Call 911 - get evicted

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was appalled this morning to read on on the USA Today link from a local news app on my ipad about this situation. I cannot find the article on the website but found another.

It seems that in Surprise AZ your landlord is REQUIRED to evict you if there are more than a certain number of calls to police or other emergency services within a given time period. Apparently there are thousands of communities across the country with similar "nuisance" ordinances on their books; and they ARE enforcing them.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/08/27/3696108/domestic-violence-nuisance-ordinances/

Reactions: brinny

Radicchio

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2007
San Clemente, CA
✟591,562.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I wonder if there is more to this story than just repeated calls to 911. Perhaps there is a safety/well being issue for the landlord to provide a safe environment for the other tenants. Just think if you lived in an apartment building where one of the renters was making repeated calls for the police to come out. How safe would you feel living in that situation? In the example cited it was a case of domestic violence. At some point rather than repeatedly calling the police, perhaps the victim should end the relationship and also get a restraining order.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I wonder if there is more to this story than just repeated calls to 911. Perhaps there is a safety/well being issue for the landlord to provide a safe environment for the other tenants. Just think if you lived in an apartment building where one of the renters was making repeated calls for the police to come out. How safe would you feel living in that situation? In the example cited it was a case of domestic violence. At some point rather than repeatedly calling the police, perhaps the victim should end the relationship and also get a restraining order.

What if you actually NEEDED the police all those times?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I was appalled this morning to read on on the USA Today link from a local news app on my ipad about this situation. I cannot find the article on the website but found another.

It seems that in Surprise AZ your landlord is REQUIRED to evict you if there are more than a certain number of calls to police or other emergency services within a given time period. Apparently there are thousands of communities across the country with similar "nuisance" ordinances on their books; and they ARE enforcing them.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/08/27/3696108/domestic-violence-nuisance-ordinances/

This is horrendous. It's even more horrendous that it's being embraced and is expanding.

Evicted?

This is soooooo wrong.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I finally found the USA Today story. Their title:
Cities to battered women: SHUT UP or GET OUT

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ction-women-police-ordinance-column/73082434/

"These ordinances are growing in popularity, usually in a misguided effort to reduce city budgets. Fortunately, some policymakers are responding to their profoundly inhumane effects. Pennsylvania and Illinois recently joined Minnesota in passing legislation that protects many crime victims who seek emergency assistance from punishment under local ordinances. In the past two years, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development have investigated cities in New Hampshire and Pennsylvania, recognizing how these ordinances can violate the Fair Housing Act.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I finally found the USA Today story. Their title:
Cities to battered women: SHUT UP or GET OUT

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ction-women-police-ordinance-column/73082434/

"These ordinances are growing in popularity, usually in a misguided effort to reduce city budgets. Fortunately, some policymakers are responding to their profoundly inhumane effects. Pennsylvania and Illinois recently joined Minnesota in passing legislation that protects many crime victims who seek emergency assistance from punishment under local ordinances. In the past two years, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development have investigated cities in New Hampshire and Pennsylvania, recognizing how these ordinances can violate the Fair Housing Act.

God have mercy. It's so easy to further victimize those who need protection, isn't it? Thank God that some are taking back sanity and counter-acting this injustice.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. As the USA Today article points out - they are blatantly unconstitutional in that they deny/limit citizens the 1st amendment right to petition the government.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Indeed. As the USA Today article points out - they are blatantly unconstitutional in that they deny/limit citizens the 1st amendment right to petition the government.

It's kinda scary that they managed to even bring this into effect.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's kinda scary that they managed to even bring this into effect.
Almost everyone affected by it has little or no access to legal help; so it has gone on for a while unchallenged.

Finally the ACLU picked up on it and has suits going thru a couple of state court systems. If they stick with it, it should be appealed to the SCOTUS, where it can be struck down nation wide.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Almost everyone affected by it has little or no access to legal help; so it has gone on for a while unchallenged.

Finally the ACLU picked up on it and has suits going thru a couple of state court systems. If they stick with it, it should be appealed to the SCOTUS, where it can be struck down nation wide.

i hope so!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums