Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Interesting. My article looks at specific Scriptures while yours goes to a bunch of writings by Calvinists filled with tons of misrepresentations and the typical Calvinist revisionist history. Must be that tradition bug biting again. ;-) Looks a lot like Debate Tips #s 9-12 to me.

What I find interesting is that you believe this is a debate. This is a discussion. Nothing formal. At least not from the Arminian side…unless you count posting links debating or adding something of substance. Lol

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
THE BIBLE TEACHES US THAT WE ARE SAVED BY THE SPIRIT:

We are not made sons and daughters of God by our choice, our ability to discern the spiritual goodness of God or believe the Gospel. This ability to receive the Gospel is “lead by the Spirit.”

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. (Ro 8:14)
The Gospel is “revealed” “unto us by the Spirit.”

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. (1 Cor 2:10-13)
“no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.”

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. (1 Cor 12:3)

The Spirit “giveth life.”

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. (2 Cor 3:6)

The Spirit releases us from bondage and gives us freedom.

Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. (2 Cor 3:17-18)

THE BIBLE TEACHES THAT THE SPIRIT GIVES US REGENERATION:

The Lord performs the act of giving a new heart and it’s not contingent on the free will of man.

And the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live. (Deut 30:6)

How did you get to where you are today, sitting in church on Sunday’s, reading your Bible, struggling to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and strength?
God.

God brought you to where you are today. He gave you a knew heart. It was God that brought you to a place where you can believe on His dear son Jesus Christ.
And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: (Eze 11:19)
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. (Eze 36)

I’ll include a handy graphic that explains the order of salvation as presented in scripture.

ordosalutis_large1.jpg

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1)

You cannot control the operations of the Holy Spirit, not by your will or choice. God will do as He pleases and brings salvation to those He chooses.

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. (John 3:3-8)

The Spirit brings us to faith by raising the spiritually dead, giving them life…([bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]t, that’s what Calvin believed)

For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will. (Joh 5)

The Holy Spirit moves us from a state of spiritual death and decay to life.

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; (2 Cor 5;17-18)

It doesn’t matter what you do you cannot impress God. You can perform works, you may be a nice person, you could even claim to have faith but without the new birth performed by the Holy Spirit it means nothing. The Holy Spirit must move a “dead” sinner to life and belief.

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. (Gal 6:15)

Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved; ) (Eph 2:5)

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Eph 2:10)

The Bible teaches that due to sin fallen man cannot believe in the Gospel.

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; (Col 2:13)

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (Tit 3:15)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, (1 Pet 1:3)

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. (1 Pet 1:23)

In our fallen state the Holy Spirit regenerates our soul. This is a gracious act of God. Amen.

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
THE BIBLE TEACHES THAT THE GOSPEL IS NOT GIVEN TO ALL:

We fail to recognize the sinfulness of sin if we believe the Gospel is discerned in the flesh and therefore something we can believe in on our own. The Bible teaches us that sin kills, we are dead in sin, can do nothing to be saved and that the Gospel is hidden from us until revealed to us by God.

At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. (Matt 11:25-27)

And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. (Matt 13:10-11, 16)

The Arminian free will tradition gives too much credit to man in the flesh. “for flesh and blood hath not revealed it…”

The truth of the Gospel is revealed to us.

He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. (Matt16)

And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand. (Luke 8:10)

In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight. (Luke 10:21)

The Holy Spirit draws sinners to Christ for salvation.

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. (John 6)

The biblical quotations above demonstrates how the Holy Spirit gives us hearing, learning and an explanation of the parables. Now we read how “every man” “that hath heard” will be “raised” up for salvation.

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. (John 6)

The Bible teaches that only those given the ability by the Holy Spirit will come to faith in Christ.

But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. (John 6)

God calls His people, not everyone to believe.

To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them. (John 10:3-6)

Speaking to national Israel Christ tells them He has other sheep, Gentile sheep, that He will call. God’s calling under the new covenant of grace is not based along ethnic lines.

And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. (John 10)

You cannot believe unless you are one of Christ’s sheep.

But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. (John 10)

The Gospel is spiritual. That is why you must be called to believe in Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit, that is the only way to discern the Gospel.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor 2)

Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

We are not made sons and daughters of God by our choice, our ability to discern the spiritual goodness of God or believe the Gospel. This ability to receive the Gospel is “lead by the Spirit.”

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. (Ro 8:14)

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. (1 Cor 2:10-13)

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. (1 Cor 12:3)

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. (2 Cor 3:6)

Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. (2 Cor 3:17-18)

The Lord performs the act of giving a new heart and it’s not contingent on the free will of man.

And the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live. (Deut 30:6)

How did you get to where you are today, sitting in church on Sunday’s, reading your Bible, struggling to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and strength?
God.

God brought you to where you are today. He gave you a knew heart. It was God that brought you to a place where you can believe on His dear son Jesus Christ.
And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: (Eze 11:19)
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. (Eze 36)

I’ll include a handy graphic that explains the order of salvation as presented in scripture.

ordosalutis_large1.jpg

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1)

You cannot control the operations of the Holy Spirit, not by your will or choice. God will do as He pleases and brings salvation to those He chooses.

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. (John 3:3-8)

The Spirit brings us to faith by raising the spiritually dead, giving them life…([bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]t, that’s what Calvin believed)

For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will. (Joh 5)

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; (2 Cor 5;17-18)

It doesn’t matter what you do you cannot impress God. You can perform works, you may be a nice person, you could even claim to have faith but without the new birth performed by the Holy Spirit it means nothing. The Holy Spirit must move a “dead” sinner to life and belief.

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. (Gal 6:15)

Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved; ) (Eph 2:5)

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Eph 2:10)

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; (Col 2:13)

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (Tit 3:15)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, (1 Pet 1:3)

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. (1 Pet 1:23)

In our fallen state the Holy Spirit regenerates our soul. This is a gracious act of God. Amen.

Amazing Post! Love the picture, I am a visual learner...

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0

kangaroodort

Jan 8, 2016
NH
✟10,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What I find interesting is that you believe this is a debate. This is a discussion. Nothing formal. At least not from the Arminian side…unless you count posting links debating or adding something of substance. Lol
I am pretty sure I have posted quite a bit more than links. And what is the difference between posting a link and copying and pasting entire posts or articles or charts in the thread? It is certainly a discussion, but we are also debating several issues here. Posting links at times doesn't change that. You must have a very narrow understanding of what "debate" means. But your response here is just a red herring anyway as it does not address what I said at all. Maybe that is why you don't think this is a debate?

Upvote 0

kangaroodort

Jan 8, 2016
NH
✟10,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
THE BIBLE TEACHES THAT THE GOSPEL IS NOT GIVEN TO ALL:

We fail to recognize the sinfulness of sin if we believe the Gospel is discerned in the flesh and therefore something we can believe in on our own. The Bible teaches us that sin kills, we are dead in sin, can do nothing to be saved and that the Gospel is hidden from us until revealed to us by God.

At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. (Matt 11:25-27)

And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. (Matt 13:10-11, 16)

The Arminian free will tradition gives too much credit to man in the flesh. “for flesh and blood hath not revealed it…”

The truth of the Gospel is revealed to us.

He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. (Matt16)

And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand. (Luke 8:10)

In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight. (Luke 10:21)

The Holy Spirit draws sinners to Christ for salvation.

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. (John 6)

The biblical quotations above demonstrates how the Holy Spirit gives us hearing, learning and an explanation of the parables. Now we read how “every man” “that hath heard” will be “raised” up for salvation.

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. (John 6)

The Bible teaches that only those given the ability by the Holy Spirit will come to faith in Christ.

But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. (John 6)

God calls His people, not everyone to believe.

To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them. (John 10:3-6)

Speaking to national Israel Christ tells them He has other sheep, Gentile sheep, that He will call. God’s calling under the new covenant of grace is not based along ethnic lines.

And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. (John 10)

You cannot believe unless you are one of Christ’s sheep.

