found in him, not because I have my own righteousness derived from the law, but because I have the righteousness that comes by way of Christ’s faithfulness – a righteousness from God that is in fact based on Christ’s faithfulness. 10My aim is to know him, to experience the power of his resurrection, to share in his sufferings, and to be like him in his death, 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Upvote 0