Business Tithing

CarlVO

Nov 26, 2014
✟7,615.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone. New here to the forum, and new to (real) tithing. I have a question I have been pondering. I understand that I must tithe from my personal (employment) income as well as income from my business. I also understand that the business tithe should be from the actual profit of my business and not the gross revenue. But the question I have is what method I should use to tithe from my business. Should I tithe with two checks, one from my personal account and one from my business? Or should I just write one check from my personal account that covers the tithe from my personal income as well as my business income? I guess basically my question is, should I be tithing as one entity or two, myself and my business?

Thanks for any help and advice!

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone. New here to the forum, and new to (real) tithing. I have a question I have been pondering. I understand that I must tithe from my personal (employment) income as well as income from my business. I also understand that the business tithe should be from the actual profit of my business and not the gross revenue. But the question I have is what method I should use to tithe from my business. Should I tithe with two checks, one from my personal account and one from my business? Or should I just write one check from my personal account that covers the tithe from my personal income as well as my business income? I guess basically my question is, should I be tithing as one entity or two, myself and my business?

First: Hello! Welcome!

Could you share the actual scriptural support you have for this?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

CarlVO

Nov 26, 2014
✟7,615.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First: Hello! Welcome!

Could you share the actual scriptural support you have for this?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I'm not here to debate scripture, though. I'm simply asking for advice/support from someone with more knowledge and experience on the matter than myself.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the reply. I'm not here to debate scripture, though. I'm simply asking for advice/support from someone with more knowledge and experience on the matter than myself.

Would not that knowledge be based on our scripture?

I'd say you need to ask whoever is telling you this, and if nobody is telling you "this is so", then where did you get these ideas?

Upvote 0

CarlVO

Nov 26, 2014
✟7,615.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would not that knowledge be based on our scripture?

I'd say you need to ask whoever is telling you this, and if nobody is telling you "this is so", then where did you get these ideas?

If I had the answers, I would not be asking the questions. If you have some advice to offer then I would be glad to hear and consider it. Otherwise, please allow someone who does to answer my posts. It's easy for me to see that your are trying to stir a debate, and I am not going to get into that. I have my beliefs and I am seeking help from someone who has the same beliefs as me. If you do not share my beliefs, that is perfectly okay. I don't want to waste your time. But I would like support from someone who does. Thank you and God bless.

Upvote 0

CarlVO

Nov 26, 2014
✟7,615.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Friend, anytime you start a thread about "tithing", you're going to start a debate. It is and always will be a "hot topic".

Yes, I should have considered that before posting, I suppose. Maybe the best thing would be for me to just spend more time in prayer about it.

It is very disheartening to someone young in their faith that seasoned Christians can be so inclined to debate.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Should we encourage all Christians to only listen to what like minded people say about our faith, or should we be encouraged to actually read the scriptures and learn what the scripture tells us?

Is working together to understand the word of God something to be shunned or are we to just pick someone and follow whatever they say that we agree with?

I don't think it is a negative thing to question what man teaches, and compare it to what we have in our Bible.

Upvote 0

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it is a negative thing to question what man teaches, and compare it to what we have in our Bible.

I totally agree, but many folks are going to believe the way they have been taught to believe, they don't want to hear otherwise, and nothing will sway their opinion - even when the truth is staring them straight in the face.

That's why there are separate groups of like-minded Christians (even amongst the "non-denominational").

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CarlVO

Nov 26, 2014
✟7,615.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Should we encourage all Christians to only listen to what like minded people say about our faith, or should we be encouraged to actually read the scriptures and learn what the scripture tells us?

Is working together to understand the word of God something to be shunned or are we to just pick someone and follow whatever they say that we agree with?

I have read the scriptures for myself, and I have based my beliefs on what I have read, not only what I have been taught. Since I have already based MY beliefs on MY interpretation of scripture, I would simply like someone who shares the same beliefs to advise me on my original question.

No disrespect to you or anyone else on the forum. That's just where I'm at currently. Maybe another day, I'll engage you on your beliefs and interpretation of scripture. I'm an open-minded person...just not at this moment.

Upvote 0

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since I have already based MY beliefs on MY interpretation of scripture, I would simply like someone who shares the same beliefs to advise me on my original question.

Do you have like-minded folks at your house of worship that you can ask this question of?

Upvote 0

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should we not encourage our brothers and sisters in Christ to test everything with scripture? Or should we simply shrug our shoulders because they were "raised that way" or because their leader "said so"?

I don't believe in exercises in futility.

He asked that it not be discussed, so we shouldn't discuss it.

CarlVO, as the creator of this thread, you can ask a moderator to close/lock this thread for you if you desire and they will do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read the scriptures for myself, and I have based my beliefs on what I have read, not only what I have been taught. Since I have already based MY beliefs on MY interpretation of scripture, I would simply like someone who shares the same beliefs to advise me on my original question.

No disrespect to you or anyone else on the forum. That's just where I'm at currently. Maybe another day, I'll engage you on your beliefs and interpretation of scripture. I'm an open-minded person...just not at this moment.
CarlVO, I'm sorry to read that you've not experienced the nicest welcome to the forum.

While I disagree with you on "real" tithing, as you stated, that's not for debate. Respecting that, I find it almost comical that no one's actually responded to your OP; IOW, they don't know themselves, and would rather choose to debate.

That said, I'm a principal in a number of companies, and in response to your question, the answer is, that depends.

It depends on how you've structured your finances and accounting. Are you 100% beneficial holder, or do you have partners? Are you taking a salary, or management fees? Directly or through a holding company? Do you disburse dividends or not, and to whom? Etc etc.

Personally, I encourage my peers to structure their business operations with a corporate social responsibility plan whereby there is an intentional and directed contribution on a regular basis (for me it's quarterly) to a charity of their choosing. You can call it whatever you want to call it - a tithe, a gift, a tax deduction - and whether that's on net or gross profit, as an expense, from retained earnings or dividends, that's their call.

A tenth is a good starting point, because it's not only a good idea, but because it's a God idea. And if you can give more than a tenth, even better.

So bottom line, yes, give from your salary or management fee. And another yes, give from your company.

A warm welcome from me to the forums and hope you stick around! :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What is the nature of your business? Sole proprietorship? Partnership? LLC/LLP? Corporation? Each one would have different requirements, but the bottom line is that you tithe from YOUR fruits. That means that whatever finds its way into your own personal storehouse is the basis of your tithe. In the eyes of God, your business is not an entity and, unless it is a corporation, it isn't an entity in anyone's eyes.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What does the Holy Spirit tell you?

Upvote 0