But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. (John 10)

The Gospel is spiritual. That is why you must be called to believe in Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit, that is the only way to discern the Gospel.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor 2)
Man, talk about wild prooftexting. And more blatant misrepresentations of Armianinism woven in between the prooftexts. Disappointing. I would encourage anyone to check out my blog where I address just about every prooftext that is brought up here and show how they do not support the Calvinist view when read in context and when the actual language is carefully considered. God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kangaroodort

Jan 8, 2016
NH
✟10,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God.

ordosalutis_large1.jpg

For the many theological absurdities that result from the Calvinist ordo salutis, see here: https://arminianperspectives.wordpr...inist-ordo-salutis-a-brief-comparative-study/

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I am pretty sure I have posted quite a bit more than links. And what is the difference between...
Don't cry bro. It'll be ok. If this was a debate you'd be in trouble. The op asks "why are you a Calvinist" not why tradition is so important we should try to explain away biblical doctrine. haha.

Man, talk about wild prooftexting.

Interesting. My posts look at specific Scriptures while yours goes to a bunch of ramblings filled with tons of misrepresentations and the typical traditionalism. Must be that tradition bug biting again. ;-) Oh snap!

I use scripture and you claim I'm proof texting...I post an article using history and I get charged with revisionism. Don't cry homie.

Have you noticed that nobody has addressed John 5 yet? Unless I missed it. If so, please refer me to where it was addressed.

I will get to John 5, maybe, but you are being very rude by changing the topic “why are you a Calvinist” to “why you should be an Arminian.” It might surprise you but, and it may be difficult for an Arminian to understand, it’s not all about YOU. That’s the whole point of Calvinism. Now, I will come back to John 5 after I have sufficiently answered the question asked of Calvinists. You have shifted the emphasis from God to man. This was not about Arminianism but you did, in typical Arminian fashion, turn this into a thread about man.

Atta boi.

jm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
THE BIBLE TEACHES THAT FAITH AND REPENTANCE ARE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT:

Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins. (Acts 5)

“granted repentance unto life”

When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life. (Acts 11)

Lydia, dead in sin and unable to respond to the spiritual offer of the Gospel was granted repentance. The revealed word of God demonstrates in Acts 5 that Israel was also “given” repentance. By post #10 it should be apparent that I seek to give a consistent witness to the Doctrines of Grace/Calvinism using both the Old and New Testaments. A consistent doctrine cannot be maintained by the Arminian free will tradition.

And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul. (Acts 16)

Due to sin we are called by Christ and “believed through grace:”

And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace: (Acts 18)

Look at any Greek grammar and you’ll find that “grace” and “faith” are summed up by “and that not of yourselves.” Both grace and faith are given by God.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Eph 2)

We are given grace and faith on behalf of Christ and Christ alone.

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; (Phil 1:29)

Repentance is given by God.

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will. (2 Tim 2)

THE BIBLE TEACHES THAT WHEN THE HOLY SPIRIT CALLS A SINNER IT IS EFFECTUAL:

Saints are “called” by God.

Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ: To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. (Ro 1)

“Predestined” and “called” by God.

Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. (Ro 8)

And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? (Ro 9)

A biblical pattern can be established, just as Paul was “called with a purpose,” so are we.

Paul called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother. Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their’s and our’s:

Christ’s sheep hear His voice…

God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. (1 Cor 1)
But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. (Gal 1)

The Saints are “called by his grace.” Those who are not called are not Christ’s sheep.

But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb, and called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: (1 Cor 1)

Called by God…

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; (Eph 4:4)

Our calling is not based on something within us but “according to his own purpose.”

Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, (2 Tim 1:9)

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. (Heb 9:15)

Jude was “called.” Those who are called will believe.

Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: (Jude 1)

But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; (1 Peter 1)

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; (1 Pet 2:9)

But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. (1 Pet 5)

The calling is not according to our will power as the free will proponent would have us believe but according to “divine power.”

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: (2 Pet 1:3)

Those that are “called, and chosen, and faithful” will overcome in Christ Jesus. Amen.

