Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
An infant gets baptised.

This infant grows into a little girl, full of hope, joy and a belief in GOD.

This little girl continues her walk with GOD into adolescence...talking about GOD's love and Jesus to everyone she sees, because of her parents faith and maybe a catechism class at church, then a teenager emerges.

This teenager continues to love GOD with all her heart, and learns that Jesus said to love other's with all her heart no matter what, and despite what the secular world tells her she should become....she grows into a young woman. She loves church and loves that her parents taught her scripture.

This young woman walks with the LORD with joy and doubt and more joy and continues and continues loving GOD, despite her job telling her she can't talk about GOD at work, despite what her peers tell her that GOD doesn't exist, etc. Her daily devotional helps her deal with the world today...her faith grows and grows as she ages many years, continuing to learn from our GOD and His word...into old age.

The old woman dies, who used to be this same young woman...professing Jesus in her heart and mind.

Where is the supposed "born again" experience for her?

I don't see it and reject the entire claim that the bible mandates "born again christians"/a regenerate church membership as being the only way to be the true Church.
There are TONS of Christian denominations that would claim that this little infant baptised would NEVER be able to do this, hence NEVER being a Christian in the first place, and MUST show otherwise to be a Christian as a young adult or at the "age of accountibility".

Thoughts?

I have plenty of thoughts, but I don't know I personally have any answers.

Ultimately, God knows each and everyone of our hearts...and only Him.

:)

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with this. I believe that an infant can know God though.

There is a charming old saying (I can't remember exactly and must paraphrase).....when a soul is about to be placed in a new being the angel places his finger on the spot just above the infant's lip...making the little indention and says, "shhh, don't tell anyone what you know."

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NRB-

In the evangelical churches there is much made of repentant sinners coming forward during the invitation at the end of the service. They state that they have accepted Jesus Christ and repent of their sinful lives, are baptized either immediately or very shortly afterwards, and become members of that church as soon as the baptism is completed. This is what some call being 'born again'.

Then there are those who were reared in the church. They learned what Christianity entails at a very early age through the recitation of The Nicene Creed, The Apostle's Creed, and the teachings in their classes as they grew up.. This was clarified further in the catechetical classes they were required to take prior to their being accepted as members of the church. At the end of the catechetical class they were asked whether they accepted the teaching of the church, which included the efficacy of Christ's sacrifice. They affirmed that they did indeed accept it, and upon doing so were confirmed as full members in the confirmation ceremony.

In spite of what certain radical churches claim, these people are also 'born again', and can be assured of salvation. There are some who are members of radical denominations who would try to convince us that we must accept Christ in the way they teach (invitation, baptism by immersion) or else we are lost. But the truth of the matter is that they are 'pushing' to increase their own church membership.

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NRB-

In the evangelical churches there is much made of repentant sinners coming forward during the invitation at the end of the service. They state that they have accepted Jesus Christ and repent of their sinful lives, are baptized either immediately or very shortly afterwards, and become members of that church as soon as the baptism is completed. This is what some call being 'born again'.

Then there are those who were reared in the church. They learned what Christianity entails at a very early age through the recitation of The Nicene Creed, The Apostle's Creed, and the teachings in their classes as they grew up.. This was clarified further in the catechetical classes they were required to take prior to their being accepted as members of the church. At the end of the catechetical class they were asked whether they accepted the teaching of the church, which included the efficacy of Christ's sacrifice. They affirmed that they did indeed accept it, and upon doing so were confirmed as full members in the confirmation ceremony.

In spite of what certain radical churches claim, these people are also 'born again', and can be assured of salvation. There are some who are members of radical denominations who would try to convince us that we must accept Christ in the way they teach (invitation, baptism by immersion) or else we are lost. But the truth of the matter is that they are 'pushing' to increase their own church membership.

Excellent thoughts! Thankyou. :)
Many baptist churches that I attended, and a few non-demon ones were "radical" in this aspect I guess.

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we do not go far enough when we discuss the 'born again' experience that Jesus talked to Nicodemus about (Jn.3:1-8), and what the Apostle Paul discussed in his letters (Col.2:11). Is this a natural experience (due to religious observance) or is it a supernatural experience resulting in religious observance? God can act upon 'the unregenerated' church going Bible studying people while they are going through the motions....so to speak. Like someone already posted....it is impossible for any of us to know just when the Holy Spirit may have baptized their soul into Christ's Spiritual body where it was cleansed of sins (1Cor.12:13) (Eph.1:3,7), then regenerated by the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5).

Upvote 0