Visit site
✟28,906.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It came from Jesus Himself.

John 3:3
In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. "

The actual issue comes from people who do not understand the true meaning of this. Some people actually view the words "Born Again" as a denomination.

To Catholic, being "born again," usually refers to the transformation that God’s grace accomplished in us during baptism.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Are You a Born Again Christian ... == is there evidence in your life , home , and walk ... evidence that you love and serve God ( Matthew 25.32-42 the corporal works of mercy )

John 3.3-8 except you be born again of water ( baptism ) and of spirit ( confirmation ) you cannot enter into the kingdom

Has there been a change of heart , a metanoia ( Ezekiel 36.26 )and of purpose ( James 2.26-6) within you , by the conviction of the Holy Spirit & the instructions of your faith to do more than attend services ...

Upvote 0

Sandlapper277

Dec 26, 2006
✟15,694.00
Faith
Catholic
It came from Jesus Himself.

John 3:3
In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. "

The actual issue comes from people who do not understand the true meaning of this. Some people actually view the words "Born Again" as a denomination.

To Catholic, being "born again," usually refers to the transformation that God’s grace accomplished in us during baptism.
Ding-ding-ding, no more calls, please, we have a winner!

This one gets under my skin. I'm the only Catholic in my family of tons of Protestants, and they love to hurl this "born again" stuff in my face. We were all born again at our Baptisms, this is the teaching of the church from the beginning.

I don't know if they view "born again" as a denomination, though. In my experience, people are looking for some form of emotional experience to call being "born again".

Upvote 0

Windlord

Jan 13, 2006
Indiana
✟992.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The ancient meaning of born again has been covered rather well I think.
As for the new meaning that many evangelicals have put to it, that has only been used recently, but has it's roots in the Revivalism of the 19th Century, and somewhat in the Great Awakenings of the 18th century.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.