tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably not but He's not a sinner.

True...but I wonder if He had to sit through any boring school lessons, dellivered by boring teachers, for example. i wonder if being bored IS actually a result of our sinfulness, or if we get bored because of the geberal fallenness of everything - I mean, nothing is ideal

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

I generally don't have a problem with "contemporary" church services or the tendency away from liturgy as a principal means of worship. I attend a church that uses contemporary praise and worship music and is not liturgical in the slightest. Heck, I even play in the band.

But, I think that the points brought up by the O.P. are good reminders for all of us, whatever style of "worship" our individual congregations may employ.

My experience has been that, by and large, God does not scream (in Elijah's experience, the still small voice, or perhaps more accurately, the small stillness). If we are to hear Him, then we must learn the art of being quiet. This is perhaps all the more important in our current society in which we are addicted to distraction and thinking. During my morning meditation, I became aware of how loud it gets between my ears after about 20 minutes of silence. I find it remarkable that I cannot quiet myself for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. But, it stands to reason: Rarely do I ever just sit, without distraction. When I do, it is usually because I have set aside time for "meditation". But, generally speaking, I need to look at or listen to a TV, computer, book, or some other form of meditation. I suspect that most of us struggle with this. I suppose the only way to change is to consciously practice, not just on Sundays, but every day, through deliberate prayer and meditation.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

I, for one, do not consider 'contemporary' worship to be worship at all. Fellowship yes... worship no.

IMHO ~ It either is the Liturgy, or it is not.

Forgive me...

I guess we disagree, then. IMHO, neither contemporary "worship" nor formal liturgical "worship" is inherently worship, nor is either inherently not worship. Worship is about the direction of one's devotion toward God. As such, worship is not defined by any particular activity. Worship may manifest itself in activities such as singing songs, preaching, prayer, meditation, Bible Study, reaping sacred or liturgical phrases, and performing acts of kindness. Likewise, one may do one or more of these and not be worshipping. For example, if a person participates in a church service, but his heart is not directed toward God, that person is not worshipping, no matter what type of service it is. Similarly, if a person, during a corporate "worship service" does devote his heart and mind toward God, then it matters little whether the service is "contemporary" or "liturgical"; he is, by definition, worshipping.

I was hoping not to get into this debate, but since you brought it up, it is worthwhile considering what it means to truly worship. Perhaps, we should add to the list of reasons that people find themselves bored in church is that we have the mistaken notion that "worship" is something that must be done corporately and in a certain style dictated by man-made traditions and customs. Thus, when we only worship on Sundays in Church, we find it to be of no real significance to the rest of our lives.

Just a thought. Although I disagree with you on this point, the posted article was quite helpful. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tansy
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess we disagree, then. IMHO, neither contemporary "worship" nor formal liturgical "worship" is inherently worship, nor is either inherently not worship. Worship is about the direction of one's devotion toward God. As such, worship is not defined by any particular activity. Worship may manifest itself in activities such as singing songs, preaching, prayer, meditation, Bible Study, reaping sacred or liturgical phrases, and performing acts of kindness. Likewise, one may do one or more of these and not be worshipping. For example, if a person participates in a church service, but his heart is not directed toward God, that person is not worshipping, no matter what type of service it is. Similarly, if a person, during a corporate "worship service" does devote his heart and mind toward God, then it matters little whether the service is "contemporary" or "liturgical"; he is, by definition, worshipping.

I was hoping not to get into this debate, but since you brought it up, it is worthwhile considering what it means to truly worship. Perhaps, we should add to the list of reasons that people find themselves bored in church is that we have the mistaken notion that "worship" is something that must be done corporately and in a certain style dictated by man-made traditions and customs. Thus, when we only worship on Sundays in Church, we find it to be of no real significance to the rest of our lives.

Just a thought. Although I disagree with you on this point, the posted article was quite helpful. Thanks for posting it.

I do understand what you are saying.

However...

The Liturgy is given to us by Christ God himself, as he taught Peter, James and John.

I believe that to be the better option.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just out of curiosity, can you direct me to Scripture to support that assertion?

It is history not found directly written in scriptures.

Study liturgy for just a little while and we discover how very far back it goes...

I belong to the Church of Antioch. The liturgy in use there was adopted from Jerusalem... it was later written down by Antioch and attributed to St. James as having been taught by Christ after his resurrection.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I, for one, do not consider 'contemporary' worship to be worship at all. Fellowship yes... worship no.

Forgive me...
Define what you think God considers worship?
It would be great if you could substantiate it with scripture as well.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Liturgical worship as we see in the book of Revelation.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Just out of curiosity, can you direct me to Scripture to support that assertion?

The "Old Testament". It's not just a record of when the Jews made mistakes, it also records when they did things right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
D

dies-l

The "Old Testament". It's not just a record of when the Jews made mistakes, it also records when they did things right.

Liturgical worship as we see in the book of Revelation.

Forgive me...

Can you elaborate? I am not trying to debate; I am just trying to understand your perspective. Can you cite some examples in the OT or in Revelation that indicate how Christians are expected to worship? Feel free to PM me if either of you want to answer without derailing the thread (or we can expand the scope of the thread if you prefer). I am legitimately curious about this.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Forgive me...
I've been thinking about this, it's rather pompous you know? When we gather together, it is to focus on God and to worship Him in His fullness. We don’t evaluate worship on the basis of what it does for us which to me would be more of a fellowship thing, in fact to evaluate worship like is to substitute affection for objective trust. When we gather to worship God, He is the object, our salvation is the source, our purpose is to give to Him in both spirit and truth.
Spirit and truth like David...
1 Praise the LORD, O my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
~~~~~~
11 Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been thinking about this, it's rather pompous you know?

Don't you realize that we feel the same way about contemporary "worship".

Nothing is maintained in it.... NOTHING. The Liturgy is the cycle of the Church teachings. It must be maintained.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Don't you realize that we feel the same way about contemporary "worship".

The difference is that the idea of "contemporary worship" does not assume that there is anything wrong with "liturgical worship." Most people with a preference for a contemporary corporate worship style do not believe that their preference is the only valid one. However, to say that contemporary worship is not really worship or that the liturgy is the only valid way to worship God is directly hostile to those who worship differently than you. Nobody here is saying that a liturgical style of corporate worship is not acceptable; if we were than your comparison would be appropriate.

Nothing is maintained in it.... NOTHING. The Liturgy is the cycle of the Church teachings. It must be maintained.

Forgive me...

I am still curious. Is this based on Bible or tradition? If it is a Biblical position, please explain using specific examples from Scripture.

Upvote 0