Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They invited bin Laden to set up shop in Afghanistan. They gave him money from their opium profits to finance the 9/11 attacks.

Who is they? I think you're referring to the United States. I've heard about some of this. I also hear that the US also helped Sadam.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Who is they? I think you're referring to the United States. I've heard about some of this. I also hear that the US also helped Sadam.
"They" being the Taliban. As for Saddam, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend", which is how aid went to Iraq in its war with Iran. That doesn't mean an ally doesn't later become an enemy. We sold scrap iron to the Japanese, too, some of which went into the Zeros that bombed Pearl. They were our ally in WWI, if you didn't know.

You read too many left-wing nutcase blogs. Fuzzy thinking that never considers changing geopolitical dynamics over the long term fails miserably at piecing together good analysis. Yeah, we helped Saddam. Why not? He was our friend at the time. Later, he wasn't. Some people should learn that "Alternative media" is usually some guy with a bug up his rear-end writing whatever his adolescent-level emotions lead him to write as opposed to actually dealing with truth.

By the way, your spelling of "Saddam" (minus one "d") is the name President Bush used for him. It means "horse's ... " well, you get the idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
WinBySurrender said:
They invited bin Laden to set up shop in Afghanistan.
Wrong
They gave him money from their opium profits to finance the 9/11 attacks.
Wrong
Such flow of money as there has been us the other way. The Taliban were running a whole county on next to nothing. They brought opium production to the lowest it's been.

Mullah Omah issued many declarations that foreign nations should not be attacked from Afghan soil - but he had no means of enforcing that on Al-Qaeda

He would almost certainly have done what he could to facilitate an arrest of Bin Laden if a trial in an Islamic country under Islamic law had been on offer.

They spent the rest of that money
The tiny budget they had was spent on the civil war, and the rest more effectively than anybody else has spent money in that country on bringing security, building infrastructure, ....

imprisoning their own people under a hardline Sha'ria law that had not one inch of give in it, with punishment automatically being the maximum allowable.
Yes, they've used sharia as their law, but no - they have not interpreted it in the hardest possible way. as one informed commentator notes, there have probably been more judicial executions in Texas than there were under the Taliban government. And those often happened because the victim's family insisted on execution, as is the family's right under that law.

You're smoking some good stuff if you think those turban-charged airheads weren't in control of things over there.
The us, with all its might couldn't control bin laden. Neither could Saudi with all it's money and religious influence. There's no way the Taliban could.

Oh, puh-leeze! I can't believe you actually posted that drivel.Again, drivel. Kandahar was liberated with a combination of British Special Forces, US air power and armed Afghani resistance fighters.
Stop buying into all the US propoganda and western media spin. Kandahar is a disaster precisely because hardly any locals support NATO presence dispite the efforts to win hearts and minds.

Read something besides left-wing blogs occasionally, please. "Zero corruption"??? Is that what you call financing terror and tyranny with opium money?
They've never had much opium money. They did have a civil war to finance. The rest of what money they had was spent enormously efficiently rebuilding the country.

:doh: How much do you think opium brings in in a day? Trust me, its nearly as much as the US spends on the war.
'fraud not. You've been sold a lot of spin.

I'd like a straight answer from you on this: Why are you apologizing for a terrrorist organization? Are you that severely brain-washed by the left that you think what you're spouting is the truth??
I've read more than western spin and government propaganda. I've been to NWFP and seen the Pastun and Chitrali cultures first hand, ive read up on the history that brought the Taliban Into existsnce, I've done some critical thinking,...

I've made some effort to understand them instead of demonizjng them first and the looking for ways of supporting that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
One estimate of the Taliban Governments annual budget from a member of the Karzai government.

In the New York Times, the Finance Minister of the United Front, Wahidullah Sabawoon, declared the Taliban had no annual budget but that they "appeared to spend US$ 300 million a year, nearly all of it on war." He added that the Taliban had come to increasingly rely on three sources of money: "poppy, the Pakistanis and bin Laden."[202]
Note that:
bin Laden is a source.
This is the whole budget to run a country and fight a civil war in the north.
It doesn't try to break the figure down into legitimate income, poppy, bin Laden, and Pakistan as there is no information to do that with.

