Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You answered your question... In your question.

Turn your thoughts towards Jesus and away from yourself.

Thank him everyday for the things you say he did for you and what he will do in the future.

Pray always.

Phil 4:6-8; Colo 3:1-4; Romans 12:1-2

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There is the idea of restitution. So maybe there are some thing that you need to restore to people if you have done a type of sin, like stealing, that things can be restored. Otherwise, I think the guilt isn't from God and God would want you to let it go.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel bad for all the things that I did before I was born again. The guilt makes me feel bad as a person even though I am free and redeemed. How can I stop thinking about that and think about all God has for me and to see my calling and where to serve God?

The FIRST thing that you need to realize is that the "Voice" (internal or external) that rips, tears and condemns you, and tosses all the garbage up - isn't God's Voice at all. it's the enemy (the messenger of satan) who HATES YOU, and all you stand for.

And when you realize THAT, then realize that you don't have to listen to it, since it's only PURPOSE is to destroy you, and your relationship with God. SO - tell the enemy to take his condemnation and judgmentalism and stick it where the sun don't shine. yell at him if you feel like it (probably not in public, lest people begin to wonder), and remind your ENEMY just WHO YOU ARE in Christ - i.e. PERFECT in God's sight, and cleansed from ALL sin by the Blood of Jesus sacrifice, and in possession of the very righteousness of JESUS (which is the ONLY REAL righteousness you'll ever have).

Of course if there's "Practical restitution" to be made in any situation, then MAKE IT to the degree that you can. IF a situation is Non-Reversable (as some situations are) then face that fact, and move on.

Just imagine what Paul went through after years of destroying Christians - and then winding up as the "Apostle of Christ the Gentiles". HE had his OWN "Messenger of satan" screaming in his ear too. We All do.

It takes a bit of practice, and in one respect, the "Normal Christian Life" DOES require some mental hygene, and the ability to say "NO" when you should.

I remember a pastor years ago in Michigan, who had a "Besetting sin" (I don't know what it was) that he tended to fall into. And after he did it AGAIN. he repented - AGAIN, and cried out to the Lord that he was sorry that he'd "done it again". And the holy Spirit said: "done WHAT again??"

WHen you repent in faith the sin is GONE (farther than the East is from the West). Of Course SATAN remembers it, and LOVES to toss it in your teeth every chance he gets. But God doesn't.

Simple as that.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some more Scripture for what they're saying... "we take captive every thought to make it obey Christ" (II Cor 10:5) and "...be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind" (Rom 12:2).

Several years ago a poster said pride keeps us from accepting G_d's forgiveness. I wasn't just mad about that post, I was furious. But after I calmed down, I realized if I kept thinking about my sins instead of His forgiveness, I wasn't accepting His Word that says He forgives and forgets (Jeremiah 31:34, I John 1:9 and Rom 10:9-10). Since He doesn't hold it against me, then why am I still focusing on it. I was allowing my past, my repented sins, have more weight than His forgiveness!

So when those untruths come, we can immediately start thinking on Scriptures such as "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:9

Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
The FIRST thing that you need to realize is that the "Voice" (internal or external) that rips, tears and condemns you, and tosses all the garbage up - isn't God's Voice at all. it's the enemy (the messenger of satan) who HATES YOU, and all you stand for.

And when you realize THAT, then realize that you don't have to listen to it, since it's only PURPOSE is to destroy you, and your relationship with God. SO - tell the enemy to take his condemnation and judgmentalism and stick it where the sun don't shine. yell at him if you feel like it (probably not in public, lest people begin to wonder), and remind your ENEMY just WHO YOU ARE in Christ - i.e. PERFECT in God's sight, and cleansed from ALL sin by the Blood of Jesus sacrifice, and in possession of the very righteousness of JESUS (which is the ONLY REAL righteousness you'll ever have).

Of course if there's "Practical restitution" to be made in any situation, then MAKE IT to the degree that you can. IF a situation is Non-Reversable (as some situations are) then face that fact, and move on.

Just imagine what Paul went through after years of destroying Christians - and then winding up as the "Apostle of Christ the Gentiles". HE had his OWN "Messenger of satan" screaming in his ear too. We All do.

I couldnt have said it better myself Bob!! I also suggest you read Psalm 119....I am reading it at the moment and it really explains how God loves us and won't let us go through these tribulations alone.
Satan loves putting seeds of doubt into our minds....we have the power to ignore them and that is our armour of salvation...wear that armour proudly and Satan will have a more difficult time trying to plant his seeds of doubt

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the next 30 days, wake up each morning and renew your mind with this scripture:

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

better yet .. do this for the rest of your life .

Reactions: Cramoisie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 8, 2014
✟7,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It takes a bit of practice, and in one respect, the "Normal Christian Life" DOES require some mental hygene, and the ability to say "NO" when you should.

I remember a pastor years ago in Michigan, who had a "Besetting sin" (I don't know what it was) that he tended to fall into. And after he did it AGAIN. he repented - AGAIN, and cried out to the Lord that he was sorry that he'd "done it again". And the holy Spirit said: "done WHAT again??"

WHen you repent in faith the sin is GONE (farther than the East is from the West). Of Course SATAN remembers it, and LOVES to toss it in your teeth every chance he gets. But God doesn't.

Simple as that.

Amen to this!

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Keep reminding yourself that the enemy is the accuser of the brethren.

We tend to think of the devil as the tempter toward evil, but I think our human nature does enough in that realm. The way to really bring a believer down, is to crumble their concept of God's love that covers everything.

Zechariah 3:1

Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him.

śâṭan Hebrew # 7853 שָׂטַן

Brown-Driver-Brigg's Definition

(Qal) to be or act as an adversary, resist, oppose

Strong's Definition

A primitive root; to attack, (figuratively) accuse: - (be an) adversary, resist.

If you are hearing accusations, it's likely not God. Because He is the One who provided you a way for freedom from accusations and guilt.

Upvote 0