These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful. (Rev 17)

One of the errors Arminians cling to is known as “prevenient grace.” This form of grace is thought to prepare the sinner by assisting them to believe binding total libertarian free will with the scriptural idea of salvation by Christ alone through faith, but it creates other problems. The Arminian notion was predated in Romanism and stated at the Council of Trent (session 6, canon 5) as “stimulating” and “assisting” grace. This idea runs contrary to scripture, for example, we read that Lydia’s“heart was opened” (Acts 16) before she could attend unto the things Paul spoke of. The Papist and Arminian believes this is a prime example of God attempting, trying His hardest to offer the Gospel to someone by giving them a measure of “assisting” grace. The person receiving this so-called grace is given the chance to accept or reject the Gospel. Unfortunately not everyone has the chance to even hear the Gospel, let alone reject it, so any idea of God sending preparing grace is not worth debating. It’s a weak attempt to avoid a biblical conclusion. If grace is not given to all equally the free will works religion falls apart, for a mass of humanity has never had a chance to even have the Gospel preached to them. The point is inconsistent with scripture as I have shown above and throughout these posts. I only mention the idea because, I believe, predestination is still contained within the concept for God only gives “prevenient grace” to those who hear the Gospel and the Gospel is not preached to everyone everywhere. The free will notion of prevenient grace is still limited. Clearly, the experience Lydia had was foretold in Eze. 36 and was in reference to the new birth, “A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.” (see also Hebrews 8) This is regeneration by the Holy Spirit and not “assisting” grace.

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
THE BIBLE TEACHES THAT SALVATION IS GIVEN BY OUR SOVEREIGN GOD:

Whatever God commands, wills and ordains will be accomplished. If God seeks to save that which was lost, have faith, He will save them.

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isa 55:11)

The Arminian free will tradition teaches that we are to “get saved” by conceding to the truth of the Gospel which leads to our spiritual regeneration. This is often called “decisional regeneration,” where the creatures faith acts as the key ingredient to kick start our salvation. Salvation is given through Jesus Christ alone, based on the love of God and His mercy toward us, and not gained through our actions. John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. (Joh 3:27)

The modern Evangelical tradition supporting free will believes that Christ desperately wants to save all of humanity but is not able to do so because of libertarian free will. Christ was sent to “seek and save that which was lost” and will accomplish what He sets out to do for He has “power over all flesh” and will give freely to “as many as” God the Father “hast given him.”

As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. (John 17:2)

Salvation is freely given and not based on the will of man.

So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. (Rom 9:16)

I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. (1 Cor 3:6-7)

It is God who makes the difference.

For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it? (1 Cor 4)

Even our good works after spiritual regeneration find their beginning in God.

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. (Phil 2:12-13)

We are born again, “begat“ by the word of truth, it is given to us and not gained by our actions.

Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. (Jam 1:18)

We have an understanding of spiritual things because it was “given” to us.

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. (1 Joh 5:20)

PS: If I were to pick a freewill, works based religion it would be something with meat on it. Something like Romanism or Orthodox, smells and bells baby!

Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
THE BIBLE TEACHES THAT SALVATION IS GIVEN BY OUR SOVEREIGN GOD:

Whatever God commands, wills and ordains will be accomplished. If God seeks to save that which was lost, have faith, He will save them.

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isa 55:11)

The Arminian free will tradition teaches that we are to “get saved” by conceding to the truth of the Gospel which leads to our spiritual regeneration. This is often called “decisional regeneration,” where the creatures faith acts as the key ingredient to kick start our salvation. Salvation is given through Jesus Christ alone, based on the love of God and His mercy toward us, and not gained through our actions. John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. (Joh 3:27)

The modern Evangelical tradition supporting free will believes that Christ desperately wants to save all of humanity but is not able to do so because of libertarian free will. Christ was sent to “seek and save that which was lost” and will accomplish what He sets out to do for He has “power over all flesh” and will give freely to “as many as” God the Father “hast given him.”

As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. (John 17:2)

Salvation is freely given and not based on the will of man.