Now compare

How much is the war costing the US:
A March 2011 Congressional Research Service report notes the following about Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) Afghanistan: 1) following the Afghanistan surge announcement in 2009, Defense Department spending on Afghanistan has increased 50%, going from $4.4 billion to $6.7 billion a month.

6.7 billion a month is 80 billion a year. 266 times the annual Taliban total budget. Not quite the 365 times of my comment, but the same order of magnitude.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They invited bin Laden to set up shop in Afghanistan. They gave him money from their opium profits to finance the 9/11 attacks. They spent the rest of that money imprisoning their own people under a hardline Sha'ria law that had not one inch of give in it, with punishment automatically being the maximum allowable...

Thanks for filling in the details about the Taliban for which I made a general statement about. I think some people just need to go on a "walk-about" to discover reality.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
WinBySurrender said:
Ebia, I don't trust your figures because they don't agree with the facts.
Lol
And you continue to apologize for these terrorists without explanation. Why are you even here?
Because the truth matters.

Nowhere does the bible suggest it's okay to make up stuff, or distort the truth, about others.

"you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free"

Not

"make up lies and half-truths to make your enemies look bad"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pureinheart

May 23, 2010
✟15,852.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Almost like the man in the office doesn't really care one way or the other. Playing both sides against the middle?

This is what I have felt through his entire administration. It's difficult to pin him down on anything...good post dad

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is what I have felt through his entire administration. It's difficult to pin him down on anything...good post dad
Thanks. I have never distrusted anyone as much as this man. He reminds me so much of the man of sin, or false prophet. Words smoother than butter...flatteries...deceive....blasphemy....etc.

Seems to me he sold the US soul to the devil basically, by getting them so deep in debt. Nothing seems to be allowed that would give them even a small hope of getting free of it either! Not the use of fossil fuels that could be produced there, or anything. Something isn't right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hendricks62

Mar 28, 2012
✟15,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Burning the Koran is meant to incite anger and hatred. It is a hateful thing to do and this is completely the opposite of what Jesus taught. Although I don't believe the Koran to be the true word of God, I still don't believe that burning it is a good thing to do. God is love remember? :D

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Burning the Koran is meant to incite anger and hatred. It is a hateful thing to do and this is completely the opposite of what Jesus taught. Although I don't believe the Koran to be the true word of God, I still don't believe that burning it is a good thing to do. God is love remember? :D
So when the early church burned books that was what they tried to do? Absurd. God hates evil.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And what else is He? If you can't answer this, your reveal the reason you have this opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When some country says do not preach the gospel...too bad. So much for peace.

Preach against their idolatry, but let them burn their idols.

Still don't think they had any right to complain about the US burning its own property, but nonetheless I suppose there could have been a better effort to live at peace.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Preach against their idolatry, but let them burn their idols.

Still don't think they had any right to complain about the US burning its own property, but nonetheless I suppose there could have been a better effort to live at peace.
If books are the idols it's funny, the early Christians burned them, rather than ask the united idol workers to do it.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If books are the idols it's funny, the early Christians burned them, rather than ask the united idol workers to do it.

They burned their own books after they converted, according to Biblical account.

Did they go around burning other people's books? I don't recall any Biblical account of that.

Upvote 0

praisehimalleluia

Amazing Grace
Aug 18, 2009
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Inciting anger is not the way Christ called us to preach His Gospel to the world. When we study Evangelism, we realise that by respecting the faith of a person, we then can crave a path to communicate, discuss religion, indirectly to start evangelising.

NOw, those who burn another faith's holy books, incites anger and hatred towards CHristianity, that makes christians look nasty.

Christians are not supposed to look nasty. We ought to represent ourselves with a humble nature. Non of Christ apostles was ever like the people of today.

How on earth are we suppose to invite muslims to be friends with us, in order to pray for their salvation, etc. How, when christians themselves touch their sensitivities in religious matters. Hmmmm

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
wiremu.white said:
They burned their own books after they converted, according to Biblical account.
And as an enormously costly part of them giving up that lifestyle. There's no hint that it's done as a cheap symbolic way of offending others as would be the case with Quran burning, nor that anyone in question regarded them as semi-divine.

Upvote 0