Bush Praised for Defending Free Speech on Theory of Life's Origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(AgapePress) - President Bush is being praised for stating that public school students should be exposed to different schools of thought on the subject of the origins of life.

Earlier this week, the president told reporters that schools should feel free to include alternative theories to Darwinism, such as intelligent design, in their science curriculum. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas," he told reporters, "and the answer is yes."

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/8/52005f.asp

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
revolutio said:
I'm all for it, but I would prefer non-scientific things stay out of science class. Frankly I have always disliked school's touchiness on the subject of religion I think it would help to have more classes on the topic in public schools.

That's one thing I've never understood about the American public school system. Up here in Canada, no one really cares. I can remember high school classes where people argued about religion all of the time. Heck, I had a Jewish teacher who got students to wear a yarmulke (sp?) while he took pictures for a presentation.

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
Illuminatus said:
That's one thing I've never understood about the American public school system. Up here in Canada, no one really cares. I can remember high school classes where people argued about religion all of the time. Heck, I had a Jewish teacher who got students to wear a yarmulke (sp?) while he took pictures for a presentation.
Political Correctness has run amok. People censoring themselves to not offend others is one of the few things that really annoys me. The few teachers I particularly liked back in public school were the ones who talked to the students like adults and usually got in trouble for doing or saying things the administration deemed "inappropriate".

Upvote 0

Mongoose

So it goes.
Jan 17, 2004
Minnesota
✟17,244.00
Faith
Atheist
Robert43 said:
(AgapePress) - President Bush is being praised for stating that public school students should be exposed to different schools of thought on the subject of the origins of life.

Earlier this week, the president told reporters that schools should feel free to include alternative theories to Darwinism, such as intelligent design, in their science curriculum. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas," he told reporters, "and the answer is yes."

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/8/52005f.asp

A shame. Politicians have no right to decide what is taught in a science class; only scientists do. Bush is no scientist.

By all means, I support bringing intelligent design into public schools, so long as it stays out of the science classes and in the philosophy classes. That might not satisfy the Christians who are pushing for this though, because philosophy usually isn't a mandatory field. It would also probably be drowned out by the skeptical nature of western philosophy.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
revolutio said:
I'm all for it, but I would prefer non-scientific things stay out of science class. Frankly I have always disliked school's touchiness on the subject of religion I think it would help to have more classes on the topic in public schools.

How about two science classes then? A general (evolution) class and a religious (creationism) class both involving biology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
L

large fry please.

Harpuia said:
How about two science classes then? A general (evolution) class and a religious (creationism) class both involving biology.

Could you briefly explain how ID and/or religion is part of science? Well you don't have too, ID claims an absolute, there is not much room for intellectual inquiry. "Life is too comlpicated, sooooo there must be a GOD." Thats it in a nut shell isn't it???:D Let the path of knowledge begin....Whats next?

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is within reason with what he's saying. If you have to give equal time because a chunk of people believe in something, then you gotta give equal time to those things.

Alchemy's just the ancient form of Chemistry, just like YEC is the ancient form of, well, a lot of stuff.

BTW, anyone reading the article will notice Bush is being praised by, oh, the institution that's basically pushing for ID. Well duh of course they're going to praise him for basically supporting them.

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Harpuia said:

"Creationism has not made a single contribution to agriculture, medicine, conservation, forestry, pathology, or any other applied area of biology. Creationism has yielded no classifications, no biogeographies, no underlying mechanisms, no unifying concepts with which to study organisms or life." - Botanical Society of America's Statement on Evolution

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inconel

Cold-Hearted Realist
Mar 2, 2005
✟15,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mongoose said:
Politicians have no right to decide what is taught in a science class; only scientists do. Bush is no scientist.

Amen. That's why the courts should stop accepting lawsuits by groups who oppose any teaching other than Darwinism.

Upvote 0

fyodoros

May 30, 2005
✟653.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
"Creationism has not made a single contribution to agriculture, medicine, conservation, forestry, pathology, or any other applied area of biology. Creationism has yielded no classifications, no biogeographies, no underlying mechanisms, no unifying concepts with which to study organisms or life." - Botanical Society of America's Statement on Evolution
i wanted this to get the attention it deserves.

and to add: does ID have enough information for one class, one day, let alone one class, seven days a week, 100 and however many days kids are in school? honestly, other than trying to refute evolution, what have IDists done?

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

large fry please. said:
Bush can barely formulate a sentence, and now he is telling Amerika how to educate our children.? This is like Tom Cruise who has been through two failed marriages advising humans on the proper way to think. They are both idiots.:D
I am sure he can formulate a sentence just fine, he has two degrees from IVY League Institutions. Some people are simply not gifted speakers

Upvote 0

Heiroglyph

Jan 6, 2005
✟7,492.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It makes no sense for schools to keep teaching something that runs contrary to the religious beliefs of many of the students and at the same time serves no purpose in science. Absolutely nothing is based on the theory of evolution it is just standing out there all on its own affecting nothing and there is no reason to keep teaching it. Biology does not depends on it, physics do not depend on it, medicine does not depend on it, absolutely nothing depends on it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.