Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Parents are required to guide their children. It is unnacceptable for fiteen year old boy to leave the house dressed like a girl.

That is just common sense.

If a parent can't even get that right they are not much of a parent.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
not in my house

I'm sorry to hear that.

If you have to exercise external control at the age of 15, then it is very doubtful indeed that you have their internal respect. Even more sad, a child who is externally overcontrolled will often lack self control, and as soon as any freedom comes their way, they will go off the rails with a vengeance.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Parents are required to guide their children. It is unnacceptable for fiteen year old boy to leave the house dressed like a girl.

That is just common sense.

If a parent can't even get that right they are not much of a parent.

What exactly do you mean by 'unacceptable'?

Do you mean 'deserving to be murdered'?

Surely not. :)

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Anyone with a 15 year old will know that the way they dress is no longer under the control of their parents. Teenagers use their apprearance as a way to express who they are, and they are entitled to do so without being murdered, whatever they wear.

The responsibility for this crime is with the person who committed it, who is a murderer. And the wider responsibility is with all of us to ensure that our own personal insecurities do not turn into hatred towards anyone, and that tolerance is much more widely disseminated among our young people.
That's not true...it's called setting boundaries and consistently enforcing them. My daughters aren't allowed to wear clothes that show their belly button or that are too tight or revealing--they can choose their own style within those parameters. My sons are expected, other than if there's some freakish reason they're at a Scottish heritage event, to wear pants or shorts and shirts which aren't too tight or revealing.

I think it is absurd to expect teenagers to rebel- they test and push boundaries because they want to have assurance of what exactly those boundaries are.

The reality is that people do judge us by our appearances. Right or wrong on the part of everyone else- that is reality. I don't care if my 16 year olds dye their hair crazy colors or shave it all off or have a mohawk--but I want them to understand deeply that choosing those styles have an effect on how they will be treated. There is also a standard of different appearances/styles of dress for different occassions. My son wants to wear make-up ala Robert Smith? Well- that's fine if he's hanging out with his friends- but not okay for school or church or work (unless he has a job in a Cure cover band). Parents of teenagers can set and enforce limits, while at the same time respect their freddom of expression--and all the while guide and teach them how their style choices are viewed by others.

Not saying that anyone deserves to be killed for their personal expression--but the world is the way it is and there is a long history of violence against those who appear different. To pretend that it doesn't have that history just seems like sticking one's head in the sand to me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.