So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. (Rom 9:16)

I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. (1 Cor 3:6-7)

It is God who makes the difference.

For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it? (1 Cor 4)

Even our good works after spiritual regeneration find their beginning in God.

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. (Phil 2:12-13)

We are born again, “begat“ by the word of truth, it is given to us and not gained by our actions.

Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. (Jam 1:18)

We have an understanding of spiritual things because it was “given” to us.

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. (1 Joh 5:20)

PS: If I were to pick a freewill, works based religion it would be something with meat on it. Something like Romanism or Orthodox, smells and bells baby!

Smells and Bells! omgosh hilarious!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Here's another image worth a gander. I believe it's by William Perkins.

Golden%20Chain.png
Arminian theologists thoughts about you by now: Acts of the Apostles 26:24 :)
Seriously though, JM, I am glad you are on my side!

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm just cranky and should apologize for my sarcasm. Arminians miss the point of the-(God)-ology and it gets me frustrated. We go round and round over the same issues. Arminians point to man and his contribution to salvation and the Calvinist points to God alone. I post a text. They post a text. It never stops.

I realize God is teaching me patience and one day I will have it!!

Until then I'll will glory in Christ alone,
Salvation was given not got.
for there is nothing I did on my own,
The price for my sin Christ bought.

He gave freely of His grace,
Now I stand forgiven in the Son.
My harden heart He replaced,
Through Christ alone I have won!

(Not the best verse in the world but it was off the top of my head.)

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Arminian theologists thoughts about you by now: Acts of the Apostles 26:24 :)
Seriously though, JM, I am glad you are on my side!

Hahaha! So funny!

And as he thus made his defense, Festus saith with a loud voice, Paul, thou art mad; thy much learning is turning thee mad. Acts 26:24

Upvote 0

kangaroodort

Jan 8, 2016
NH
✟10,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm just cranky and should apologize for my sarcasm. Arminians miss the point of the-(God)-ology and it gets me frustrated. We go round and round over the same issues. Arminians point to man and his contribution to salvation and the Calvinist points to God alone. I post a text. They post a text. It never stops.

I realize God is teaching me patience and one day I will have it!!

Until then I'll will glory in Christ alone,
Salvation was given not got.
for there is nothing I did on my own,
The price for my sin Christ bought.

He gave freely of His grace,
Now I stand forgiven in the Son.
My harden heart He replaced,
Through Christ alone I have won!

(Not the best verse in the world but it was off the top of my head.)

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I appreciate this, but it is unfortunate that it had to include another misrepresentation of Arminianism woven in to the comment: "Arminians point to man and his contribution to salvation and the Calvinist points to God alone."

No Arminian claims to "contribute" to their salvation, nor does our soteriology imply any such thing. Meeting a God ordained condition for receiving salvation is not the same as a "contribution" (it is not hard to think of all sorts of real world examples of this). That means that if we freely receive a gift (even if we are able to reject it) we somehow "contribute" to the gift just by receiving it. That is plainly absurd. This has been pointed out over and over again in many different ways, and yet we still get comments like this over and over again. What do we call that? We call that a straw man. Why is it that Calvinists see "straw man" arguments in just about everything Arminians say, but can't seem to recognize them in their own argumentation? I believe that God alone saves and I make no "contribution" to that salvation as much as any Calvinist, because receiving a free and undeserved gift does not contribute to the gift, nor does meeting a condition for receiving a gift contribute to the gift either.

You don't have to keep pressing this invalid point to make Calvinism sound superior. There may still be valid reasons for holding to Calvinism, but this argument doesn't cut it and it is a blatant misrepresentation of what Arminians actually believe.

And on final note, I would say that the Arminian view is the only view that really makes sense of why faith excludes boasting and why faith is not considered a work. Here is why:

In traditional Calvinism all we do is the result of an irresistible eternal decree (if you object to my use of "irresistible" decree, just ask yourself if it is possible to do anything contrary to God's eternal decree?). That is why we keep hearing from Calvinists here that we do not have libertarian free will. So in Calvinism, the reason faith is not a work and excludes boasting is because God gives it irresistibly, or causes it irresistibly. But how is that different than anything else if exhaustive decretal determinism is true? In that case it is just as true that "works" are irresistibly caused by God. Even if you deny this, God could have just as easily made "works" the condition for receiving salvation and simply irresistibly caused the elect to meet that condition just as well as (or instead) of faith. Works could exclude boasting just as well as faith could.

In other words, if the issue is about irresistible causation, then Paul's distinction between faith and works doesn't make much sense. But it does make sense if it is the difference between self-effort to earn something vs. simple trust. It makes sense in the context of faith receiving a free and undeserved gift while works looks to earn something (something that can never be earned), as Paul states clearly in Rom. 4. Paul is not saying that faith is not works and excludes boasting because it is irresistibly given from God. Paul is appealing to the very nature of faith itself (the "law" or "principle" of faith) as the reason it is not a work and excludes boasting. And that is because it is simple trust in Christ to do for us what he cannot do for ourselves: save us. It really is that simple, despite Calvinist efforts to complicate it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kangaroodort

Jan 8, 2016
NH
✟10,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't cry bro. It'll be ok. If this was a debate you'd be in trouble. The op asks "why are you a Calvinist" not why tradition is so important we should try to explain away biblical doctrine. haha.

Nobody crying here. I must admit that this sounds a little condescending for someone whose Theology is supposed to be so grace centered and humility producing. Strange. I know what the OP states, but it turned into more than that long before I started posting. Go back and look at the comments that came before mine.

Feel free to point out those misrepresentations or traditions based on my comments. I would be happy to address them if you specifically interact with my comments.

I use scripture and you claim I'm proof texting...I post an article using history and I get charged with revisionism. Don't cry homie.

Nobody crying here, and no need to call me "homie." I pointed out in several posts exactly why your history lessons are not accurate. Feel free to interact with those posts and comments. As far as prooftexts, here is something you said to someone a while back:

Now, if I post a verse without giving a context, or explanation as to what I think it teaches...is that intellectually acceptable?

Of course not.

Now you may have said a few things in between some of the passages as far as what you think they mean, but many of them are missing important context and what you say they mean does not line up with the actual language. It would take tons of time and a lot of effort to interact with the myriad of prooftexts you offer, which makes it hard to have much of a discussion. Now if this is just your attempt to explain why "you" are a Calvinist, then I guess that would line up with the OP well enough. But there is much more than that. There is also ridicule and misrepresentation of the Arminian view and a lot of posts which seem to plainly be primarily for the purpose of persuading others to see things your way, rather than just stating what you happen to believe. Attempting to persuade others of your views (and trying to demonize the opposing view in the process) is a major feature of debate. But this isn't a debate?

I will get to John 5, maybe, but you are being very rude by changing the topic “why are you a Calvinist” to “why you should be an Arminian.”

But it changed to "why you should be a Calvinist" and "why Arminianism is mancentered traditions" long before my first comment here. So your rebuke is misplaced. I am looking forward to your comments on John 5.

It might surprise you but, and it may be difficult for an Arminian to understand, it’s not all about YOU.

I never suggested in anyway that it was about me, and being an Arminian has nothing to do with it one way or the other. Do you think it is all about YOU? One might draw that conclusion just by looking at the length and frequency of your posts.

That’s the whole point of Calvinism.

????

Now, I will come back to John 5 after I have sufficiently answered the question asked of Calvinists. You have shifted the emphasis from God to man. This was not about Arminianism but you did, in typical Arminian fashion, turn this into a thread about man.

Again, go back and look at how the discussion developed long before I got here. And just claiming that Arminianism is all about man and man centered over and over doesn't make it so. Nobody here has demonstrated that, only asserted it ad nauseum.

Atta boi.

More unnecessary condescending rhetoric to finish things off. Is that the fruit of God centered, grace filled, humility producing Calvinism? But you did apologize later for being "cranky", so I guess that counts for something. Too bad it still included a blatant misrepresentation of Arminianism in the process.

Upvote 0