Burning the Koran bad?

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Catherineanne said:
Well if they were in Arabic, then they ought not to have been disrepected or burned. But if they were defaced first by their owners, then that is the greater sin, and that is the reason for them being destroyed.
Assuming that the messages were a part of fighting the war it may not be seen that way.

They didn't need to be destroyed for military reasons. The US military are not the people to decide if and how they ought to be disposed of for religious reasons - that would have to be referred to a Mawlawi.

It is asking a lot of our armed forces to put their lives in danger every day from those who would not hesitate to kill them, and at the same time to show restraint in relation to Islamic holy texts, particularly when already defaced.
If they cannot then they cannot afford to be there. They will bring a jihad on themselves and then Mujahadeen will unite against them as they did against the Soviets.

Burning them is militarily and politically incompetent and/or deliberately offensive.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Assuming that the messages were a part of fighting the war it may not be seen that way.

They didn't need to be destroyed for military reasons. The US military are not the people to decide if and how they ought to be disposed of for religious reasons - that would have to be referred to a Mawlawi.

If they cannot then they cannot afford to be there. They will bring a jihad on themselves and then Mujahadeen will unite against them as they did against the Soviets.

Burning them is militarily and politically incompetent and/or deliberately offensive.

I agree. Although I would tend to veer towards the incompetent interpretation, rather than the deliberately offensive one.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Catherineanne said:
I agree. Although I would tend to veer towards the incompetent interpretation, rather than the deliberately offensive one.

Neither is out of the question when US personnel have done such things as urinating on them in front of prisoners. And burning them is such a monumental piece of incompetence. (how can a military entrusted to look after weapons capable of killing millions of people in one hit not be able to look after a handful of books?)

But then the US and NATO have demonstrated their incompetence over Afganistan time and time again from the top down.

So I kind of vacillate.

Of course either way whoever should be taking the rap for it will cover their own backside.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't make anything up. I just remind people of the rules that already exist; whether they choose to follow those rules is up to them.
Where do your little rules exist?

My reality is as I describe. I don't worry about anyone else's. Why should I? :)

Glad you have a reality.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible is not the same thing as Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is God the Bible is not. The Bible is the inspired word of God but it is not God.
The words I speak to you, Jesus said, they are spirit they are life. Would not His words be part of Him? The word of God to man is special. It will go on after this world passes away.

Upvote 0
J

James Clarkston

There was no Koran when the books were burned in the new testament. If there were, and one was in the pile would that be a bad thing? I notice that people are killed in revenge for burning a book...is this reasonable? Are not people more valuable than paper?

Yes, the koran would have been burned as it is a false religion...making it one of the curious arts that God has banned from His presence.

No matter how you slice it, none of this stuff is going to survive this present age. When it's over, only God's Word will stand, and rightfully so!

Originally Posted by Ave Maria
The Bible is not the same thing as Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is God the Bible is not. The Bible is the inspired word of God but it is not God.

Unless you are prepared to call God a liar... it is not possible to separate God from what He has said because God and His Word are ONE.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, the koran would have been burned as it is a false religion...making it one of the curious arts that God has banned from His presence.

No matter how you slice it, none of this stuff is going to survive this present age. When it's over, only God's Word will stand, and rightfully so!
So would it be wrong to burn Darwin books and korans now?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Christian12 said:
, never had one , but if I did then I would need to find a way of disposing of it .
Take it to an imam.

Not sure why you would possess one unless you can read Arabic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Christian12 said:
If a book is not good to read for me , then I surely would not give it to another person , and be contributing to their deception , Burn it privately , spare a soul !
Don't fool yourself into thinking that burning a Quran is going to lead someone into Jesus' kingdom.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If a book is not good to read for me , then I surely would not give it to another person , and be contributing to their deception , Burn it privately , spare a soul !
So when the apostles burned books, they did not spare a soul?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since the koran is garbage , just how would one dispose of it ? I have burned books before but not a koran , never had one , but if I did then I would need to find a way of disposing of it . Burning may be a good way .But publicly may be just asking for trouble .
So if we burned occult books, that is OK? Maybe we would offend a witch?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
dad said:
So when the apostles burned books, they did not spare a soul?
1. Nothing in Acts makes me think that the action described there was about that. It's about them burning the incredibly valuable tools of a lucrative but immoral trade.
2. Since the invention of the printing press burning a book does not deprive someone else of it.
3. Since the Quran is in 7th century Arabic, reading one requires a large investment of effort. Someone with that commitment will be able to source one to read.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Christian12 said:
Ya Burn all the hell bound books and let the devil wail ! If it will Save a soul from deception , that is a good thing , try to get them saved if God peradventure !

I suspect Satan would be overjoyed at your adversarial mentality.

How do you think "a soul will be saved" by you burning a Quran. The printer might sell one more copy to make up for it. Not much else in the world will change for the better.

Upvote 0