Sep 15, 2002
✟16,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
US President George W. Bush was forced to settle for a face-saving compromise on a key counterterrorism law that fell far short of his goal to see it expended indefinitely.

Bush wanted no time limits attached to the measure, but had to take what his Republican allies in Congress were able to extract from an unyielding coalition of Democrats and several Republicans.

"The work of Congress on the Patriot Act is not finished," Bush said in a brief statement. "I look forward to continuing to work with Congress to re-authorize the Patriot Act."

Source

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
How arrogant this man must be to expect Americans to rally around a bill that minimalizes Americans' rights and loosens restraints on the government to the point where he would have it go into the law books indefinitely! Pray to God this dangerous act does not remain in effect another day, much less indefinitely.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Defensor Fidei said:
How arrogant this man must be to expect Americans to rally around a bill that minimalizes Americans' rights and loosens restraints on the government to the point where he would have it go into the law books indefinitely! Pray to God this dangerous act does not remain in effect another day, much less indefinitely.

Great bouncing icebergs Batman, we agree on something!

Except that I don't believe that prayer helps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pantsman52

Senior Veteran
Dec 29, 2003
Fairfield
✟4,755.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
jamesrwright3 said:
Kill it so the terrorists can get a victory. Great thinking there.

Oh bu bu bu the terrorists! You must love the terrorists and hate our freedom loving society!!! I, as a proud American, will gladly give up the rights that this country was founded on in order to defeat the evil terrorists!

Upvote 0

awesome liver

Mar 1, 2005
✟16,471.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
jamesrwright3 said:
Kill it so the terrorists can get a victory. Great thinking there.
yeah and you offer a much more indepth commentary as a retort. genius.

it violates the rights of the individual and as an american, we ought to remember the constitution comes before the executive branch's will.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

pantsman52 said:
Oh bu bu bu the terrorists! You must love the terrorists and hate our freedom loving society!!! I, as a proud American, will gladly give up the rights that this country was founded on in order to defeat the evil terrorists!

Sorry to break it to you, but no one is infringing upon civil liberties and no one is having to give up their rights

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Selznak

No King But Jesus
Jul 6, 2003
Nevada
✟17,278.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
jamesrwright3 said:
Sorry to break it to you, but no one is infringing upon civil liberties and no one is having to give up their rights

James, what makes you believe that a law that provides the government with the power to abrogate due process would not be something that might be abused?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe the Patriot Act needs to be amended, but I am not sure whether all the provisions need to be scrapped.

I hope that enough time will be spent over the next six months crafting a new Patriot Act which will give us additional protection against terrorists without violating the privacy rights of Americans.

Upvote 0